How many here said don't compare Neal to Kam?

droopy1592

His stats are eerily similar to Kam, every other game commentators reference Kam and how similar their play is and if I remember correctly Neal is actually better in coverage. Even their PFF scores are similar  

Before the season started board members were making comparisons and the naysayers (quiet as usual) were saying don't compare this rookie to a great strong safety as they are different players. 

Almost interchangeable if you ask me. 

Neal is gonna be good. I really enjoyed watching him last night. He has been looking good with a few mistakes here and there, but last night he put the NFL on notice. Players will think twice about coming across the middle, it doesn't matter if you're 6'5" or not. 

As much as I love winning, I have always loved BIG HITTERS on defense, and it's been a LONG time since we had a guy like Neal back there.  Best thing is he seems to infect the entire D with that Smash Mouth style of play he has.  They literally destroyed Tampa's offensive personnel last night particularly in the second half.

Now that was tough snot nosed football right there. Betcha Vince Lombardi was grinning in football heaven last night.

I think what most were cautioning against was not comparing the two, but equating them. Perfectly fine to say that Neal is here to fill the Cam ROLE in the defense. Not OK to say Neal is equal to Cam, which is how that often gets interpreted.

It's a subtle distinction that frequently gets overlooked on the board. Love how Neal plays.

Love how he has such a rep for big [legal] hits that the commentators in last nights game thought it was him at the goalline on Winston, not Collins.

Be interesting to see if he gets fined for the hit on Evans. I think the helmet to helmet was incidental and that he actually dipped down to avoid helmet to helmet, but the league may see it different.

18 minutes ago, Califalcon0013 said:

He hit Evans so hard he lost control of the ball on that one handed catch that wasn't really a catch 

Yeah I said it a few times after watching the replay. He bobbles the ball when he hits the ground but I guess DQ just wanted to get the game over and didn't challenge. Should have been an incomplete pass though. 

There will always be comparisons in the NFL to me it's who you are compared to that matters. Keanu is compared to Kam because he is the "Enforcer" of our defense and i'm ok with that for now but I like the nickname "HitMan". Its the same way that Julio Jones is compared to Clavin "Megatron" Johnson just because of size and play style. Its who they are comparing you to that makes the difference. I agree that Keanu is better in coverage but Keanu will be known for having a "Heavy Hand" when Keanu can pull up from hitting someone that shows control and it also show you're not the second thought of the Receiver/Runner you're the first.

People say that Mike Evans had an amazing catch but I don't mind watching that replay.

Edited by FalconsFocus

I'd almost draw more of a comparison to Lynch at this point, since it seems like you can see the #22 near the ballcarrier at the end of almost every play.

I am glad that Kam seems to be embracing the comparison, I thought it was kind of unfair to start comparing Neal to another active player (a great one at that) before he even played his first real snap.  Those kind of expectations can tear rookies down, especially when they make mistakes due to inexperience and the naysayers with an agenda start looking to chop them down.