Falcons' Tevin Coleman brushes off sickle cell concerns to soar in Denver

Vaughn McClure

DENVER -- Atlanta Falcons running back Tevin Coleman didn't go into Sunday's game thinking about worst-case scenarios.

His concerns over how being a carrier of the sickle cell trait could have a negative effect in Denver's altitude were well-documented, although such a disorder is more of an issue in extreme heat.

Coleman didn't have any health issues in Sunday's 23-16 win over the Denver Broncos. In fact, he racked up 163 yards on 10 touches. He hauled in his first career touchdown reception on a 31-yard pass from Matt Ryan in the third quarter, a play that gave the Falcons breathing room at 20-3.

"I put it out of my mind," Coleman said of the health concerns. "I wasn't even thinking about it because I knew everybody had my back. The trainers, they had my back. Every time I came to the sideline, there was something to drink. There was oxygen. They prepared me to go out there and play."

Coleman led the Falcons with a career-high 132 receiving yards on four catches (six targets). He looked like a seasoned receiver when he lined up in the slot and beat linebacker Brandon Marshall down the field for the touchdown.

"I mean, yeah, right now I'm going out there and making big-time catches and running routes," said Coleman, who was not known for his hands last season. "It's kind of half and half now: half running back/half receiver."

A hybrid, right?

"You could say that," Coleman said with a laugh.

Definitely showed up big for us. 

I know it's not likely, but man would I love to see us keep Freeman and Coleman together for a good, long time. The two of them together give the offense so much versatility since we don't have to change the playcalling based on who's in at RB and those sets where we have both in the backfield together have to give linebackers nightmares.

There are so many things you can do with a RB who can actually run, but also go in motion out wide and be highly effective there. It is a matchup nightmare for some LB to go out with him and if they switch to  DB coverage then you've got a matchup problem some where else. We can now dictate matchups that we want or force opposing teams to go zone that we can overload.

Dictating to the D how they are going to play and then having literally 8+ viable options on the roster is what has turned around this offense. As long as the O-line can hold, it's going to be tough for anyone we play.

5 hours ago, direwolf said:

I know it's not likely, but man would I love to see us keep Freeman and Coleman together for a good, long time. The two of them together give the offense so much versatility since we don't have to change the playcalling based on who's in at RB and those sets where we have both in the backfield together have to give linebackers nightmares.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons with a wishbone look with DiMarco, Coleman and Freeman in the backfield. Line up that way, actually run out of the set a time or two, then set up in the wishbone, force the D to play the run, then split one of them out wide.

Falcons actually have the versatily to go from a five wide look to a tight formation 2 RB set with the same players-and be effective at both.

6 hours ago, theProf said:

Vaughn McClure

DENVER -- Atlanta Falcons running back Tevin Coleman didn't go into Sunday's game thinking about worst-case scenarios.

His concerns over how being a carrier of the sickle cell trait could have a negative effect in Denver's altitude were well-documented, although such a disorder is more of an issue in extreme heat.

Coleman didn't have any health issues in Sunday's 23-16 win over the Denver Broncos. In fact, he racked up 163 yards on 10 touches. He hauled in his first career touchdown reception on a 31-yard pass from Matt Ryan in the third quarter, a play that gave the Falcons breathing room at 20-3.

"I put it out of my mind," Coleman said of the health concerns. "I wasn't even thinking about it because I knew everybody had my back. The trainers, they had my back. Every time I came to the sideline, there was something to drink. There was oxygen. They prepared me to go out there and play."

Coleman led the Falcons with a career-high 132 receiving yards on four catches (six targets). He looked like a seasoned receiver when he lined up in the slot and beat linebacker Brandon Marshall down the field for the touchdown.

"I mean, yeah, right now I'm going out there and making big-time catches and running routes," said Coleman, who was not known for his hands last season. "It's kind of half and half now: half running back/half receiver."

A hybrid, right?

"You could say that," Coleman said with a laugh.

Great game. Great story.  But DQ explained the sickle cell 'risk' a little yesterday.  Tevin has the sickle cell 'trait'.  It is genetically possible for him to develop sickle cell anemia.  He does not have sickle cell anemia. Dom Foxworthy played in Denver for years with the 'trait' before he came to Atlanta.  The player who lost his spleen and gall bladder playing in Denver was actually anemic. The sickle cell trait is present in about 11% of black men (?).  The next time the Cowboys go to Mexico City they needn't worry about the altitude.  You can test for iron levels in about five minutes.  

I'm sure Denver and the League understand the difference and wonder why, considering the worry over player health these days, the League allowed the the controversy over Teco's participation to go uncommented on until DQ's post game remarks.  If DQ knew from the jump there was no risk it was gamesmanship for the team to pretend he might not play.  Denver certainly knew but said nothing because they hoped we would bench him.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons with a wishbone look with DiMarco, Coleman and Freeman in the backfield. Line up that way, actually run out of the set a time or two, then set up in the wishbone, force the D to play the run, then split one of them out wide.

Falcons actually have the versatily to go from a five wide look to a tight formation 2 RB set with the same players-and be effective at both.

I would LOVE to see us line up that way. Line up in a wishbone or diamond, motion all over the place, make some linebacker crap his pants, and do whatever.

59 minutes ago, athell said:

They did a great job!  Every time he came off the field someone was there to check him out and give him attention.  Hats off to the training staff.

yep, every time I saw him leave the field he was drinking something or was getting oxygen. saw him riding a bike once, plus saw Julio on the bike too after that shot in his back. our staff was on top of things all day yesterday.

7 hours ago, direwolf said:

A tandem like this especially when you include the receiving capability doesn't come along every day. Ryan said they run routes like wide receivers. It's a rare thing for sure. 

16 minutes ago, theProf said:

Running back Devonta Freeman played 40 of 67 offensive snaps vs. Broncos, while backup Tevin Coleman played 26 snaps. The two combined for 286 total yards and two touchdowns on 36 touches. They now have exactly 1,000 combined yards on 155 touches.

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer

But but but coleman is stealing Freeman's touches n touchdowns ;)

19 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

On a serious note, they keep this up we could see 2 atl rbs selected to the pro bowl.. To bad we'll be playing in the sb! :)

man we could have a Pro Bowl QB, WR, RB, RB2, FB, LG, C, CB, DE, SS/LB or whatever the h=ll Ish plays this week lol and if Weems keeps it up with the returns and tackles, ST

5 hours ago, theProf said:

A hybrid, right?

Yesterday's game revealed another hybrid player for the Falcons: SS/LB Kemal Ishmael.

•  

Falcons safety Kemal Ishmael, who started and called the signals in a linebacker role, played 59 of 70 defensive snaps in the Falcons 23-16 win over the Broncos. Ishmael led team with 10 tackles and also had a pass defensed. Coach Dan Quinn always talks position versatility. Offensive lineman Ben Garland played two snaps at defensive tackle and put pressure on the quarterback.

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer