Mudduck: MACK HAS BEEN 'UNBELIEVABLE' FOR FALCONS

MACK4ttACK

may want to give a click but its posted below too

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/McClure-Mack-Has-Been-Unbelievable-for-Falcons/6fe85813-0836-4478-9e3d-e89a25b1db41

Andrew Hirsh: Thanks for taking the time to chat. Now that we’re five games into the season, what are your overall thoughts on the Falcons’ offense?
Todd McClure: It’s just unbelievable, the weapons they have on offense and the way Matt is able to spread the ball around. It’s hard for a defense to decide who they’re going to try to stop, and when they try to stop Julio, he’s able to get it to Tamme and Sanu and the rest of those guys. And the running back combination — I mean, it’s just unreal. It’s kind of a pick-your-poison offense. Pick the guy you want to stop, and the rest of the guys are going to go make plays. It’s fun to watch. Really fun to watch.
AH: The Falcons enjoyed a lot of offensive success during your career. It’s still early, but where do you think this group ranks among the offenses you’ve seen in Atlanta?
TM: It’s got to be up there. Like you said, it’s early in the season, but, I mean, you look at where they’re ranked in first in the league. I can’t ever remember being first in that many categories. In 2004 we led the league in rushing, but they’re at the top of the league in a bunch of categories. And I hope that trend continues.

AH: You know as well as anyone how important the center position is in the NFL. How have you felt Alex Mack has played so far?
TM: He’s been unbelievable. Alex was a guy that I watched while I was playing. I would turn on game film if we were playing a common opponent, I’d see how he played against those guys. I love his energy. You hear guys talk about his focus and his leadership. I’m a little biased and think a lot of things start at that center position, and Alex is an unbelievable player. As you can tell, the offense is reaping the benefits.uaV0DEe.gif

AH: Why do you think Mack is such a good fit in the outside zone blocking scheme?
TM: Compared to a lot of centers, he’s an athletic, slender-built guy that can move. He knows his angles and is really good with his hands. And to run that zone scheme, you have to have a guy who can climb to that second level and get his hands on a linebacker. You watch Alex play, and he does that a lot. He’s able to get to that second level, and it creates those big runs.

AH: How do you think his presence in the middle affects the guards and tackles around him?
TM: It affects them a bunch. The center — I know it’s a cliche — but he’s the quarterback of the offensive line. When you’re confident in your center who you trust, when you’ve got one voice, and he comes up and he sets the protection calls and makes the calls at the line of scrimmage, everything just moves so much more fluid. Alex does a great job of that.

AH: As someone who played with Ryan for many years, how much do you think it helps him to have that steady presence at center?
TM: It helps him a bunch. The center can take a lot off the quarterback’s plate. I used to help Matt with watching the play clock, letting him know when it’s getting close. Because he has a lot going through his mind: Getting the play in through the earpiece, trying to call the play, making sure he has the right personnel in the huddle. And the little things — every little thing you can take off his plate, it makes it easier for him to go out and execute and get the ball in his playmakers’ hands. When he can trust that his center is going to put him in the right protection, get the right calls, then he doesn’t have to micromanage or worry. He can just do what he’s paid to do. And it’s obviously working well for him this year.

AH: What do you think is the most important quality Mack has brought to the Falcons?
TM: Just his leadership. I don’t know this for a fact, but you can tell — this is my observation — he’s a guy that studies a lot of film and knows his assignments and plays with a lot of confidence. When he goes out there and does that, it kind of spreads throughout the rest of the offensive line. They may see the way he studies film, the way he prepares, and sometimes when you do that as a leader of a group, the rest of the group will follow. And I’d imagine Alex is the same way.

Edited by MACK_AttACK

I approve of this message. Man I was so pumped when we signed him. I was like FINALLY Matt might have a real Oline this year. Matt has been lights out and alot of that success goes squarely on the Oline and more than any- ALEX MACK. So glad he is a falcon and hope we can keep this line together for 5 years, with a minor tweak here and there along the way as need be. 

36 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Score one for Shanny and TD.

Haters taking a beating.

what a maroon, I didn't see ANYONE hating the mack signing.

and I still hate shanahan, and it's working so far, so I ain't jinxing it by switching my opinion until the end of the season, if it still merits being switched by then  

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

what a maroon, I didn't see ANYONE hating the mack signing.

and I still hate shanahan, and it's working so far, so I ain't jinxing it by switching my opinion until the end of the season, if it still merits being switched by then  

You guys hated everything Shanny did. Always hating when we brought in one of 'his guys' like Aldrick Robinson. Nothing but hate all around and you were on the train. A few others and myself gave sound reasons as to why the hate was unwarranted, but you had your fingers in your ears.

And I'm the 'maroon' rofl

yes you're absolutely a maroon, most of your posts come to my screen as just saying 'derp derp derp derp' ....

go find ONE post where I hated the Aldrick Robinson signing, just one. I won't wait because you won't find one. My big personnel complaint was cutting hawley and putting person at center, it was and has been. I seriously questioned the Gabriel signing, when it looked like we had basically the same player in McKissic, I've since admitted to jumping the gun on that one too. But you didn't see that I guess, maybe because you're arm hid your eyes while you were trying to pat yourself on the back for being right, even though there was a good chance you weren't ;)

and you're also wrong about me hating EVERYTHING....I even said last year, after the first few games, ESPECIALLY the Dallas game, I ate crow about my shanny hate. Then the bottom fell out. So this year has and will be until the end, wait and see. So far so good and I'm enjoying it just as much as everyone else. Yeah yeah, derp derp, 'this roster is better derp derp'  

I've also said that myself in several threads, heck even the ultimate optimistic Gazoo noticed and commented on one of my comments about the 'weapons' we have. So once again, you're wrong. You'll just have to accept it sooner or later that you can't always be right

I really felt confident about this season when I knew we signed Mack.. I honestly 100% believe the reason we dropped from 5-0 to 8-8 was solely on the center position. The botched snaps in the redzone, making Matt play with no trust on his C is what lost us a lot of those close games. If this D can continue gelling, we have a serious contender on our hands. I see no less than 10 wins this year, no collapse will happen again unless Mack or Ryan gets hurt.

19 minutes ago, The Vent King said:

I will never underestimate the importance of a good center ever again.

There really is no GLARING hole on the team now that C position is solved.

Sure we need a RG, dominant pas rusher, and possibly a FS, but the guys currently in those positions have played decently.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You guys hated everything Shanny did. Always hating when we brought in one of 'his guys' like Aldrick Robinson. Nothing but hate all around and you were on the train. A few others and myself gave sound reasons as to why the hate was unwarranted, but you had your fingers in your ears.

And I'm the 'maroon' rofl

I was on that crew not because of bringing in his guys, but because the big 3 never spoke out on a coach the way they did KS. Julio, Roddy, and Matt all voiced some type of concerns at some point last season. That and I can remember a few games where we didn't even attempt a pass 15 yards downfield. I now see that was due to receivers inability to get open.

KS has proven a lot of people wrong, but there's still alot of season left.