Ryan's Quick Pass Release

Tim Mazetti

Can Matt Ryan's quick passing attack slow down Denver's defense

We've heard about this matchup all week.

by Matthew Chambers @FalconsM5 Oct 8, 2016, 10:00a
Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

The Denver Broncos have the best defense in the league. The Atlanta Falcons have the best offense in the league. Those two cannot co-exist Sunday evening.

So who wins? As a long suffering Falcons fan, it is not usually the Falcons. This year is a bit different. Atlanta has easily the strongest offensive line they've had this century. The roster feels stacked, which is something so foreign to me it almost sound Greek. And the Falcons are far and away the best performing offense in the league. As as a vocal critic of Kyle Shanahan, it hurts my pride to say Shanahan has Matt Ryan firing on all cylinders.

The Falcons are likely to rely on their strong run game against Denver's surprisingly soft run defense. But can Jake Matthews even slow down Von Miller? That's no knock on Jake, just respect for Miller. Shanahan should provide plenty of help blocking, disguise the play, and all of that.

What hasn't been talked about as much? Matt Ryan's quick delivery against the Carolina Panthers. Black and Blue Review broke down 12 passes from last Sunday and Ryan gets rid of the ball lightning quick. Their summary of the record breaking offensive display?

Lack of a pass rush from the front four + blitzers not getting to Ryan + inevitable growing pains in the secondary = these 12 completions.

Ryan has five-step drops and fires off a pass in 2.23 seconds, 1.82 seconds, 2.33 seconds, 2.00 seconds, 2.02 seconds, 2.23 seconds, and three-step drops in 2.08 seconds, 1.92 seconds, 1.73 seconds. There were a few longer drop backs, likely thanks to a lack of pressure, but even including the stats from all 12 passes, the results are awesome: six blitzes, nine five-step drops with an average of 2.44 seconds to throw, and an average of 20.4 yards in the air.

/fans self

/wipes sweat from brow

/takes cold shower

The main concern Sunday will be Miller. He's usually in the running with J.J. Watt for best defensive player in the league, and we saw in the Super Bowl what happens when he plays against a quarterback that holds onto the football too long. Like way too long. Ryan's quick decisions will hopefully limit Miller's impact on Sunday, thanks in part to these lightning quick throws. If successful enough, Atlanta should be able to balance out their rushing attack and come away with their 4th win.

I agree with Chambers that we cannot scheme to have Mathews blocking Von Miller one on one all game. Nothing against Mathews, but no OT can block Miller one on one all game.

Secondly, I agree with Chambers that Shannahan needs to design a game plan that provides plenty of help blocking, disguise the play and all of that.

With a proper game plan put in by Shannahan, our players have a good shot at executing enough plays to win this game assuming the defense is going to give up some Tds as it has in all the other games.

On Matt Ryan's quick  release, it plays a huge role in keeping this mad dog pass rush off him. But Shanny is going to have to design plays where our receivers can quickly get away from two outstanding CBs. If they just run go routes those CBs are going to be sticking to the receivers for the first few seconds allowing the pass rush to get there. 

If Shanny designs the pass plays the right way it will allow our QB to get the ball to the receivers unsigned his quick release. Bunch plays where we have three receivers bunch up allowing one to get open by others picking the CB is a great way to design plays against the Denver defense. Crossing routes is another good way to utilize Ryan's quick release and get our receivers open quickly after they snap. 13 sets with 3 TEs will help offset the vicious pass rush on the edges and design plays and give Ryan enough time to get the ball out and also help with extra blocking in the running game.

Make no mistake about this. This game is a high stakes chess game. To beta the best defense in the NFL on the road, you'd better have a game plan designed to put your players in the best position to succeed or you'll have little chance of winning.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Make no mistake about this. This game is a high stakes chess game. To beta the best defense in the NFL on the road, you'd better have a game plan designed to put your players in the best position to succeed or you'll have little chance of winning.

I enjoyed your post on the game planning for this game, and you came to mind as I was reading this. It IS going to be fun to see how Shanny has preped his offense.

4 minutes ago, fuego said:

Just heard a stat on ESPN that Matt is 1-8 against top 5 defenses. So today is the time to show his stuff. 

Don't know the 9 games being referenced, but most of that has occurred with an Oline not quite as stout as this Oline is and is playing. Mack's addition has been one h*** of an addition, not to mention the Oline is much more adept to the new offensive scheme now.

24 minutes ago, fuego said:

Just heard a stat on ESPN that Matt is 1-8 against top 5 defenses. So today is the time to show his stuff. 

