Larry Fitzgerald Explains What Makes Julio So Good

birdz4i

Posted 6 hours ago

Andrew Hirsh

atlantafalcons.com Twitter

•  
  •  

During conference calls with the Atlanta media, Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald discussed their upcoming battle against the Falcons.

Head coach Bruce Arians

On Atlanta’s offensive success:
“They’re running the ball extremely well. It sets up a lot of really good play-action where (Matt Ryanicon-article-link.gif) has good protection and had Julio (Jones) running down the field and making big plays. I think they’ve done a great job on long plays and taken some short ones to the house. It all starts with running the football really well.”

On Dan Quinn’s defense:
"It’s extremely solid. They have a really good front. Obviously they’ve got some pass rushers off the edge. They’ve got some young guys who have a lot of speed."

On Dwight Freeneyicon-article-link.gif, who played in Arizona last year, being a mentor to young players:
“That’s Dwight’s forte. He (helps out) young guys and does a great job with Markus Golden and a couple of our young guys here last year. And he’s just an ultimate pro.”

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald

On Atlanta’s revamped defense:
"You see a lot of talent. They get (Desmond) Trufant back this week. They have some elite pass rushers and some great interior players, really fast, flowing linebackers. You see a defense that is really opportunistic. So we have our hands full playing in a hostile environment, playing against a top-ranked offense too, so you know you have to score points."

On Desmond Trufanticon-article-link.gif’s ability at cornerback:
“Watching him on tape, I see so many similarities – I had a chance to play against his brother for many years when he was in Seattle, Marcus Trufant. And Des is probably a little quicker and faster than his big brother. He’s great at recognizing and reading a route. He understands leverages and has tremendous ball skills. And he really can accelerate to the ball on deep balls. I remember playing against him a few years back. I had him on a post route and he closed the gap so quickly. So he’s got elite speed. Him and Alford – they are tremendously talented.”

On what makes Julio Jonesicon-article-link.gif so good:
“Coach (Shanahan’s) system is not an easy system. When I watch him on tape – I watch every single route Julio runs; our film crew puts (tape) together, so I watch everything that he runs – you’re never going to find him in the same spot. There are so many personnel groupings. They’re going to move him around; they’re going to put him in motion. So, it’s very difficult for you to game plan to stop him because he’s never in the same place. They move him around. They do a great job of getting him matched up on ‘backers when teams are in base defense and things of that nature. Aside from his freakishly unbelievable, God-given ability, in terms of running and quickness, he’s very intelligent to be able to digest everything that coach has him doing in terms of the formations and where he’s aligned. And then, obviously, his physical gifts are able to take over at that point.”

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Larry-Fitzgerald-Explains-What-Makes-Julio-So-Good/603d9578-4ab1-4b61-b75b-54d2664129af

I guess you can explain it from a technical stand point but that isn't what makes Julio great in my opinion.

There have been plenty of physically gifted dudes in the league who have never panned out. It's the guys who have the hunger to be great who make it. Now when  you get a guy with the physical gifts that Julio has to go along with that hunger/drive....well then you see greatness.

I was talking to my cousin about this today. As a Falcon fan I'm willing to go ahead and say this is the best receiver play we're going to see in our lifetimes. Julio isn't just ahead of the curve on his physical abilities as he's also ahead of the curve on how dedicated he is to his craft. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it myself because I truly believe we'll never see the two things, drive plus physical talent, cross paths so perfectly again.

2 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

It's hard to learn anything from being man-handled on the lines. You just don't go practice and work on being bigger and more physical.

Not really. You can learn better technique for getting off blocks, or better leverages. Your LB'ers can learn how to better fill their running lanes, or read a running play. Your DB's can learn from taking bad angles on a few running plays. There was a lot to learn from in that game for our entire defense.

23 hours ago, Jpowers said:

I guess you can explain it from a technical stand point but that isn't what makes Julio great in my opinion.

There have been plenty of physically gifted dudes in the league who have never panned out. It's the guys who have the hunger to be great who make it. Now when  you get a guy with the physical gifts that Julio has to go along with that hunger/drive....well then you see greatness.

