silentbob1272

The Trump Presidency

96,928 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, BrockSamson said:

Income inequality is only bad because it causes crime except it doesn't cause crime because really crime is caused by the poors being jealous of the not poors so really income inequality is good. 

Genius.

Where did I say income inequality is good? I even gave a reason why it's bad because it makes people envious; making them resort to criminal acts.

5 minutes ago, Doozer said:

Where did I say income inequality is good? I even gave a reason why it's bad because it makes people envious; making them resort to criminal acts.

the need for poverty to be a character flaw is such a gross trait in your brand of sociopathy

Boner and BrockSamson like this

3 minutes ago, achilles return said:

the race to the bottom in labor protection, capital flight, union busting, and tax policy is why income and wealth inequality have exploded over the last several decades and is also why this young lady is dead.

She died because of income inequality?

Seriously?

Okay, If she were rich she wouldn't have needed a job. I guess that's a reason.

4 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

It's not just about the income inequality. Its about everything it leads to. Income inequality leads in lifespan inequality. Educational inequality. Leads to one side being able to eat every night, while the other is working 2 jobs to survive.

On top of that, you have the wealthy dictating what poor people do. The wealthy can afford to finance the campaigns of politicians. The poor cannot. Which is why you don't see poor people eating at the $200 plate dinners with local politicians. The rich do though.

So, you claiming there's no downside is false. I'm sure plenty of people have pointed it out, but you can't acknowledge it because your stance would be ruined...

So your gripe is that rich people can do stuff that poor people can't.The fits into the Webster's definition of income inequality. It's also the reason why people play the Lottery.

You guys seem to like anecdotes. Here's one.

A woman learned that her male counterpart was getting paid at a higher tier salary than her. She sued the government agency crying sexism. Their was no mention about productivity, just money. She won the lawsuit. In response the agency lowered the man's salary to match hers. She admitted in an interview that it never occurred to her that they would do that. She assumed she would get a raise. (true story).

You guys are basically advocating the same principle, asking: Why can't we all be Rich?

What the left is actually doing with these income inequality policies is making everyone poor.

3 minutes ago, achilles return said:

the need for poverty to be a character flaw is such a gross trait in your brand of sociopathy

Envy is a character flaw, but It can also be a motivator. Being poor is a financial state, and is just an arbitrary line based on a comparison to the larger community. One nation's poor is another's uber rich.

"Wages have plateaued for nearly four decades, prices have increased, benefits have decreased, public services have been gutted, safety standards reduced, etc. This has all been done to increase the wealth at the top."

'But how is this a bad thing? Poor people are just jealous of rich people!'

300px-Ex%C3%A9cution_de_Marie_Antoinette

1 minute ago, Doozer said:

Envy is a character flaw, but It can also be a motivator. Being poor is a financial state, and is just an arbitrary line based on a comparison to the larger community. One nation's poor is another's uber rich.

lmao

Just now, Doozer said:

So your gripe is that rich people can do stuff that poor people can't.The fits into the Webster's definition of income inequality. It's also the reason why people play the Lottery.

You guys seem to like anecdotes. Here's one.

A woman learned that her male counterpart was getting paid at a higher tier salary than her. She sued the government agency crying sexism. Their was no mention about productivity, just money. She won the lawsuit. In response the agency lowered the man's salary to match hers. She admitted in an interview that it never occurred to her that they would do that. She assumed she would get a raise. (true story).

You guys are basically advocating the same principle, asking: Why can't we all be Rich?

What the left is actually doing with these income inequality policies is making everyone poor.

My gripe is that this a democracy. Money shouldn't buy you rights.

Your anecdote is part of the problem. You're looking at the income of the workers, and claiming that somehow, this highlights your point. It does not.

The story goes like this... Rich guy, and 2 poor people are sitting at a table. There's 10 cookies. Rich guy take 9. He then tells Guy 1, "You better watch out, that guy is going to take your cookie..." That's the point. They use lower wages to benefit themselves.

