Falcons' Jalen Collins: I owe my teammates one

Falcons' Jalen Collins: I owe my teammates one

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The pressure Atlanta Falcons cornerback Jalen Collins feels going into his 2016 debut Sunday has nothing to do with being last year's second-round draft pick.

It has everything to do with Collins wanting to make amends for the misstep that led to him being away from the team to begin the season. The second-year player from LSU was suspended for the first four games after violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances. Collins was then inactive the past two weeks as the coaches elected to stick with the same group of special-teamers. He'll play Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, with reserve cornerback/special-teamer C.J. Goodwin ruled out as a result of a hamstring injury.

"The only pressure for me is for me to go out there and perform for my team," Collins said. "I owe it to them guys. I made a mistake, and I just have to go out there and get back to it."

Collins never disclosed what substance led to the suspension. He trained at a local gym before being reinstated.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn commended Collins for taking ownership of the mistake and expressing an obligation to his teammates.

"I love that he has that mindset," Quinn said. "Like he's so committed to his brothers on the team. ... 'Man, I want to show I want to help.' The first way he's helped is over the last few weeks of going for it in practice, standing up battling for it. I knew he was ready. He looked fit coming in.

"Sometimes when you're guy that's got something to prove, that could be a dangerous person."

Collins, who struggled as a rookie last season while starting two games, will fill a role outside as a gunner on special teams Sunday. He seems unlikely to get much time on defense unless starting cornerback Robert Alford continues to have issues with penalties. Collins has yet to display the type of consistency and ball skills that made him a higher draft pick and even, in some eyes, a first-round talent.

"He’ll stay mostly outside, but the times that we match that’s when you see the other guys go inside," Quinn said of Collins' role on defense. "You’ve seen Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford inside, so on times that we’ve matched some people you would see Jalen inside, but we’d like to keep him outside."

Collins didn't sound too consumed about what role he'll play.

"Those guys [Trufant, Alford and nickel back Brian Poole] have been doing a great job," Collins said. "As far as me, I'm just grateful to be back. Whatever they need me to do, I'm going to do it. I've just got to come back ready."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, theProf said:

Collins didn't sound too consumed about what role he'll play.

"Those guys [Trufant, Alford and nickel back Brian Poole] have been doing a great job," Collins said. "As far as me, I'm just grateful to be back. Whatever they need me to do, I'm going to do it. I've just got to come back ready."

that's a recipe for success right there, knowing he's not needed and no pressure to press once he gets a shot

First off, I'd like to pat myself on the back for when I told everyone there's no way dude is coming back and taking snaps from Poole. Sent one poster into hiding after he welched on a bet.

That being said, I do think this is Rocky's last year, so if Collins doesn't show he has atleast taken the steps to be more physical and that he has better ball instincts, then I think we'll be shopping for a CB #2 in the offseason.

29 minutes ago, stizz said:

First off, I'd like to pat myself on the back for when I told everyone there's no way dude is coming back and taking snaps from Poole. Sent one poster into hiding after he welched on a bet.

That being said, I do think this is Rocky's last year, so if Collins doesn't show he has atleast taken the steps to be more physical and that he has better ball instincts, then I think we'll be shopping for a CB #2 in the offseason.

I wasn't one that thought he'd take snaps from Poole because like I said he plays outside. He doesn't play slot. If anything he may come in for alf. Especially if alf gets a pi that gives up a score as a result. If we go up two or more scores he'll get some PT outside for sure. At some point he's gotta step up because if alf keeps getting these killer PI's he's writing his last days as a falcon in the wall. Unless he moves to FS. That's a good move I'm keeping him. He's a ballhawk with great range. Just on the light side. 

32 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Time to prove yourself. You might owe your teammates one but you owe yourself more. Learn from it and move on. 

I'm hoping he pans out to be the player we drafted him to be. Alford isn't very good and it will be nice if Collins replaces him nicely. One less thing to worry about in the off-season.

1 hour ago, The Vent King said:

and here we all mocked the Falcon's filter lol it all leads to this type of mentality when you hv a group of guys buying into it...GO FALCONS (brotherhood)

I'm pretty sure he's just happy that he's miraculously still on an NFL roster. 

28 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Nope, but only because I'm superstitious. Even when I was gambling I never bet on or against us (except once, lost) so, the same rule goes for our players, not on or against. 

Lol I was just ******* around. This would be the one week he didn't get a penalty if I bet on it

19 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He's got it out for himself. He's his own problem, not the refs

I disagree. So many ticky tack calls on him. I've seen guys like revis and sherman employ every sunday on a regular basis. He doesnt get away with it. Not saying the refs are being unfair, but he has so many legit ones over the past few years, they dont even bother to give him the benefit of a doubt anymore. They see hands, regardless of where they're at and out comes the yellow. Then ya go bac and watch the replays...and you're like wtf was that zebra looking at? Did he mean to call it on the WR?

Frankly it doesnt matter to me. I saw nothing from Collins and Rocky may be an afterthought next season...I see a first round CB in our future via next seasons draft.

Edited by FenixFalcon
31 minutes ago, FenixFalcon said:

I disagree. So many ticky tack calls on him. I've seen guys like revis and sherman employ every sunday on a regular basis. He doesnt get away with it. Not saying the refs are being unfair, but he has so many legit ones over the past few years, they dont even bother to give him the benefit of a doubt anymore. They see hands, regardless of where they're at and out comes the yellow. Then ya go bac and watch the replays...and you're like wtf was that zebra looking at? Did he mean to call it on the WR?

Frankly it doesnt matter to me. I saw nothing from Collins and Rocky may be an afterthought next season...I see a first round CB in our future via next seasons draft.

Every call that gets called on him is because of no one but him. Plain and simple. He brought that rep on himself

4 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I wasn't one that thought he'd take snaps from Poole because like I said he plays outside. He doesn't play slot. If anything he may come in for alf. Especially if alf gets a pi that gives up a score as a result. If we go up two or more scores he'll get some PT outside for sure. At some point he's gotta step up because if alf keeps getting these killer PI's he's writing his last days as a falcon in the wall. Unless he moves to FS. That's a good move I'm keeping him. He's a ballhawk with great range. Just on the light side. 

I wasn't talking about you bro. You and I disagreed, but you never threw a bet at me.

Edited by stizz