Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Falcons TE Tamme (shoulder) likely out for remainder of season

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons are likely to lose tight end Jacob Tamme to season-ending shoulder surgery, while the outlook for Pro Bowl cornerback Desmond Trufant and running back Tevin Coleman appears optimistic as they recover from their respective injuries.

Tamme is scheduled to get a second opinion Wednesday on the right shoulder he injured Oct. 30 against Green Bay. It's highly likely Tamme will then have surgery Thursday.

"We're bummed for him,'' Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. "It's a significant one. He's been trying like **** to rehab and just not coming through like he wanted.''

Quinn said that is not the case with Trufant, who suffered a shoulder/pectoral injury in a 43-28 win Nov. 3 at Tampa Bay. This week's bye gives Trufant extra time to recover before the Falcons play the Arizona Cardinals on Nov. 27.

"He's definitely dealing with it," Quinn said of Trufant. "We're hopeful that he can practice some next week. And if he can, whether it's Arizona or whoever we play after Arizona, we've got to find out. He's doing good now. He's running and doing everything. So now we just have to see where he's at.''

Quinn insisted that Trufant will return at some point and the injury is not serious enough to be season-ending, even with the pectoral element factored in.

"You totally can [play with the injury],'' Quinn said. "It depends on the severity of what he has and how deep. ... If it was something really significant, then he would have had the procedures done."

"I'm trying to be mindful of him knowing that he's wanting to play. He's going to practice hopefully some the Arizona week. And then we'll determine, 'Does he look good enough to play, or do we wait another week?' And then we'll kind of go from there.''

Meanwhile, Quinn said he expects Coleman to be a full participant in practice after the bye coming off a hamstring strain. Coleman has missed the past three games because of the injury.

Punter Matt Bosher, who exited Sunday's 25-14 loss at Philadelphia with a hamstring strain, could be back for the Falcons' next game. The Falcons have no immediate plans to sign a punter. Kicker Matt Bryant handled the punting after Bosher left the Eagles' game, though wide receiver Mohamed Sanu volunteered to punt.

The loss of Tamme, who caught 22 passes for 2010 yards and three touchdowns through eight games, will mean an increased role for rookie Austin Hooper at tight end with a rotation that also will include Levine Toilolo and rookie Joshua Perkins.

Until Trufant returns, Jalen Collins will run with the starters at cornerback. Quinn said Collins played "solid'' against the Eagles in place of Trufant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coleman coming back will be great boost. I really hope he doesn't have Jerious type career. 

Let Sanu punt!  We can run some fake punts with his ability to throw as well.  lol.  I usually don't like trick plays, it would be fun for us to pull one off at the right time (last game vs. Saints. We are up 42-24 with 1:00 left but we want send a big F U in the Dome's last regular season game).

Edited by ParanoidAndroid
Link to post
Share on other sites

We needed Coleman, he adds another dimension to our O.  I think if he was in and showed up unlike some of the team, we probably get an ugly W.  His speed in the flat is just hard to defend plus his "hit the hole now or bust" running style may have cracked that Philly D a bit (not that we tried or did much running wise).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Wait a minute, Tammy caught 22 passes for 2,010 yards???? He's clearly the G.O.A.T....:ninja:

I was totally in awe when I saw it - and said - let me see how many comments there are before someone brings this one up - Second comment - lol

This would be an even greater loss if true!   Either way - good luck Jacob - get well quick!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamme's absence was huge on a hidden play that had a lot to do the the loss Sunday.  On that wheel route to Freeman, T.E. Perkins was penalized for Pass Interference.  If Tamme had been in, he probably has the experience to "rub" the Linebacker (or safety?) without getting the P.I. call.  It would have been first and 10 at the Eagles 30 with over three minutes to go.  Even if the drive stalls there, you kick a field goal, and are in a position to get a stop and the ball back only needing three points. 

Hooper and Toloilo have the talent to replace Tamme, but they lack the experience to make those kind of plays.  They will have to step up their game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, aDrunkGuy said:

Bro, that was green Bay. Where's he been? 

 

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Sanu has been solid in his designed role. Not sure what you were expecting from a #2 WR in WCO...he's on pace for 60 catch/700 yard season...maybe a little more now with Tamme  out for year. 

I feel you Vandy, but I won't lie...I expected a little more from Sanu this year.  Now, his role and what we need from him has probably been diminished with all of our TEs contributing in a major way in addition to Gabriel and Coleman as a passing option.

Tamme out is a huge blow and I'm hoping that the Eagles game was just a blip on the radar and we see more production from the offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

 

I feel you Vandy, but I won't lie...I expected a little more from Sanu this year.  Now, his role and what we need from him has probably been diminished with all of our TEs contributing in a major way in addition to Gabriel and Coleman as a passing option.

Tamme out is a huge blow and I'm hoping that the Eagles game was just a blip on the radar and we see more production from the offense.

Actually slamee I've been pleasantly surprised by Sanu when given the opportunity he has produced. .I think he would have more production if Matt would quit defaulting to what got us in trouble last year, which was locking in on julio too much and too early.

To your other point, I hear you. We both know getting Coleman back will be huge. 

Edited by Vandy
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, holymoses said:

Tamme's absence was huge on a hidden play that had a lot to do the the loss Sunday.  On that wheel route to Freeman, T.E. Perkins was penalized for Pass Interference.  If Tamme had been in, he probably has the experience to "rub" the Linebacker (or safety?) without getting the P.I. call.  It would have been first and 10 at the Eagles 30 with over three minutes to go.  Even if the drive stalls there, you kick a field goal, and are in a position to get a stop and the ball back only needing three points. 

Hooper and Toloilo have the talent to replace Tamme, but they lack the experience to make those kind of plays.  They will have to step up their game.

You are correct outside of... I doubt we were getting that stop to get the ball back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Sanu has been solid in his designed role. Not sure what you were expecting from a #2 WR in WCO...he's on pace for 60 catch/700 yard season...maybe a little more now with Tamme  out for year. 

To be fair, the guy said "consistent".  Sanu has been good, but I wouldn't say consistent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 15, 2016 at 11:28 AM, aDrunkGuy said:

receiver Mohamed Sanu volunteered to punt.

Might as well, he isn't consistent at all in the receiving rotation 

This season Ryan is spreading the ball around as much as i have ever seen in a qb. Has td passes to like 11 recievers. Sanu being on pace for around 700 with that kind of distribution and julio across from him is pretty good in my eyes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, knomercy said:

To be fair, the guy said "consistent".  Sanu has been good, but I wouldn't say consistent. 

Again, I think that's more Matt's inconsistency than Sanu. Sanu has produced when matt spreads the ball around rather than locking in on JJ.

Edited by Vandy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Again, I think that's more Matt's inconsistency than Sanu. Sanu has produced when matt spreads the ball around rather than locking in on JJ.

This is more opinion than anything and probably based solely on the past.

We would really have to look at all 22 and see the route combo, Matt's progression, and Sanu's separation to say one way or the other.

Based on the Matt I'm seeing THIS YEAR I would have to say it's Sanu. Usually the bye helps to get a longer look at what could be ailing an offense, even when working well. We may get more of an answer to this after the bye.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...