Coach Carroll's Statement Says It All

I've been becoming more and more used to seeing this team prepared, ready to play each game that passes since DQ took over. Sure, there have been a few bumps in the road, but that was to be expected. I couldn't really pinpoint what it was that has given me faith in this team to perform again. The offense is finally clicking, yes, but that wasn't it. The defense has been playing exceptionally over the past few games (when it mattered outside of garbage time), but that isn't it either. After reading the comments from Coach Carroll about DQ, it hit me.

"I don’t know about pride, but it’s exciting to see," Carroll told the Seattle media. "He’s having fun. He’s working hard. He has a team with an attitude and a personality". 

That's it! Even when they were winning games when Smith was here, there was never a sense of identity for this team. It often felt like Jekyll and Hyde, week to week. Under DQ, this team has been slowly been shaping into something that I haven't seen since '98 here, and I tell you what Falcons fans, you should be excited. They seemed to be uptight, and scared of making mistakes under MS. Everything had to be perfect, or they seemed to fall apart. Now, they play loose, they play aggressive, and if they make a mistake, then they overcome it. It becomes and afterthought.

The Falcons are gaining an identity. DQ's mantra of "Brotherhood" is taking hold. The offense is once again becoming a strength. They aren't scared of SB champs or no fly zones. They aren't worried if you have shutdown corners, or an attacking D-Line. They are coming out and attacking, setting their own tone on the game. Take away the WR's...ok. They'll attack you with the RB's or TE's. Take away the passing game, they'll spread you out and attack you on the ground. Take away the run, they'll rack up sky miles. Get the wrong personnel on the field, they'll run the hurry up and exploit your weakness.

The defense, well, don't look now, but they are starting to gel. They have some things to shore up, like letting off of the gas too soon and continuing to develop the pass rush and inopportune penalties, but they are getting close. They are playing with fire, and with a purpose. They will make you pay if you get cocky, and they will make you earn every yard that you get. Heck, our LB's were depleted to the point that they played a SS at LB. They didn't miss a beat. If they are playing like this missing all of their starters at LB, then imagine how they'll look when they return. The D-line is starting to generate pressure, and starting to get those elusive sacks that they've seemed to avoid getting over the last half decade. Next man up finally means just that. They are playing with attitude, and personality. They are playing as one. 

These Atlanta Falcons are gaining an identity, and it is one of a contender. They may not win every game, no team does, but I'm certain that they won't go down quietly. These Falcons are for real. Whatever changed from week one to week two can be speculated to death, but whatever it was needed to happen. This team, along with the coaching staff are all on the same page. How does their story end? Who knows? I'll tell you this, though, it's going to be a fun ride.

These aren't the "same old Falcons" that we've seen time and again. The Brotherhood is coming together, and when it does...watch out NFL. The ceiling is high, and these Falcons are starting to finally Rise Up (shameless pun). Personally, I couldn't ask for more than what they have shown so far. I am proud of where they are, and overcome with enthusiasm at where they can go. They are hungry, they are aggressive, and they aren't scared. They are attacking on both sides of the ball, and getting better every week. Get ready to see this regularly. I am! Go Falcons!

It's funny to me when I mention that since Quinn, this team has just seemed different and my friends who follow other teams just roll their eyes... And Vicious is right, while it really started this pre-season with the Falcons logo article in the AJC I believe, it really clicked somewhere between week 1 and week 2...

The calm they have, the quiet swagger they display on the field, the never quit or get down on yourself attitude is awesome...

We have bonafide super stars on this team... And not a single one of them cares anything about their individual legacy, because they realize the real legacy for themselves is found within the team and the team winning it all... Look at how often the Washington Redskins "Hogs" O Line is referenced in todays sports talk, not a single one of them can be named by the common fan though...

Edited by Leggggggo

I think it's just the product of smart moves that were executed.

1) DQ's coaching style

2) Drafting players that fit his schemes (Fast & Physical)

3) Double dipping RBs in the draft that fit the offense.

