Why we lost today

tl;dr

2 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Quinn cost us 3 points which would have won the game, no arguments there. Ryan cost the team 9 points. Special teams cost us 7 points. This defense is young and I get it....but they are young and terrible.

I just think that had Quinn made those decisions, that 2PC would not have been near as costly. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Quinn's inability to think strategically is killing us.   Started chasing points way too early.   You'd think after Bruce Arians did the exact same thing last week he'd learn from it but nooooooo. . . . .

He has 0 faith in our defense ...hes applying probability rule with our offense.

Am I the only one that has an issue throwing a pass outside in that situation on the 2-pt. conversion?  Just seems like the biggest risk for the result we got.  Run, throw over the middle or even a fade.  Throwing that kind of pass kind of sets you up for the D to convert that 2-pt conversion.

31 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Dan Quinn.

Did not have the team prepared for that fake punt.

That horrible decision to not kick the field goal on 4th and 1 early in the 2nd half.

The decision to go for 2 and try to make it 27-24 instead of kicking the PAT.

Ryan played possibly his worst game of the season. But we would not have been in that situation if Quinn had not made those 4 bone headed calls. We would be 8-4 if not for horrific coaching. 

You have so many flaws in here.  The Fake punt, I agree.  The rest is hindsight.  You play to win.  If we kicked the FG, and still couldn't stop their offense, then what?  Matt Ryan didn't have his worst game, he just made his worst decisions on 2 plays.  He actually had a pretty solid game.

1 minute ago, slamee101 said:

This was my stance.  I know it seems like I'm being negative nancy but it's just hard for me to believe in a Quinn lead team for the reasons you've stated.  I said he's a Mora clone last year and I still believe that to be true.  God help us if blows this season b/c the playoffs were basically gift-wrapped for us.

I don't think he will, we seem to be in this play a good game/play a bad game mode, which young teams tend to do.....although poor coaching and bad QB play did blow it last year. 

How's the heck do you allow a scrub team like Kc, Beatty your at home? They are ranked neat the bottom on offense and defense. Just a terrible game. Ryan player like crap. Shannahan had some sorry RZ plays. Defense did it's normal crap. Can't convert a 2 point conversion to save the world. 

1 minute ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You have so many flaws in here.  The Fake punt, I agree.  The rest is hindsight.  You play to win.  If we kicked the FG, and still couldn't stop their offense, then what?  Matt Ryan didn't have his worst game, he just made his worst decisions on 2 plays.  He actually had a pretty solid game.

I was on the side of taking the points and kicking the PAT. That's my beef. Sometimes you have to trust your team. 3 points there was much better than not having 3 points

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I agree that Quinn is young and still learning. It would be stupid to fire him IMO. We are definitely a team on the rise.

But today you saw that Quinn is not on a Smitty level yet. Sometimes you can't get too aggressive. We went from a super conservative coach, to one who is too aggressive. We need a happy medium. It's okay to kick FG's in the red zone sometimes. I hated the first 2 FG's we made, but they were the right calls. 

Quinn isn't aggressive where it counts though. They guy will put the offense in some stupid positions but will rush 3 and play soft zone all day on defense where we were sold a line of "fast and physical". This team isn't even in the same zip code as physical. Jam the WR's and send an extra man at the QB if you want to be aggressive coach and quit leaving points all over the field.

3 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

Am I the only one that has an issue throwing a pass outside in that situation on the 2-pt. conversion?  Just seems like the biggest risk for the result we got.  Run, throw over the middle or even a fade.  Throwing that kind of pass kind of sets you up for the D to convert that 2-pt conversion.

I didn't like it either. We were having success running. Try that. 

Just now, MSalmon said:

You all do realize that the Chiefs are a good if not great team, right? Not too mention Andy Reid is a seasoned and successful HC.

we lost. Period. It happens.

matt didn't play horribly, he made mistakes. It happens, as well.

Yes, we realize all that. We also realize we should not have lost to that team at home. 

Tired of excuses. 

Just now, NCFalconfan said:

Quinn isn't aggressive where it counts though. They guy will put the offense in some stupid positions but will rush 3 and play soft zone all day on defense where we were sold a line of "fast and physical". This team isn't even in the same zip code as physical. Jam the WR's and send an extra man at the QB if you want to be aggressive coach and quit leaving points all over the field.

