Undrafted Poole Impressed Quinn Early In Camp With His Competitive Nature

kwill770

ATLANTA — There’s no set-in-stone blueprint for a player that’s trying to make an NFL squad during training camp. It’s even harder to predict what an undrafted rookie needs to do to impress his coaching staff.

Atlanta Falcons safety Brian Poole might have figured out the game plan, though.

During the Dan Quinn Coaches Show Monday on 92-9 the Game, Quinn rehashed a story from way back in August. Poole was an undrafted rookie trying to make a name for himself. According to Quinn, that’s exactly what he did.

Quinn praised Poole for having the technique and discipline it took to match up against receivers of different size, speed and ability. While that talent flashed to Quinn, what sold the Falcons’ head coach on Poole had everything to do with heart.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2016/11/21/undrafted-poole-impressed-quinn-early-in-camp-with-his-competitive-nature/

Undrafted rookies are looking for opportunity. If I were in that position, I'd definitely be interested in trying out with the Falcons simply because Quinn and his staff are so open to finding talent wherever it crops up and working with it. 

Mike Smith was the opposite. Yeah, you can point to Worrilow and Bartu, but that was out of necessity due to all the injuries we had at linebacker that year. Under normal circumstances, Smitty wouldn't have given them a chance with the first team in practice, let alone start games.

“I knew Poole was going to be amongst us when in training camp I saw him counting in line, not for who he didn’t want to go against, but because he wanted to go against Julio [Jones],” Quinn said about Poole on his show Monday. “This was a rookie trying to match up in line – I saw him ‘there’s the third guy, I want to go third.’

“That told me right then and there the competitor that he is. As opposed to backing off, he wanted to go challenge it. I’m not saying he went up there and stoned him [Julio Jones]. However, it spoke a lot to the confidence that he had in himself to say ‘I want to try it against the best.’

52 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Yeah I really liked hearing that he counted out the players so he would match up with Jones.  That's the stuff you can't coach or teach a player.  I really like the coaching staff's "C/T" grading.  Much better than the "falcons filter" of Senior choirboys.

Peter Konz man, he really had a good resume. Shows that just because someone is a good kid doesn't make them a good football player.

6 hours ago, direwolf said:

Undrafted rookies are looking for opportunity. If I were in that position, I'd definitely be interested in trying out with the Falcons simply because Quinn and his staff are so open to finding talent wherever it crops up and working with it. 

Mike Smith was the opposite. Yeah, you can point to Worrilow and Bartu, but that was out of necessity due to all the injuries we had at linebacker that year. Under normal circumstances, Smitty wouldn't have given them a chance with the first team in practice, let alone start games.

This is such a false narrative about both smith and Quinn. Worrilow and Bartu making that team were no more out of necessity than Poole was. 

See also Brent Grimes, Ryan Schraeder, Eric Weems, Antone Smith, and many others

Edited by Vandy

15 hours ago, Vandy said:

This is such a false narrative about both smith and Quinn. Worrilow and Bartu making that team were no more out of necessity than Poole was. 

See also Brent Grimes, Ryan Schraeder, Eric Weems, Antone Smith, and many others

There've been articles/interviews talking about how Smith's teams didn't often allow young players to get reps in practice with the first team and how first went against first, second against second, etc. with very little variation in that approach. Quinn has shown that he will do his best to cycle through every player with every tier of the depth chart during camp to see who rises to the challenge which was my primary point. Obviously there will be cases where players come out of nowhere - every team has them. Coach Smith wasn't an idiot; when a player demands through his play to be on the field, any coach would play him. But Smith was well-known to have a marked preference for veterans (something hardly exclusive to him), even to the point of restricting Antone Smith to spot duty despite a high level of effectiveness that most felt was not properly utilized.

Regarding Ryan Schraeder, he was buried on the depth chart in 2013 when Lamar Holmes was the starting right tackle. He didn't get a chance to play until Baker got hurt in 2014 and Matthews moved to left tackle. So, not like Smith gave him a chance to prove himself. He was kept as depth and was forced into starting duty due to injury.

Eric Weems was a deep depth receiver, a good gunner, and an adequate returner for Smith. That's often what you see out of undrafted players at his position and, again, every team has a guy like that. Again, not like Smith was playing him with the first team (though in that case his talent level wouldn't have warranted it).

Really, I'd say Grimes was the only player of that list who got a starting job after proving that he deserved it through his play. 

Meanwhile, Quinn has done a good job of giving lots of players time with the first team to see what they can do and has been very creative (maybe even too creative!) in moving players around to maximize their abilities. We've got reserve offensive guards playing quality snaps at defensive tackle and our starting free safety under Quinn was drafted under Smith as a corner and then cut.

I'm sure I've missed young players that got an opportunity under Smith, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there is a perception that Quinn is more likely to give an unknown kid a chance.

