Falconsfan567

2017 World Baseball Classic

240 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I really wish the Braves would sign Angel Pagan.

Good veteran to have if he would take a lesser contract. He's so set on getting a guaranteed MLB deal.

Falconsfan567 likes this

7 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Good veteran to have if he would take a lesser contract. He's so set on getting a guaranteed MLB deal.

At this point the Braves should give it to him. ****, I'd take Ryan Langerhans at this point because at least he could play good defense even if he did strikeout every at-bat.

Bold prediction for 2021 but this run does for international played baseball what the summer of 2011 World cup did for women's soccer in this country (something everyone is willing to get really into once every four years), and ESPN picks up the exclusive rights to the English broadcast again, and a few more big names sign up to help US defend it's title.

(They can put the NIT on Fox sports :ninja: )

Great tournament run for the US! It's nice to finally win one of these! Even without the likes of Trout, Kershaw, Bryant etc. I know Harper said he wants to play in 2021 after he has his long term contract secure. Attendance for this WBC was 1,086,720 thats a new WBC record. It previously had never cracked 1M.

Final WBC standings

1. USA

2. Puerto Rico

3. Japan

4. Netherlands

5. Dominican

6. Israel

7. Cuba

8. Venezuela

9. Italy

10. Australia

11. South Korea

12. Colombia

13. Mexico

14. Chinese Taipei

15. Canada

16. China

Teams 1-12 qualify for the 2021 WBC. Teams 13-16 will join 12 other nations in WBC qualifying in 2020.

9 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

They were kind of annoying but now that they're gone I kinda miss the Japanese horn crew :(

I loved it.

Falconsfan567 likes this

So I'm just making **** up cause it would never in a million years happen for a variety of reasonable and obvious reasons but if I were MLB commissioner (and let's say I've gone mad with unchecked power) I'd shave off ten or so regular season games, then take the top 5 regular season records who miss the playoffs and force them into a champions league style tournament that included the top 3 Nipon league teams, the top AAA champs, and a wild card of the champs of either of two remaining Caribbean/Korea/South American champs to run concurrently in the off hours of the MLB playoffs (with single game elimination to encourage fluke baseball upsets)

Admit it you'd watch the Braves fill a Tuesday afternoon type roster against the Yomiyuri Giants :ninja:

MLBPA president Tony Clark acknowledge players are now believers in the WBC. He said a lot of guys that declined or weren't invited actually expressed disappointment after watching this year's tournament. A lot of guys are wanting to play now apparently. 

The championship game drew 2.3M viewers. That's the 2nd most watched thing in the hisotry of the MLB Network. Only behind the Cubs vs Giants NLDS game last season.