Yeah I see that position. The soft zone does suck. We just leaves guys wide open which is infuriating. On the offense side, we are way too aggressive sometimes though

Just now, tl;dr said:

I was on the side of taking the points and kicking the PAT. That's my beef. Sometimes you have to trust your team. 3 points there was much better than not having 3 points

True, but the Chiefs were hot.  They really used a lot of trick plays.  The OL held Beasley and Freeney all day.  It was probably just one of those games that we were meant to lose.  People are saying that Ryan had a terrible day, but he was actually having his way against that defense.

The Falcons are their own worst enemy.  We have chance after chance to set the tone in a game and can't.  I feel that when a team has a chance to defend us in the red zone, we will more than likely come away with 3.  When we defend a team in the red zone, more times than not they score TDs. 

Falcons scored on their first dirve.  Got the ball back and a bunch of help from K.C. via penalties and we could only manage 6 points in those other possessions.  We should have at least been up 17 to 6, but it ended up in "Typical Falcons Field Goal Fashion" a 13 to 6 lead so that when K.C. scored for the second time, we ended up tied after 3 scoring drives.

Falcons will not go anywhere playing like this.  The end result will be no different than under Mike Smith.  Win a lot of games in the regular season, then 1 and done in the playoffs.

Edited by isproab

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Yes, we realize all that. We also realize we should not have lost to that team at home. 

Tired of excuses. 

YES. This is my point. This is a good team (their record speaks for themselves). But this is also a game we gave to them. 

Just now, middlegatv said:

If the Rams go down the field with their sorry offense and score a TD on their first drive ....

I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that they won't. This is the worst defense in the league regardless of what the stats say. Imagine how bad it would be if our high scoring offense didn't put so many teams in obvious passing positions for a good portion of games along with eating a lot of play clock.

Just now, Faithful Falcon said:

True, but the Chiefs were hot.  They really used a lot of trick plays.  The OL held Beasley and Freeney all day.  It was probably just one of those games that we were meant to lose.  People are saying that Ryan had a terrible day, but he was actually having his way against that defense.

Now that I think about it, I agree. He just had his 2 worst plays at the worst time. Ryan's play did not help us in those moments, but I think those issues could have been negated if not for dumb decisions by Quinn

2 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

Lots of truth right here. He's all in on our offense, but the dude hasn't done shyt to fix our defense. We are the worst pass D in the league...we couldn't stop ME from throwing for 200 yards.

Just now, Vandy said:

Tired of excuses. 

No excuse. We just lost to a really good team. You of all people know that a young and building team makes dumb mistakes. And sometimes the turn around takes a couple of years. We already lost Trufant. In this game Julio and Jake abd maybe Sanu have injuries. Looking at the big picture were competitive now, capable of elite play at times, but may be a year away from really being that great team.

smitty and TD inherited a vastly different team. Defensively the cupboard was not bare, as it was post-Nolan 

Just now, tl;dr said:

YES. This is my point. This is a good team (their record speaks for themselves). But this is also a game we gave to them. 

Reminds me a lot of Tampa and San Diego games we lost at home earlier this year. Games we had no business losing. 

1.  Horrible early play calling by Shanahan inside the 5, resulting in two FGs.  

2.  Bad throw and unnecessary risk on the pick 6 before halftime... 100% on Ryan.  

3.  Horrible awareness on the fake punt.  

4.  Just plain stupid call going for it on 4th and not taking the points.  It was WAY to early in the game but if you're gonna go for it at least call a decent play.  Matt had no chance on that play.  

5.  Going for two when it's 27-22.  No evidence that the defense could stop anything, you have to assume they will score at least another 3.  So then it's 30-23 and you're getting the ball again.  

6.  Chasing two again was expected and the right call, just horrible play call and even worse execution by Ryan.  

Summary:  As bad as Ryan played this loss has to go on the coaching staff.  Unlike Ryan, they have plenty of time to think about the choices they make during the game.  

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

Now that I think about it, I agree. He just had his 2 worst plays at the worst time. Ryan's play did not help us in those moments, but I think those issues could have been negated if not for dumb decisions by Quinn

It's funny, because we went completely out of our normal 2 minute offense.  Passing the ball directly at Eric Berry, while throwing the Taylor Gabriel.  Julio or Sanu would have been able to shield the pass.  The smaller receiver was the perfect disaster despite how good he may be.