4) Finally making a commitment to protecting Ryan.

I (like everyone) have a love/hate relationship with TD. Some moves were brilliant and other times he completely screwed up an entire draft. But, maybe it took trial and error to figure out how to make better personal decisions. We limited his power, brought in more GM personal experience, and gave the HQ final decision on the 53 man roster. I think this microscopic "veto"  approach forced everyone to all get on the same page with every decision. Coaches could no longer point the finger back at the GM and the GM could no longer say "you don't know how to coach a guy up that I drafted for you". Seems like just within the last two drafts we are hitting on our draft picks in greater numbers.      

It's very true that under Smitty we were not tough or physical and it was known around the league. Under DQ we started to see that change last year and this year even more so. With another draft and the more he brings in his types of players this is going to be a kicka$$ team that other teams will not look forward to playing. Especially in the new dome/stadium!

Dan Quinn said that he wanted them playing loose, fast, and aggressive. I'd say that he is getting his wish. Now, they just need to be consistent with it throughout the rest of the season. The level of competition is certainly stronger this first quarter plus of this year over last year.

The difference is that the Falcons are dictating the direction of the game versus reacting to it. They've come into every game since Oakland with a plan, and have executed it nicely. It's nice to see team specific game plans, and execution. It's a beautiful sight.

We've been used to seeing the same offense ran the same way each week. That was usually figured out by mid-year, and all of the games became who wanted it more. Luck was on their side in 2012. That glaring weakness exposed them in '13 and '14, though, and once again during the second half of last year. 

This year, though, they have evolved. Whatever went on between Shanahan and this offense from week one to week two on has been transcendent. Not only are they no longer predictable, they have been figuring out and exposing the weaknesses of their opponents. We've done that in the past some, but never at this level.

I am not in the know, but that won't stop me from speculating (which is what these boards are for, right?). This offense seems to be the love child of Matt Ryan and Kyle Shanahan. KS has a brilliant mind, but he gets in his own way sometimes. I feel like they put their differences aside, and helped evolve this offense into what it is now. It appears as though these plays have both of their styles combined, aand the results have been phenomenal.

I could be way off, but since game two, they have been running more hurry up, airing it out downfield, and spreading it out to everybody outside of the o-line. 8 players received a catch in the first one, too, but it didn't quite feel like it has since then. Whatever the tweak was, it made a world of difference. 

Don't let me discount the value of how solid the line has played. I think it has certainly played a part in the evolution, but Matt has been in the zone. He is playing out of his mind, and the game plans have been on point. The offense is playing as if they are all parts of a single mind. They are all in sync, and attacking defenses until they break them.

Watch the game again. There is a point in the game that Denver's defense looks defeated, long before the game was over. They were used to dictating how games went, and what the opposing offenses were going to do. KS, MR, and the rest of the offense changed that for them, and they broke. They never gave up, but their spirit broke. They didn't know what the heck just hit them. From the looks of it, they won't be the last defense that happens to.

I tried to hold back on these feelings, because you know...same old Falcons, but they aren't. We are seeing them graduate to another level right in front of our eyes. I am not so sure that they are as good now as they are going to get either. Excited doesn't do my level of enthusiasm any justice. 

30 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Recently I heard Quinn say that his biggest job coming in was to change and build the culture and establish the identity of the team. 

You can see the vision that he had starting to manifest on the field now.

Yep. Many of us were questioning whether he really was the right guy after last season, just like Shanahan. Just needed to give it time to gel. I can really see his personality rubbing off on this team. 

Edited by fuego
44 minutes ago, Vicious said:

Dan Quinn said that he wanted them playing loose, fast, and aggressive. I'd say that he is getting his wish. Now, they just need to be consistent with it throughout the rest of the season. The level of competition is certainly stronger this first quarter plus of this year over last year.

The difference is that the Falcons are dictating the direction of the game versus reacting to it. They've come into every game since Oakland with a plan, and have executed it nicely. It's nice to see team specific game plans, and execution. It's a beautiful sight.

