silentbob1272

The Trump Presidency

32,281 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Remember when you said it would be criminalized to preach that homosexuality is a sin? Good times. 

That and when he claimed there could...it should be a civil war  because marriage equality was made the law

mdrake34 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Good news. Trump says he doesn't need daily intelligence briefings, because he's a "smart person".

He's got this, y'all

http://time.com/4597376/donald-trump-fox-news-intelligence-cia-russia/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

“I say, ‘If something should change from this point, immediately call me. I’m available on one-minute’s notice,'” he said. “I don’t have to be told—you know, I’m, like, a smart person. I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years.”

People don't click links, so just for clarifications sake.

I see his point, but I always railed on Obama and how oblivious he was to the optics of his idiotic behavior (running to play golf the moment after giving a presser on an American being beheaded). Same deal here. I hate repetitive meetings as well, but he should take the daily briefing, someone may decide that subtle changes may not warrant a call to the president, but these changes are still important for him to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

No, it wouldn't. Free speech operates differently in Canada than it does here. There it can, and is, regulated to prosecute speech that is designated as hateful (among other things). You could say it's more of a privilege there than a right there.

Here you can say pretty much anything you want short of threatening or inciting violence. The closest thing you'll get here in terms of laws are ones where businesses, schools, etc. are barred from denying service to protected classes of people who have historically been discriminated against.

I agree and I thought I was clear on that, but there is a potential loophole, you listed it above. The same thing has happened in Sweden as has in Canada. Hate speech potentially has a wide range of interpretations. You may think that someone who sees a more far flung interpenetration of scripture as "Biblical hate speech" will never also see that same speech as an inspiration for violence and will not try labeling it as such. I'm not as certain of that. Hopefully you're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

The same thing has happened in Sweden as has in Canada.

Again, comparisons of free speech in other countries does not support anyone's arguments in free speech in America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

I agree and I thought I was clear on that, but there is a potential loophole, you listed it above. The same thing has happened in Sweden as has in Canada. Hate speech potentially has a wide range of interpretations. You may think that someone who sees a more far flung interpenetration of scripture as "Biblical hate speech" will never also see that same speech as an inspiration for violence and will not try labeling it as such. I'm not as certain of that. Hopefully you're right.

Again, the concepts and legal frameworks of freedom of speech are fundamentally different between the United States and those countries. I get you want to push this because it fits a 'liberals are going to take our freedom away,' narrative but it's just not flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

A I get you want to push this because it fits a 'liberals are going to take our freedom away,' narrative but it's just not flying.

 

17 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

 

Now the Republicans have more power at the federal level than they've had in ~90 years -- as well as more power at the state & local level than they've had in.. hmm I dunno.. ever? -- and so far all some Democrats seem to wanna do is play the blame game. They really need to get their sh*t together. It's embarrassing.

 

Especially given this.  How are the democrats going to trample free speech when they don't even have the power to do so?  Goreadup has already assured us Trump will be a two term president. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

Especially given this.  How are the democrats going to trample free speech when they don't even have the power to do so?  Goreadup has already assured us Trump will be a two term president. 

Youtube and Twitter already have bias teams to ban conservative viewpoints. Universities around the country have already passed censorship rules. A few "news" sites already pledged to be even more biased to ensure Trump doesn't happen again.

Since they lost politically, the left has increased their efforts culturally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

Youtube and Twitter already have bias teams to ban conservative viewpoints. Universities around the country have already passed censorship rules. A few "news" sites already pledged to be even more biased to ensure Trump doesn't happen again.

Since they lost politically, the left has increased their efforts culturally.

I thought they did all of that before the election? And I thought you said Trump would take back universities? I might be thinking of one of your other alts though, hmfic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

I thought they did all of that before the election? And I thought you said Trump would take back universities? I might be thinking of one of your other alts though, hmfic 

They've escalated from whining to temper tantrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

He knows words......lots of great smart words....he does not need to read more words that are not as great .

 

Hopefully when he gets the briefings he takes (let's just say generals advice) unlike his predecessor who very seldom met with them in person.  The DIA director said he never met with him in 4 years.  That won't happen on Trump's watch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard some beaterhead on CNN this morning (Democrat apologist, with accompanying Trump apologist on the other side) say this:

"They are trying to legitimize Trump!"

Last I checked, the election legitimized Trump.  Since when did we operate from the presumption that after an election, it is incumbent upon the winner to not only assume a posture of illegitimacy, but also to specifically NOT "try() to legitimize" the winner?

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I heard some beaterhead on CNN this morning (Democrat apologist, with accompanying Trump apologist on the other side) say this:

"They are trying to legitimize Trump!"

Last I checked, the election legitimized Trump.  Since when did we operate from the presumption that after an election, it is incumbent upon the winner to not only assume a posture of illegitimacy, but also to specifically NOT "try() to legitimize" the winner?

Why do you watch CNN if you dislike it so much, and find it so 'biased'?

big_dog likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol::lol:

The moonbat section of the left really is freaking the **** out.

WE ARE NOW AT WAR WITH RUSSIA!!

because Hillary lost and stuff

Image result for scott hall gif

 

Check out this dingbats new avatar

screen-shot-2016-12-12-at-9-30-41-pm

A putz like Olberman sees himself as "The Resistance". 

Hey dip****, if Obama is still in power, and the people duly elected Trump. How did a coup take place again?

marla_mulder likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

:lol::lol:

The moonbat section of the left really is freaking the **** out.

WE ARE NOW AT WAR WITH RUSSIA!!

because Hillary lost and stuff

Image result for scott hall gif

 

Check out this dingbats new avatar

screen-shot-2016-12-12-at-9-30-41-pm

A putz like Olberman sees himself as "The Resistance". 

Hey dip****, if Obama is still in power, and the people duly elected Trump. How did a coup take place again?

Yeah, Olberman has been off his rocker for a very long time.  His rant about Scott Brown was an epic meltdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

BREAKING -- High-ranking sources in the Department of Defense inform the New York Times that the Russians are stealing our precious bodily fluids.

AIVRJPE.jpg

at this point, even if it was true.  a lot of people wouldn't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lostone said:

at this point, even if it was true.  a lot of people wouldn't believe it.

I remember looking at a poll (Gallup maybe?) that predates the Russian hysteria that found that the American public doesn't have a lot of faith in the competency and honesty of US intelligence agencies.

mfaulk57158 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I remember looking at a poll (Gallup maybe?) that predates the Russian hysteria that found that the American public doesn't have a lot of faith in the competency and honesty of US intelligence agencies.

Unless it deals with bombing brown people, then we believe the heck out of that ish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eatcorn said:

Why do you watch CNN if you dislike it so much, and find it so 'biased'?

I wasn't watching, I was listening on satellite radio.

Putting "biased" in scare quotes doesn't really change anything.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I wasn't watching, I was listening on satellite radio.

Putting "biased" in scare quotes doesn't really change anything.

I really just meant to underscore that bias is a subjective thing.

Really, why listen if you find it biased? I'm not trying to be accusatory. I just don't quite understand why folks pay mind to the things they dislike so much, and dismiss so easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eatcorn said:

I really just meant to underscore that bias is a subjective thing.

Really, why listen if you find it biased? I'm not trying to be accusatory. I just don't quite understand why folks pay mind to the things they dislike so much, and dismiss so easily.

I listen to and watch and read a lot of things that are biased.

I don't deny they are biased or pretend they are unbiased.  Bias is fine -- assuming bias is admitted.  It's when people pretend to be unbiased and are in fact biased that there is a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now