Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

Hawks October/November Thread

299 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, WORilla said:

This place is emptier than a KFC with a 73 health rating. 

Eh it's NBA in October it always starts off slow in here.

Third year in a row I've got  a Thursday night game during Hawks opener 

1 hour ago, atl falcon 89 said:

Eh it's NBA in October it always starts off slow in here.

Third year in a row I've got  a Thursday night game during Hawks opener 

I watched that game last night and iot confirmed I cannot stand John Wall.  He is a punk.  

8 hours ago, WORilla said:

They're both averaging 11 points. So much for that offensive prowess...

How long before I can go back and troll the Celtics fans? 

Start it now. Horford is never going to be the star they want him to be. 

On reddit a lot of Celtics fans are complaining about rebounding already lmao (I can't wait until they face the Cavs and Tristan Thompson makes Horford his little *****).  

We played very fast paced at times last night and were a bit out of control.  Other than that, we have added rebounding, and actually have offensive rebounding.  I think we can focus a lot more on the perimeter with Dwight in the paint vs the Cavs.  They killed us with the 3's last season and I think they will have to beat us in another way this season.  I am feeling good about taking a few from the Cavs.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:10 AM, WORilla said:

They're both averaging 11 points. So much for that offensive prowess...

How long before I can go back and troll the Celtics fans? 

How many rebounds did Horford have? Trust me, Howard will dominate that match up when we play them. I can't wait.

Millsap leads Hawks to rout of 76ers, 104-72

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400899476

PHILADELPHIA -- Even with Dwight Howard having an off game, Atlanta won easily.

And coach Mike Budenholzer said that's a good sign for the Hawks.

Paul Millsap scored 17 points to lead five Hawks in double figures and Atlanta toppled the Philadelphia 76ers 104-72 on Saturday.

Kyle Korver added 15 points and Mike Muscala added 14 for Atlanta.

The Hawks barely needed top offseason acquisition Howard. The big man had just two points and seven rebounds in his second game for his hometown team after signing a three-year, $70 million free-agent contract this summer. The 31-year-old center had 19 rebounds and 11 points in Atlanta's season-opening 114-99 win over Washington on Thursday.

"The great thing about adding Dwight to our group and something that Dwight is embracing and cherishing is that we play as a team," Budenholzer said.

"Everybody steps up, everybody contributes. Dwight is going to have great, big nights. A day like today was maybe not his day. Muscala, Paul and Kris (Humphries) were great. It's much more a positive than anything."

Dennis Schroder displayed the playmaking ability the Hawks are counting on with him taking over for Jeff Teague as the team's point guard. After getting two assists in the opener, Schroder had 11 to go with 11 points against Philadelphia.

Joel Embiid and Sergio Rodriguez had 14 points apiece for the 76ers.

The Hawks' reserves (51 points) had nearly as many points (53) as the starters.

"It says a lot," Millsap said. "Our bench is great. Our bench did a great job of coming in and sparking a nice, little run for us. This game, last game, they did a great job of doing that."

Millsap scored four points during Atlanta's 8-2 run to open the fourth quarter, capped by Muscala's 17-foot jumper for an 82-60 lead.

After sitting out for two years because of a foot injury, Embiid dazzled the home crowd with 20 points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes in Wednesday's season-opening loss to Oklahoma City. The third overall pick in the 2014 draft, Embiid had trouble staying on the court in the opening half against Orlando.

Moments after chants of "Trust the process! Trust the process!" serenaded Embiid on the free-throw line, the crowd erupted in the second quarter when Embiid blocked Howard's shot attempt.

Embiid had to go to the bench seconds later after picking up his third foul. The Hawks took advantage, outscoring Philadelphia 17-10 from that point to enter the intermission up 53-39.

Philadelphia could get only within 10 points in the third quarter on Jerami Grant's highlight-reel reverse dunk. But the Hawks scored eight of the final 10 points of the period to enter the fourth quarter ahead 74-58.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

A day after apologizing for prohibiting R&B singer Sevyn Streeter from performing the national anthem at Wednesday's opener because Streeter was wearing a "We Matter" T-shirt, the song went off without any incidents or protests prior to Saturday's game. Mike Moore, a member of the team's "Flight Squad," performed the national anthem with no signs that anything was amiss.

NO CHEESESTEAKS

DeAndre Bembry had two points for Atlanta. The rookie is a product of nearby Saint Joseph's. He received cheers when he entered with just under six minutes left.

Bembry said he had "a bunch of people" in attendance from St. Joe's. One thing he didn't have while back in Philadelphia, though, was a cheesesteak due to the recent removal of a wisdom tooth.

