Do you think Ryan will try to break the bank when he comes up for a new deal?

Begotten912

What do you expect to happen when we sit down to negotiate presumably in 2018? Will he set a new benchmark for franchise QBs or work out a team friendly deal to work the cap?

Ideally we get a deal done BEFORE he wins an MVP or Superbowl for us. Regardless, I think he has all the leverage and it's a matter of how flexible he wants to be. We also have to get ready to pay Trufant, Beasley, and Jake Matthews around the same time.

3 hours ago, Begotten912 said:

What do you expect to happen when we sit down to negotiate presumably in 2018? Will he set a new benchmark for franchise QBs or work out a team friendly deal to work the cap?

Ideally we get a deal done BEFORE he wins an MVP or Superbowl for us. Regardless, I think he has all the leverage and it's a matter of how flexible he wants to be. We also have to get ready to pay Trufant, Beasley, and Jake Matthews around the same time.

Hopefully NOT before he wins an MVP or superbowl. Fck waiting for 2 years. Win now, next year and the next 10 years after!

if he is extended before his current deal expires, it could very well provide cap relief to the team. this is often the case when reaching the final years of very lucrative deals. as long as he remains a falcon i could care less what they pay him, because we arent winning anything without him.

56 minutes ago, octoslash said:

One thing good quarterbacks don't have to worry about is being paid. 

I'm more concerned about spending more on Ryan's protection.  A pile of money to the Moon won't be worth s--- if he can't take more than 1 second to find a receiver.  

After getting abused the last few years I'm sure Ryan will be all for this. Getting his line and Free taken care of will probably better for his career. 

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

if he is extended before his current deal expires, it could very well provide cap relief to the team. this is often the case when reaching the final years of very lucrative deals. as long as he remains a falcon i could care less what they pay him, because we arent winning anything without him.

Matt's cap hit actually goes down in the last year of his contract. They can wait until 2019 if they want to.

10 hours ago, Begotten912 said:

I'd rather the Falcons get a Super Bowl win, before and regardless of Ryan's new deal. MVP is an award handed down by the league and has no real significance if you don't win the big game and the award can go to whomever. Ryan will be going on 34 when his new deal comes in to play, and if he's still looking good, then the Falcons will have no choice but to give him market value or more. Trufant is going to get a new deal in the offseason, and Beasley will get a new deal the following offseason. I believe the Falcons will be in good shape, because there will be the expired contracts of Jackson, and others to make room.

6 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I heard some of the 92.9 radio guys the other day saying we should be heading into the upcoming offseason with close to 40 million in cap space......

one thing about TD, as much as some of us gripe and complain about his ability (or lack thereof) to pick players, he's been GREAT at managing cap space

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

Matt's cap hit actually goes down in the last year of his contract. They can wait until 2019 if they want to.

We're already going to have $40M or more of cap space going into next season due to a bunch of dead money coming off the books.  No need to rush a deal just for cap space.

Archived