4 minutes ago, capologist said:

It really took no effort at all.  Sorry, I'm not going to play his little gotcha games...

challenging your statements with thoughtful questions isn't playing 'gotcha'. if your input is to merely tell us what you 'fundamentally disagree' without bothering to engage in a discussion about which you disagree, then this is merely a waste of everyone's time. don't offer your thoughts if you don't plan to defend them.

• Replies 96.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Hoopah!

• Leon Troutsky

• Psychic Gibbon

• AF89

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saving for posterity...just sayin'

Besides some of the negatives (like some dumb tweets) I'm getting what I voted for.  I wanted an outsider who was willing to change the old status quo Washington and (GOP) and take care of the nasty,

That's your fall back, I should've just posted that for you to save you some time.  

Posted Images

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Having a small number of people accumulate large amounts of wealth and give it to their children, who do not have to work or achieve anything, undermines economic meritocracy.  

So yeah...the libertarian party, according to you, is promoting aristocracy over meritocracy.  

are you ok with the government seizing every piece of property and every family heirloom after your parents die and giving them to the masses?

Just now, Dago 3.0 said:

are you ok with the government seizing every piece of property and every family heirloom after your parents die and giving them to the masses?

This is a deeply offensive idea to me, I'm not trying to be mealy-mouthed here - anyone who thinks I should have handed my father's guitars, amps, guns, etc . . . over the the government after his death in 2011, and then buy them back, can, and should, go **** themselves. 

Just now, Dago 3.0 said:

"Every piece of property and every family heirloom"...no.  That's not what's being discussed.  What's being discussed is a complete elimination of the estate tax despite it being an effective tool at promoting one of libertarianism's core principles, economic meritocracy.

"Every piece of property and every family heirloom"...no.  That's not what's being discussed.  What's being discussed is a complete elimination of the estate tax despite it being an effective tool at promoting one of libertarianism's core principles, economic meritocracy.

I suggest you go back and read what Achilles and others were saying before you jumped in. mdrake even used the example of his fathers' guitars

maybe you don't quite realize exactly what you were jumping in to support

Just now, achilles return said:

challenging your statements with thoughtful questions isn't playing 'gotcha'. if your input is to merely tell us what you 'fundamentally disagree' without bothering to engage in a discussion about which you disagree is merely a waste of everyone's time. don't offer your thoughts if you don't plan to defend them.

More than happy to defend MY thoughts.  His question isn't one that is thoughtful nor challenging, it's merely him trying to say I don't believe in what I say I believe in which isn't true at all.  I know exactly what I believe in and my statements are consistent with that.  If you or anyone else wants to talk specifically about my opinion on the estate tax then so be it but what he's doing is nothing more than needling and as I told him before--I'm done with that...

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

This is a deeply offensive idea to me, I'm not trying to be mealy-mouthed here - anyone who thinks I should have handed my father's guitars, amps, guns, etc . . . over the the government after his death in 2011, and then buy them back, can, and should, go **** themselves. 

And very few people promote that idea.  I certainly don't.  And those who promote it are definitely on the fringe of the issue.  

Then every party in American history, including the GOP, was founded on that idea.  Ending slavery was not the same as equality for racial minorities.  

I never even mentioned the GOP...I know they were founded on that as well

the GOP wasn't even a part of this discussion. why is it we can't even discuss the Democrat party without someone saying 'but the GOP is the same or worse!"?

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

So you agree with some level of estate taxes?

yes....just not to the extent of what Achilles was saying

it comes down to this....you all were trying to lampoon Libertarians for not agreeing with one of the beliefs of Adam Smith. do you agree with every opinion of the founders of the Democrat party? of the modern Democrat party?

1 minute ago, Dago 3.0 said:

I never even mentioned the GOP...I know they were founded on that as well

the GOP wasn't even a part of this discussion. why is it we can't even discuss the Democrat party without someone saying 'but the GOP is the same or worse!"?

We're talking about libertarian philosophy and the estate tax, actually.  YOU brought up other parties, and seem to confuse party with ideology, and also seem to confuse core philosophical principles with historical practices that were (unfortunately) universally accepted at that time.

Unless you think that economic meritocracy is irrelevant to libertarian philosophy.  

Just now, Dago 3.0 said:

it comes down to this....you all were trying to lampoon Libertarians for not agreeing with one of the beliefs of Adam Smith. do you agree with every opinion of the founders of the Democrat party? of the modern Democrat party?

Okay, so you recognize that the estate tax can help promote economic meritocracy.  Cappy apparently disagrees and supports a complete repeal of it.  Unless I misread his posts.

Just now, Dago 3.0 said:

i merely said the estate should be raised. i didn't provide an extent.

2 minutes ago, achilles return said:

no one is taking their father's guitars.

PG is my dude, smug as he may be, but him snarkily telling me that I should have either bought back my dad's guitars or gotten new ones is the most offensive thing that's ever been said to me on here.  It might not make sense to anyone but me, but one of the few things my dad and I shared was music and guitars, and while we didn't have the greatest relationship always, we always had that in common.  I remember him and honor him daily by playing his guitars. 

And I've had all kinds of horrible things lobbed at me over the years by snak, wfw, sobeit, etc. . ., but that took the cake. 

We're talking about libertarian philosophy and the estate tax, actually.  YOU brought up other parties, and seem to confuse party with ideology, and also seem to confuse core philosophical principles with historical practices that were (unfortunately) universally accepted at that time.

Unless you think that economic meritocracy is irrelevant to libertarian philosophy.  

i already stated my beliefs about the estate tax, didn't I?