MORE MINUTES

Embiid, on a minutes restriction because of his foot injury, played 15 minutes.

"With the minutes he played, he clearly helped us," Philadelphia coach Brett Brown said. "We're looking forward to him playing more minutes.

Hawks: Millsap, a three-time All-Star, is averaging a team-best 22.5 points per game through two games. ... Atlanta nearly doubled Philadelphia in assists, with 31 to the 76ers' 16.

76ers: Philadelphia, which started 0-18 on the way to a 10-72 mark last season, looks for its first win with its third straight home game to start the season, Tuesday against the Magic. Five of the 76ers' first six games are at home. Philadelphia is playing without three starters because of injury: Jerryd Bayless (wrist), Nerlens Noel (knee) and 2016 No. 1 pick Ben Simmons (foot).

UP NEXT

Hawks: Host Sacramento on Monday night.

76ers: Host Orlando on Tuesday night.

I don't have much of an issue with Teague. He wanted out of Atlanta, and didn't hide it. We all knew what he wanted

Horford sucks though. 

5 hours ago, DirtybyrdGA said:

Teague can't get any lower.

We'll miss the Teague time moments that help close games out but wont miss his terrible final possessions and inconsistent play.

Hawks win 106-95. I really like what I saw defensively in the 4th. This Hawks team has a lot of defensive potential.

And please Howard, work on FT's lol. That's almost a liability late in games. 

Overall though it's been a good start. 3-0!!

I got to watch the Wizards and the Kings games, so far looks like Coach Bud has done a great job of incorporating Howard on to the team. 

Tuesday's Hawks Links: No extension for Tim Hardaway Jr.

11:29 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Howard meets former teams Lakers and Rockets this week: It will be an interesting week for Dwight Howard as he goes up against two of his former teams in the span of four days. On Wednesday, the Hawks host the Lakers, the team Howard played the 2012-13 season after he left the Magic. On Saturday, the Hawks host the Rockets, the team Howard played with for three seasons before coming to Atlanta this summer. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

How the Hawks stayed undefeated with win over Kings: Thirty-seven. Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer wrote just that number on his dry erase board before the start of the fourth quarter. It represented the unacceptable points allowed to the Kings in the third quarter. “I don’t think any of us felt great after a 37-point third quarter,” Budenholzer said. “So we talked about what we had just done and we had to change that. If we could change that, it would give us a chance. That was the talking point, the 37 (points) in the third quarter.” -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks stay unbeaten with foul-plagued win over Kings: Paul Millsapand Dwight Howard each had double-doubles to keep the Hawks unbeaten with a 106-95 foul-plagued victory over the Kings Monday night at Philips Arena. The Hawks needed a fourth-quarter run to clinch a game they led by double-digits on several occasions before losing the advantage in the third quarter. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

No rookie contract extension for Hardaway Jr.: The Hawks and Tim Hardaway Jr. did not reach an agreement on a rookie contract extension before the Monday deadline. The two sides had several conversations, including during the day on Monday. They had until 11:59 p.m. to reach an agreement. Hardaway will become a restricted free agent following the season. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

6 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Contract season for THJ. Let's see how he does. I need more from Baze. He should be producing more for what he's making.

No doubt but you know when some guys get paid they get comfortable but he definitely has to live up to that contract.

JerseyNo12 likes this

Wednesday's Hawks News: Dennis Schroder playing well to start season

4:09 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Hawks needed a spark, Schroder brings a blowtorch: The Hawks are 3-0, and if nobody is stocking up on confetti yet it’s because they still have 79 games left and they’ve played the Wizards, Sixers and Kings. Actually, 13 of their first 19 games come against teams that didn’t make the playoffs last season — so feast, young men, and we’ll check back sometime after all the leaves fall. But it’s worth noting, even at this early juncture, that Dennis Schroder isn’t popping any springs yet. The Hawks’ new starting point guard, who’s enormously talented but also occasionally resembles a pingpong ball in a wind tunnel, has played under control for the most part, and he hasn’t completely driven teammates crazy. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Change to shooting motion has paid off for Muscala: After a summer dedicated to changing his jump shot, Mike Muscala summed up the final results in the simplest of ways. “It just feels better,” he said. The Hawks’ forward/center spent hours in the gym changing the release of his already steady shot. It has paid dividends early this season. Muscala has averaged 11.0 points through three games. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks, City announce renovations to Philips Arena: The Hawks and the City of Atlanta announced Monday that they have reach an agreement on terms for renovations of Philips Arena. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported earlier this year that the sides were working on an agreement and it came to fruition. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

8 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Contract season for THJ. Let's see how he does. I need more from Baze. He should be producing more for what he's making.

So far, wow.