Unkn0wn

MLB Offseason

623 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Padres are reportedly signing Jered Weaver.

Another guy that just fell off the map very quickly. So weird how guys like him and Lincecum can go from being totally dominant to nothing in such a short period of time.

Mets and Neil Walker talks are reportedly dead. Mets wanted Walker to take a lesser salary in 2017 in exchange for an extension but Walker is refusing. Walker accepted the QO for $17.2M

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mets and Neil Walker talks are reportedly dead. Mets wanted Walker to take a lesser salary in 2017 in exchange for an extension but Walker is refusing. Walker accepted the QO for $17.2M

I don't blame him. If I just had major back surgery and had a guaranteed $17.2M on the table I wouldn't accept less.

20 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Manfred said there will be no rule changes in 2017 due to "lack of cooperation" from the players

Most of the rule change suggestions are stupid. That's why there's a "lack of cooperation" from the players.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Most of the rule change suggestions are stupid. That's why there's a "lack of cooperation" from the players.

It's delaying the inevitable. MLB will have the ability to impose any rules the owners vote in favor of starting in 2018 according to Manfred. He's reportedly looking at a pitch clock, mound visit limit, auto intentional walk and the smaller strikezone.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

MLB announced that veteran umpires John Hirschbeck, Jim Joyce, Tim Welke and Bob Davidson have all retired.

Dang, no more STRIKEEEEEEEEEEEE from Jim Joyce.

Being reported right now that after Manfred's "uncooperative" quote the players have caved. MLB is expected to announce starting in 2017 the intentional walk will just be signaled from the dugout. No need to throw 4 wide ones.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Dang, no more STRIKEEEEEEEEEEEE from Jim Joyce.

Joyce and Welke were good umpires. Davidson and Hirschbeck... well, Joyce and Welke will be missed.

Falconsfan567 likes this

56 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Joyce and Welke were good umpires. Davidson and Hirschbeck... well, Joyce and Welke will be missed.

Yep.

According to Jon Heyman the Dodgers tried for Verlander but nothing got close. The Astros efforts for Miggy Cabrera never got close because they wanted Detroit to pay half his remaining contract. The Mets nearly pulled the trigger on a Conforto for JD Martinez swap but backed out at the last minute.

12 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

What's the deal with Wieters?  Has he signed anywhere?  If not, why?

He's a National. 1 year $10.5M with a player option for 2018 worth $10.5M. Belief was his poor pitch framing and not so stellar bat in 2016 led to the sluggish market

5 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I must have missed that signing.  Thanks Unkn0wn.  I was kinda hoping his bat would land him in ATL.

It just happened today. Braves signed Kurt Suzuki to pair with Flowers. Suzuki is better defensively, cheaper and provides about the same offensively.

Wieters: .242/.302/.409

Suzuki: .258/.301/.403

Suzuki is making $1.5M in 2017, Wieters $10.5M

I must have sensed it lol.

I know we built this roster around pitching, but im all about hitting.  I was thinking Wieters provided more pop

He's lost a little power and never was much of a high average guy. Even in his peak days his highest average was .262 and he didn't even reach .250 in three seasons. He did hit 17 HR last season but being injury prone and not great defensively cost him. Both Flowers and Suzuki had better lines last season.

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I must have sensed it lol.

I know we built this roster around pitching, but im all about hitting.  I was thinking Wieters provided more pop

Probably because Wieters was greatly overhyped coming out of college. I remember Bill James talking about him hitting 500 homeruns.

He was rated the #1 prospect in baseball I believe so he had tons of hype. He's been a serviceable everyday catcher though.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

He was rated the #1 prospect in baseball I believe so he had tons of hype. He's been a serviceable everyday catcher though.

I disagree. Wieters aside from early in his career has been a pretty poor everyday catcher.