Here's an anecdote... I worked for a factory when I was 18. Made $8/hour. We made parts for GM. The floor decided that they wanted to look into the Union, with wages being the number one concern. Reps from GM came down, had a meeting, and said that if we as much as reached out to a Union Rep, they would pull their contracts, and leave us all unemployed. They couldn't have the poor folk eating into their gross margin...

1 minute ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

My gripe is that this a democracy. Money shouldn't buy you rights.

Your anecdote is part of the problem. You're looking at the income of the workers, and claiming that somehow, this highlights your point. It does not.

The story goes like this... Rich guy, and 2 poor people are sitting at a table. There's 10 cookies. Rich guy take 9. He then tells Guy 1, "You better watch out, that guy is going to take your cookie..." That's the point. They use lower wages to benefit themselves.

Here's an anecdote... I worked for a factory when I was 18. Made $8/hour. We made parts for GM. The floor decided that they wanted to look into the Union, with wages being the number one concern. Reps from GM came down, had a meeting, and said that if we as much as reached out to a Union Rep, they would pull their contracts, and leave us all unemployed. They couldn't have the poor folk eating into their gross margin...

What did the rich guy do to earn 9 cookies?

Do you still work for GM? Did that episode make you want to quit and work somewhere else? Did that other company offer more to lure you there? or did you somehow improve your resume so you'd be qualified for a better job?

That's how the market works. Treat your employees like crap, and you are less able to draw labor.

Welcome to Capitalism, where the point is generating wealth and protecting personal property.

On a related note, while working for the Union, how many worthless employees did you come across? People you thought should have been fired for being so incompetent? Were you angry they were making the same $8/hr?

11 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

"Wages have plateaued for nearly four decades, prices have increased, benefits have decreased, public services have been gutted, safety standards reduced, etc. This has all been done to increase the wealth at the top."

'But how is this a bad thing? Poor people are just jealous of rich people!'

And yet people have access to more technology and enjoy a higher standard of living than their parents and grand-parents before them.

We have an obesity epidemic, and I saw a homeless guy begging for "food" on my way to work talking on his cell-phone. But, let's focus on the CEO making soooo much more than the janitor.

4 minutes ago, Doozer said:

And yet people have access to more technology and enjoy a higher standard of living than their parents and grand-parents before them.

We have an obesity epidemic, and I saw a homeless guy begging for "food" on my way to work talking on his cell-phone. But, let's focus on the CEO making soooo much more than the janitor.

does access to a cellphone somehow make being homeless more palatable in your mind

3 minutes ago, Doozer said:

What did the rich guy do to earn 9 cookies?

Do you still work for GM? Did that episode make you want to quit and work somewhere else? Did that other company offer more to lure you there? or did you somehow improve your resume so you'd be qualified for a better job?

That's how the market works. Treat your employees like crap, and you are less able to draw labor.

Welcome to Capitalism, where the point is generating wealth and protecting personal property.

On a related note, while working for the Union, how many worthless employees did you come across? People you thought should have been fired for being so incompetent? Were you angry they were making the same $8/hr?

That's how it SHOULD work. It does not. That's the problem with income inequality. The rich guys make sure that it doesn't work that way... That's why they push trickle down. They know that the money stays at the top...

I never worked for the Union. I left to work retail since the Job market sucked and the factories paid d*ck. Retail paid a few more cents an hour.

As far as me now, I'm one of the rich people. I pay more in taxes than most make. I'm not a do*chebag though, so I understand that it's simply the price I pay for my success. And honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit. My wife and I talked about this last night. The money we save from this tax bill will have 0 affect on how we live. None. An extra $1-2k a month is not going to change what we can do. We can already do what we want...

11 minutes ago, Doozer said:

You're definitely the type of dip**** Fox tailors this stuff for.

603048_v2.jpg

BrockSamson and falconsd56 like this

2 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

That's how it SHOULD work. It does not. That's the problem with income inequality. The rich guys make sure that it doesn't work that way... That's why they push trickle down. They know that the money stays at the top...

I never worked for the Union. I left to work retail since the Job market sucked and the factories paid d*ck. Retail paid a few more cents an hour.

