Shannahan's Gameplans Have Been Amazing

oxygencube

6 hours ago, FalconJim said:

I'm not ready to crown the guy, yet ---- but, as a Shanahan detractor, I have to say he's drawed up some pretty good game plans, as of late.  Of course, he can throw the one for Tampa Bay in the garbage, and draw up a new one for the next time we play them.  

With that said, he's got a few Ferraris in the garage here in the ATL, that he's never had before!  Is that making him look better than he really is?  Not sure, but we'll know pretty soon. 

Anyway, keep up the good work, Shanny, and I'll let you know what I think at the half-way mark... 

Shanahan is pretty far from the reason we lost to the Bucs.  This is 90% of the problem with Shanny detractors.  "We lost, ergo, Shanahan is stupid" is just a ridiculous non sequitur.  

Also -- good players make OCs look better?  The h**l you say!

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

If KS can keep it up for a full year I'll be ok with him but what tends to happens with KS offences is they get figured out by mid year and his offenses slump

This is so unbelievably dumb I can't believe people still repeat it.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR teams figure out Kyle Shanahan's offense mid-season (not true, but let's go with it for the sake of argument).

Then, EVERY SINGLE YEAR teams forget what they figured out the year before.

Amazing how that works :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, brewman said:

I can tell you the difference this year in two words:  Alex Mack.  Having someone in charge at center that get's the rest of the OL on the same page, and is strong up the middle has completely opened up the game plan.  

It's not only getting the OL gelled and having solid blocking up the middle, but I'd wager Alex Mack took a good 25-30% of Ryan's responsibility off his plate pre-snap.  Last season, Matt was either constantly checking the line or constantly getting his *** mauled.  This season, Ryan does a quick check and moves on to reading coverage and run fits.  His development in this offense, I firmly believe, was stunted by having Person at C.  

A QB has 40 seconds to call the play, get to the line, ensure everyone is lined up, check the protection, call motions or audibles, then get the snap off.  Last season, Ryan was spending way too much of that time helping with o-line issues.

Shanahan is definitely a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In the first half last year he looked like a genius and was being mentioned as a hot HC candidate. Then his offense faceplanted in the second half, he and Ryan clearly weren't on the same page, and the play calling was often baffling. It was so bad that Quinn had to come out and give him a vote of confidence after the season and confirm he wasn't going to be fired. Now, with the exception of the Bucs game, he's calling brilliant games again. I don't get it. I've never seen an OC swing to such extremes. 

I'm hoping what's happened is that he and Ryan are finally on the same page and the offense is taking off as a result. Unlike last year's first half, the Falcons have beat some quality opponents in their 4-1 start this year.

Edited by Striker42

12 minutes ago, Striker42 said:

Shanahan is definitely a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In the first half last year he looked like a genius and was being mentioned as a hot HC candidate. Then his offense faceplanted in the second half, he and Ryan clearly weren't on the same page, and the play calling was often baffling. It was so bad that Quinn had to come out and give him a vote of confidence after the season and confirm he wasn't going to be fired. Now, with the exception of the Bucs game, he's calling brilliant games again. I don't get it. I've never seen an OC swing to such extremes. 

I'm hoping what's happened is that he and Ryan are finally on the same page and the offense is taking off as a result. Unlike last year's first half, the Falcons have beat some quality opponents in their 4-1 start this year.

"Clearly," lol.

The play calling was fine.  It's like I told my dad last night after a play got stuffed at the line.  He said "well that was a dumb play call."  I said "yeah, he should have called the one that worked."

He also isn't calling games any better than last season.  He has more weapons, he has more to work with, his o-line is playing well, the QB is playing well, etc.  So in terms of game planning, he can do things he couldn't last year.  But that doesn't mean his playcalling was ever the problem.  It's surface level reasoning to suggest otherwise.

1 minute ago, turnerdburner said:

Josina Anderson Retweeted Jerome Jordan

On the #Falcons offensive attack Harris said, "we haven't seen that scheme since the AFCCG. That's the #PatriotsNFL_Season_2016_NE.png all day." #ReceivingRBs

The crazy thing is it's like an MMA fighter who has great standup and great wrestling and great submissions -- he can beat you anywhere.

The Falcons are like that.  Take away Julio.  We double dog dare you.  Shanahan can scheme for anyone because the offense is capable of beating you with WRs, TEs, RBs (either running or receiving) or any combination of the above.  The more holes you have, the worse it's going to be.

When your quarterback is not afraid the center is going to snap the ball into the nearest hotdog stand...and the offensive line actually gets between the defensive players and the quarterback while he searches for open receivers...and you have (literally) 6 people who run perfect routes to whom the quarterback can pass the ball...well, all the above happening on almost every offensive snap tends to make any offensive coordinator look pretty genius.   And right now this offense looks better than any Falcons offense I've ever seen. 

Just now, octoslash said:

When your quarterback is not afraid the center is going to snap the ball into the nearest hotdog stand...and the offensive line actually gets between the defensive players and the quarterback while he searches for open receivers...and you have (literally) 6 people who run perfect routes to whom the quarterback can pass the ball...well, all the above happening on almost every offensive snap tends to make any offensive coordinator look pretty genius.   And right now this offense looks better than any Falcons offense I've ever seen. 

It's true to an extent that having a lot of diverse weapons and a great o-line will make any OC look good, but the story on Shanahan wasn't that he's capable of being a great OC with great weapons.  The story on Shanahan was he didn't know what he was doing and teams "figure him out."

Turns out the people who said that are fools.

Just now, JDaveG said:

It's true to an extent that having a lot of diverse weapons and a great o-line will make any OC look good, but the story on Shanahan wasn't that he's capable of being a great OC with great weapons.  The story on Shanahan was he didn't know what he was doing and teams "figure him out."

Turns out the people who said that are fools.

Back in December I wanted him gone.   But it looks like he might be coming into his own, you know, just like many players do, it takes time to build a career, and its a good thing some of us fools are not running NFL teams. 

Just now, octoslash said:

Back in December I wanted him gone.   But it looks like he might be coming into his own, you know, just like many players do, it takes time to build a career, and its a good thing some of us fools are not running NFL teams. 

Sorry -- wasn't intended as a shot at you.  

The thing is, he isn't really growing so much as he's able to implement what he wants to do because he got the pieces he needs.  That takes time.  But him having so much say in things has really helped.  And he didn't have to ask for much -- "draft this RB and this TE, and then go get me a C.  This WR is a malcontent, get rid of him and get me some fast guys who can play and a good no. 2 -- physical guy who is fast enough but also blocks and is a good route runner."

Great coaches are usually great coaches because they get players that fit their scheme and then make it as versatile as possible.  That's what we did.  Shanahan is smelling like a rose right now.