I was talking to my cousin about this today. As a Falcon fan I'm willing to go ahead and say this is the best receiver play we're going to see in our lifetimes. Julio isn't just ahead of the curve on his physical abilities as he's also ahead of the curve on how dedicated he is to his craft. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it myself because I truly believe we'll never see the two things, drive plus physical talent, cross paths so perfectly again.

Preach. Julio is special. I'm talking T.O is his floor special- I don't know if he will ever be compared to Jerry rice. To me he will be what LeBron James is to Michael Jordan. He is just that talented. If he and Matt can stay together they will be breaking many many records. He could go down as one of the greatest of all time at his position. I'm a complete Homer btw lol :slick:

1 minute ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

Preach. Julio is special. I'm talking T.O is his floor special- I don't know if he will ever be compared to Jerry rice. To me he will be what LeBron James is to Michael Jordan. He is just that talented. If he and Matt can stay together they will be breaking many many records. He could go down as one of the greatest of all time at his position. I'm a complete Homer btw lol :slick:

It's all good. I was a few (several) glasses of Thanksgiving bourbon in when I made that post. :slick:

On 11/24/2016 at 11:12 PM, Jpowers said:

Well said. But I'm going to venture even beyond that eloquent description to say it's also his love of the competition and his awareness that he's the best there is at his craft. If great WR's are Fancy Hood Ornaments, Julio is the 90-foot tall Christmas Tree on the White House lawn. If Shiny Hood Ornament WR's are like bright flash lights that illuminate a weak defensive secondary, Julio is a 100K mega-watt laser weapon blasting a whole defensive scheme into chaos.

Julio doesn't trash talk, he doesn't play to the press, he doesn't dance in the end zone, he just kicks azz. He's so good, just his presence on the field forces defenses to bend and crack to keep him from beating them single-handedly. Julio is the Dale Earnhardt of the NFL, but without the need for a malevolent grin. A force of nature that doesn't need any labels or nick-names. The guy that will probably play the key role in getting the Atlanta Falcons their first Lombardi Trophy.

On 11/24/2016 at 11:12 PM, Jpowers said:

Only thing you left out is his complete lack of the diva gene that so many good WRs have.  Being that good and being that humble is an amazing combo.

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

2-11 3rd down conversion

Sounds like a defense stopping an offense but I have been known to be wrong.

Not trying to be disagreeable, don't want to end up  like the dogwood, but dropped passes, poorly thrown passes, stupid penalties and missed blocking assignments account for most of those. 

18 hours ago, Jesus said:

2-11 3rd down conversion

Sounds like a defense stopping an offense but I have been known to be wrong.

38:10 minutes of Time of Possession and 25 First Downs. Them being almost twice as much time on the field with their Offense had a lot to do with us losing that game

Edited by anm263

3 hours ago, anm263 said:

38:10 minutes of Time of Possession and 25 First Downs. Them being almost twice as much time on the field with their Offense had a lot to do with us losing that game

It's almost absurd to point out again but 2-11 on 3rd down. If the offense converts 45-60% of those 3rd downs then the eagles offense isn't on the field to get that TOP or first downs. Their defense shut down the Falcons Offense. 

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Jpowers said:

Yes, well played sir.  

That is the problem with greatness, it does not come round very often - must be savored.

If Julio can stay reasonably healthy over the next six years, he should be a hall of famer.

17 hours ago, falconidae said:

Only thing you left out is his complete lack of the diva gene that so many good WRs have.  Being that good and being that humble is an amazing combo.

Not trying to be disagreeable, don't want to end up  like the dogwood, but dropped passes, poorly thrown passes, stupid penalties and missed blocking assignments account for most of those. 

there is ALWAYS a reason falconidae!!!

#goodgrief

31 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

there is ALWAYS a reason falconidae!!!

#goodgrief

?? What did I say that was factually incorrect? Matt missed throws he's made all season long, Jones and Hooper dropped passes, stupid penalties put them in a hole. Whatever the eagles defense did, falcons helped them out way too much.

23 minutes ago, falconidae said:

?? What did I say that was factually incorrect? Matt missed throws he's made all season long, Jones and Hooper dropped passes, stupid penalties put them in a hole. Whatever the eagles defense did, falcons helped them out way too much.

my point is you seemed to be trying to explain away the 2-11 third down conversions - which I understand but bottom-line is it was jusy awful play just like if any other 31 NFL teams turned in this numbers.