Does anyone think we'll ever see the black uniforms again?

1 hour ago, EightyEight said:

That image is incredibly high quality for something that had to be taken quite a while ago. I'm in awe.

It's from a still camera. The quality on still cameras has always been good, equal to TV HD if you will. You're just thinking about HD video/film on TV now as compared to even less than 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, fuego said:

It's from a still camera. The quality on still cameras has always been good, equal to TV HD if you will. You're just thinking about HD video/film on TV now as compared to even less than 10 years ago. 

While it's very true high quality images could be captured with older gear... Especially with medium & large format cameras... There is still a lot to be said about how amazing it was for the photog to capture an image like this.

First off, when shooting sports there is so much constant movement that it can be tricky to get things in focus even with today's far more advanced cameras equipped with hyper intelligent autofocus systems built in. Given that this is when Zook was a Falcon, the latest this shot could've been taken in 1975. Autofocus systems were not yet invented then, meaning the photog had to focus manually for the shot. Back then, it was the only option so folks had to be quick if they were shooting sports, weddings, wildlife, or anything else with a lot of movement, but it's still impressive.

Consider also that they had to nail the DOF (depth of focus) in order to get Zook in focus but to blow out the foreground & background. This means doing the math in your head to calculate a formula based on the aperture of the lens (how much light is being let in to the camera), the distance to the subject, and the shutter speed... And getting those settings dialed in, while also setting the focus manually... And getting the shot before the ball is snapped.

On top of that, they got stupidly lucky w/ the composition & lighting. Had the players been lined up slight off from where they were, or even a cloud rolled by overhead, a shadow may have been easily cast on Zook's face,thus losing a lot of that detail & sharpness from the photog nailing the DOF.

So, yes there was gear capable of doing great things back then, but you really needed to know how to use that gear to take advantage of a situation like the one in this shot.

6 hours ago, fuego said:

4 hours ago, k-train said:

While it's very true high quality images could be captured with older gear... Especially with medium & large format cameras... There is still a lot to be said about how amazing it was for the photog to capture an image like this.

First off, when shooting sports there is so much constant movement that it can be tricky to get things in focus even with today's far more advanced cameras equipped with hyper intelligent autofocus systems built in. Given that this is when Zook was a Falcon, the latest this shot could've been taken in 1975. Autofocus systems were not yet invented then, meaning the photog had to focus manually for the shot. Back then, it was the only option so folks had to be quick if they were shooting sports, weddings, wildlife, or anything else with a lot of movement, but it's still impressive.

Consider also that they had to nail the DOF (depth of focus) in order to get Zook in focus but to blow out the foreground & background. This means doing the math in your head to calculate a formula based on the aperture of the lens (how much light is being let in to the camera), the distance to the subject, and the shutter speed... And getting those settings dialed in, while also setting the focus manually... And getting the shot before the ball is snapped.

On top of that, they got stupidly lucky w/ the composition & lighting. Had the players been lined up slight off from where they were, or even a cloud rolled by overhead, a shadow may have been easily cast on Zook's face,thus losing a lot of that detail & sharpness from the photog nailing the DOF.

So, yes there was gear capable of doing great things back then, but you really needed to know how to use that gear to take advantage of a situation like the one in this shot.

I feel much more educated now. Thanks to both of you!

7 hours ago, Amos said:

I'm trying to figure out where this was played, because neither the Jets or Falcons played on AstroTurf. I do remember that the Falcons occasionally played at Grant Field whenever there were scheduling conflicts with the Braves. So I guess this was one of those times. Grant Field had AstroTurf from 1971 into the 1990s. 

It had to be a preseason game because according to PFR the only game played between the Falcons and Jets between 1970-1975 was in 1973 on the grass at Shea Stadium.

So I did some research and was able to figure out that on September 2, 1972 the Jets and Falcons did play a preseason game at Grant Field.

The throwbacks from the Smith era were fire, no doubt, but I personally enjoyed the ones this year against San Diego. It was more of the 90's feel and I loved it. 

Another team's retro uniforms I've always liked are the Seattle silver helmets and blue jerseys with green trim...Zorn/Largent era jerseys. Have the Seahawks used those yet?

8 hours ago, ContrarianPhuck said:

The throwbacks from the Smith era were fire, no doubt, but I personally enjoyed the ones this year against San Diego. It was more of the 90's feel and I loved it. 

Another team's retro uniforms I've always liked are the Seattle silver helmets and blue jerseys with green trim...Zorn/Largent era jerseys. Have the Seahawks used those yet?

Yeah I miss those. They were sweet. I don't recall them using those any since they moved into the new stadium and switched their logo and uniforms the first time.

On 11/29/2016 at 6:30 PM, D.B.N. said:

Why does it matter

we've had our current uniforms for over 10 years. Going into MBS is the perfect time, just makes sense. 

The current unis are fine, I'd rather go back to the 90s uni or stick with what we have. Look at what the Bucs and Jags are stuck with now, and Seattle got lucky with their refresh. Odds are we would get a ridiculous looking CFB or color rush style costume.

6 hours ago, Begotten912 said:

The current unis are fine, I'd rather go back to the 90s uni or stick with what we have. Look at what the Bucs and Jags are stuck with now, and Seattle got lucky with their refresh. Odds are we would get a ridiculous looking CFB or color rush style costume.

I think the Bucs uniforms are fine. Miles better than the Jaguars, Vikings, Bengals.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 0:03 AM, fuego said:

Those are baaaaaaaaad. I know this will never be our main uniform but I sure would like it. 

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:56 PM, TheUsualStuff said:

78623909_display_image.jpg?1315414709

Screen-Shot-2016-02-04-at-102431-AM.png

You might not prefer it, but there is nothing less than manly about black pants.

Those are my favorites.