We've been used to seeing the same offense ran the same way each week. That was usually figured out by mid-year, and all of the games became who wanted it more. Luck was on their side in 2012. That glaring weakness exposed them in '13 and '14, though, and once again during the second half of last year. 

This year, though, they have evolved. Whatever went on between Shanahan and this offense from week one to week two on has been transcendent. Not only are they no longer predictable, they have been figuring out and exposing the weaknesses of their opponents. We've done that in the past some, but never at this level.

I am not in the know, but that won't stop me from speculating (which is what these boards are for, right?). This offense seems to be the love child of Matt Ryan and Kyle Shanahan. KS has a brilliant mind, but he gets in his own way sometimes. I feel like they put their differences aside, and helped evolve this offense into what it is now. It appears as though these plays have both of their styles combined, aand the results have been phenomenal.

I could be way off, but since game two, they have been running more hurry up, airing it out downfield, and spreading it out to everybody outside of the o-line. 8 players received a catch in the first one, too, but it didn't quite feel like it has since then. Whatever the tweak was, it made a world of difference. 

Don't let me discount the value of how solid the line has played. I think it has certainly played a part in the evolution, but Matt has been in the zone. He is playing out of his mind, and the game plans have been on point. The offense is playing as if they are all parts of a single mind. They are all in sync, and attacking defenses until they break them.

Watch the game again. There is a point in the game that Denver's defense looks defeated, long before the game was over. They were used to dictating how games went, and what the opposing offenses were going to do. KS, MR, and the rest of the offense changed that for them, and they broke. They never gave up, but their spirit broke. They didn't know what the heck just hit them. From the looks of it, they won't be the last defense that happens to.

I tried to hold back on these feelings, because you know...same old Falcons, but they aren't. We are seeing them graduate to another level right in front of our eyes. I am not so sure that they are as good now as they are going to get either. Excited doesn't do my level of enthusiasm any justice. 

I don't think there was a tweak between week 1 and week 2.  I think that you can prepare as best you can for your opponent week 1 but since there isn't any real tape on them, you have to guess.  Also mentioning how many times we shot ourselves in the foot on defense when we had an opportunity to give the ball back to our offense that did score quite a few points. 

10 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

I don't think there was a tweak between week 1 and week 2.  I think that you can prepare as best you can for your opponent week 1 but since there isn't any real tape on them, you have to guess.  Also mentioning how many times we shot ourselves in the foot on defense when we had an opportunity to give the ball back to our offense that did score quite a few points. 

True, but I personally didn't see the same fire and conviction that the offense has played with since then in that game. The offense looked akin to last year's, and the defense looked like it had regressed. Since then, the offense has dictated the flow of games, and the defense has stepped it up big time outside of garbage time. Don't get me wrong, the offense flashed in the first game in the second half. It just wasn't on the level it's been on since then. At least, that's what I have seen so far. I could be just imagining things!

56 minutes ago, Statick said:

That's all I wanted was a competitive team: one that didn't look lost and one who didn't give two sh*ts about who they were playing.

I see that in this team.

Yeah, that is the same with me. Win or lose I wanted a team other teams circled on the calendar. Not the easy win circles the one they want to get past in one piece/alive circle. 

P.S. I do like winning as well and would not be upset if the Falcons keep it up till the end of the season.

Just now, high impact said:

Yeah, that is the same with me. Win or lose I wanted a team other teams circled on the calendar. Not the easy win circles the one they want to get past in one piece/alive circle. 

P.S. I do like winning as well and would not be upset if the Falcons keep it up till the end of the season.

Of course, I like the winning as well.

That's always the fun part.

3 hours ago, nomak said:

I must give DQ props and eat my crow at the same time...I was very hard on him and he has proven me wrong. 

Same here. Aside from a few in-game missteps last year which I was pretty hard on him for, he's really pulled this team together and has them playing competitive ball against every team we face, no matter how good they are. Just like this offense and defense, Quinn is rapidly getting this HC stuff figured out. He too is only going to get better the rest of this season and beyond.