As far as me now, I'm one of the rich people. I pay more in taxes than most make. I'm not a do*chebag though, so I understand that it's simply the price I pay for my success. And honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit. My wife and I talked about this last night. The money we save from this tax bill will have 0 affect on how we live. None. An extra $1-2k a month is not going to change what we can do. We can already do what we want...

You should be on the side of removing regulations so Politicians won't have the power to manipulate the market to such an extent that it makes it more profitable to bribe candidates, rather than draw more customers.

Also, I'm assuming you're to join the handful of people (0) who are going to give an extra $1-2K to the government to lower the debt, since it doesn't affect you.

I'm also wondering how a $200 dinner is right? and why no one complains about Big Climate, and Big Education, like they do Big Oil, and Big Pharmacy.

9 minutes ago, achilles return said:

does access to a cellphone somehow make being homeless more palatable in your mind

It speaks to poor life choices as a bigger contributor to his state than some CEO buying their third yacht.

here's price changes in consumer goods and services over the last twenty years:

Inflation-Things-You-Need-vs-Things-You-

here's real median income (blue line) over nearly the same time frame:

saupload_366f0a6a471cae6275a577a4be225f7

so running in here being all indignant at the unfair criticism of income inequality and pointing to the availability of cellphones to justify your insatiable desire to lick the boots of the wealthy is going to result in a lot of people in this thread laughing at you. the reality is the most fundamental costs for maintaining the same quality of life as our parents and grandparents - education, childcare, medical care - have all skyrocketed, and show no sign of stopping. during the same span of time, real wages have stagnated or even regressed, and all of this is happening in a backdrop of corporations being incredibly profitable and extremely high income among the wealthy.

Psychic Gibbon and Boner like this

10 minutes ago, Doozer said:

You should be on the side of removing regulations so Politicians won't have the power to manipulate the market to such an extent that it makes it more profitable to bribe candidates, rather than draw more customers.

Also, I'm assuming you're to join the handful of people (0) who are going to give an extra $1-2K to the government to lower the debt, since it doesn't affect you.

I'm also wondering how a $200 dinner is right? and why no one complains about Big Climate, and Big Education, like they do Big Oil, and Big Pharmacy.

yeah man just eliminate those regulations! we promise you don't be cut in half by malfunctioning robot in shady factory in rural alabama while making a buck above minimum wage. 

14 minutes ago, Doozer said:

It speaks to poor life choices as a bigger contributor to his state than some CEO buying their third yacht.

look, i already know you're a terrible person, you don't need to keep highlighting this

HolyMoses likes this

5 minutes ago, achilles return said:

here's price changes in consumer goods and services over the last twenty years:

Inflation-Things-You-Need-vs-Things-You-

Name the industries that the government has been manipulating the most. Hint: they're all trending up.

Can we all (both sides) just agree to stop this nonsense?  This ruse is not getting anything accomplished.  One side won, one side lost.  Let that just be a lesson in how to campaign next time.  Things are going well and only getting better.  Stop your tears, grab a beer, and let's just enjoy the ride for the next 7.  

marla_mulder likes this

Just now, Doozer said:

Name the industries that the government has been manipulating the most. Hint: they're all trending up.

this explains why medical care is so much more expensive in the government-run wastelands of europe, right

Boner and Ezekiel 25:17 like this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, achilles return said:

this explains why medical care is so much more expensive in the government-run wastelands of europe, right

That is explained by their lack of investment in research and innovation; focusing on providing BASIC proven care. There is no room for frivolous studies when people are dying! Basically they're mooching off our hard work.

There is a reason why more medical innovations are placed on the open market (free to use and be manufactured by any company) by the USA, than the rest of the world combined X4.

There is also the lawsuits, but that's a cultural thing and a bigger conversation (but government intrusion related)

Edited by Doozer

10 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Can we all (both sides) just agree to stop this nonsense?  This ruse is not getting anything accomplished.  One side won, one side lost.  Let that just be a lesson in how to campaign next time.  Things are going well and only getting better.  Stop your tears, grab a beer, and let's just enjoy the ride for the next 7.  

No one cares about your ignorant opinion you dunce.

Ezekiel 25:17 and big_dog like this