6 hours ago, direwolf said:

There've been articles/interviews talking about how Smith's teams didn't often allow young players to get reps in practice with the first team and how first went against first, second against second, etc. with very little variation in that approach. Quinn has shown that he will do his best to cycle through every player with every tier of the depth chart during camp to see who rises to the challenge which was my primary point. Obviously there will be cases where players come out of nowhere - every team has them. Coach Smith wasn't an idiot; when a player demands through his play to be on the field, any coach would play him. But Smith was well-known to have a marked preference for veterans (something hardly exclusive to him), even to the point of restricting Antone Smith to spot duty despite a high level of effectiveness that most felt was not properly utilized.

Regarding Ryan Schraeder, he was buried on the depth chart in 2013 when Lamar Holmes was the starting right tackle. He didn't get a chance to play until Baker got hurt in 2014 and Matthews moved to left tackle. So, not like Smith gave him a chance to prove himself. He was kept as depth and was forced into starting duty due to injury.

Eric Weems was a deep depth receiver, a good gunner, and an adequate returner for Smith. That's often what you see out of undrafted players at his position and, again, every team has a guy like that. Again, not like Smith was playing him with the first team (though in that case his talent level wouldn't have warranted it).

Really, I'd say Grimes was the only player of that list who got a starting job after proving that he deserved it through his play. 

Meanwhile, Quinn has done a good job of giving lots of players time with the first team to see what they can do and has been very creative (maybe even too creative!) in moving players around to maximize their abilities. We've got reserve offensive guards playing quality snaps at defensive tackle and our starting free safety under Quinn was drafted under Smith as a corner and then cut.

I'm sure I've missed young players that got an opportunity under Smith, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there is a perception that Quinn is more likely to give an unknown kid a chance.

articles/ interviews by who, D-led or Mark Bradley or some hack at ESPN? Come on man,  I never ever pay much mind to what some knucklehead journalist proclaims in some article. Bottom line, Smith's Falcons went 66-46 over 7 years. Pretty successful run, and he by and large with a couple exceptions (aka Freeman) he played plenty of younger players who deserved to be played in giving team best chance of winning.

Also, what most on this board felt is also just as silly to me as what some journalist  thinks as both are usually dead wrong and again, irrelevant to the record. Falcons imploded in 2013-14 for many reasons....some Smitty some not., but bigger reason this was a team devoid of talent overall. Most of those younger guys this board wanted to see more PT under Smitty were shipped out of here by quinnn and either sitting on another team's bench or completely out of NFL.

Again, whatever your mantra/agenda may be about smith with playing undrafted free agents  Antone, Weems, Schroeder Grimes's all made the team and played substantial  roles for Falcons. That's indisputable and remains to be seen how Quinn does if/when he makes it 7 years as a head coach. And for the record, I'm one of Quinn's biggest fans here. But let's keep it real, this board's narrative about smith not playing young players....and especially young undrafted ones...is completely false. Smith played as many undrafted players as any coach in NFL, if for no other reason than he had to.

Edited by Vandy

29 minutes ago, Vandy said:

articles/ interviews by who, D-led or Mark Bradley or some hack at ESPN? Come on man,  I never ever pay much mind to what some knucklehead journalist proclaims in some article. Bottom line, Smith's Falcons went 67-46 over 7 years. Pretty successful run, and he by and large with a couple exceptions (aka Freeman) he played plenty of younger players who deserved to be played in giving team best chance of winning.

Also, what most on this board felt is also just as silly to me as what some journalist  thinks as both are usually dead wrong and again, irrelevant to the record. Falcons imploded in 2013-14 for many reasons....some Smitty some not., but bigger reason this was a team devoid of talent overall. Most of those younger guys this board wanted to see more PT under Smitty were shipped out of here by quinnn and either sitting on another team's bench or completely out of NFL.

Again, whatever your mantra/agenda may be about smith with playing undrafted free agents  Antone, Weems, Schroeder Grimes's all made the team and played substantial  roles for Falcons. That's indisputable and remains to be seen how Quinn does if/when he makes it 7 years as a head coach. And for the record, I'm one of Quinn's biggest fans here. But let's keep it real, this board's narrative about smith not playing young players....and especially young undrafted ones...is completely false. Smith played as many undrafted players as any coach in NFL, if for no other reason than he had to.

My intent wasn't to take a shot at Smith and I haven't got an "agenda" (always love when people throw that word around on a football message board, for cryin' out loud) other than wanting the best for the team - was just saying how it looked to me. I could be wrong. No need to be hostile.

1 hour ago, direwolf said:

My intent wasn't to take a shot at Smith and I haven't got an "agenda" (always love when people throw that word around on a football message board, for cryin' out loud) other than wanting the best for the team - was just saying how it looked to me. I could be wrong. No need to be hostile.

You seriously think that was hostile? 

your stated that "smith was the opposite" and never would give an undrafted  FA player like Poole an opportunity. I said (and I think proved) that is a common false narrative of this board. That's not being hostile my friend, it's just a football discussion on something we disagree on.

happy thanksgiving 

Edited by Vandy