Wins are a team stat. 

Ryan himself  played lights out against the two best defenses in be NFL in the 2012 playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, gp_74 said:

Don't know the 9 games being referenced, but most of that has occurred with an Oline not quite as stout as this Oline is and is playing. Mack's addition has been one h*** of an addition, not to mention the Oline is much more adept to the new offensive scheme now.

Good post.

13 minutes ago, gp_74 said:

From 08-12 we had some decent lines. We were always one of the least sacked teams in the NFL until McClure retired and the center position became a mess. Not to mention all the injuries we had on the line in 13 and 14. I do like this line tho. We have 300 pounders moving sideways pretty fast. Usually zone blocking lineman are lighter. Mack is 311 himself and I think mcclure was t even 300. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

From 08-12 we had some decent lines. We were always one of the least sacked teams in the NFL until McClure retired and the center position became a mess. Not to mention all the injuries we had on the line in 13 and 14. I do like this line tho. We have 300 pounders moving sideways pretty fast. Usually zone blocking lineman are lighter. Mack is 311 himself and I think mcclure was t even 300. 

Ryan's quick release helped mitigate sacks during that period. Other QBs would have been eaten alive behind some of those lines although a couple years they were pretty good.

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

correct we actually have a pretty big line except they all can move unlike lamar holmes and peter doughboy konzs back in the day

Some are saying they are counting on our defense this game.

im am too, I'm counting on them giving up 21-24 points. This puts the game in the hands of our offense to somehow score more than that.

im also counting on our defense to get a turnover, but that will be offset by a turnover by our offense...

Comes down to the chess match between our offense and their defense. In Shanny I trust.

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Some are saying they are counting on our defense this game.

im am too, I'm counting on them giving up 21-24 points. This puts the game in the hands of our offense to somehow score more than that.

im also counting on our defense to get a turnover, but that will be offset by a turnover by our offense...

Comes down to the chess match between our offense and their defense. In Shanny I trust.

Thats it right there.

i want to be eating a big plate of crow 

1 hour ago, fuego said:

Since we just beat a top 3 defense in Carolina last week, I guess they are saying Matt Ryan was 0-8 before last week. Surely in his 8+ year career Matt has played more than 9 games versus top 5 defenses...

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Since we just beat a top 3 defense in Carolina last week, I guess they are saying Matt Ryan was 0-8 before last week. Surely in his 8+ year career Matt has played more than 9 games versus top 5 defenses...

I thought Carolina was about 7th before we played them.

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Our line deteriorated from 08 on.  We had a serviceable Oline in 08 and 09 but after 10 on it was pretty much garbage.  That was seen in our deteriorating running game (that and due to Turner eating too many cheese burgers).  By 12 our line was probably the worst in the league.  I think we also had stretches in 12 - 14 where most of the Oline was out due to injury.  If we didn't have Matt with his quick release this team might have won three games in the last three years, until this year.

4 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Our line deteriorated from 08 on.  We had a serviceable Oline in 08 and 09 but after 10 on it was pretty much garbage.  That was seen in our deteriorating running game (that and due to Turner eating too many cheese burgers).  By 12 our line was probably the worst in the league.  I think we also had stretches in 12 - 14 where most of the Oline was out due to injury.  If we didn't have Matt with his quick release this team might have won three games in the last three years, until this year.

I don't buy that. You ain't putting up the type numbers Matt put up with a sh*tty line. You're just not. And ALL good qb's have quick releases so ALL lines look better when they have a qb that gets rid of the ball.

Big Ben and Cam take a lot of sacks and hits because they hold the ball. Rodgers takes a lot of hits and sacks when he holds the ball as well. Koetters system is like Mike Martz. Your qb will ALWAYS be open for hits and sacks in that 4 verts system. The rams had one of the best lines back then yet Warner took a lot of hits and sacks. It's the system more than the line that kept Matt open for hits.

It looks like Oakland has the best line in the NFL but Carr gets rid of the ball so fast that I'm willing to bet 500 bucks THATS why they look like the best, which goes back to my point of ALL good qb's get rid of the ball quickly. Dan Marino had one of the best releases in the game, so did Montana, Steve young, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and just about any great qb on history.

The problem was the more we turned the offense over to Matt we became unbalanced. ESPECIALLY when Koetter got here. We were throwing the ball 60-65%. Of course you're gonna get hit and sacked more when you're unbalanced like that with 4 wide sets all game long. That doesn't mean the line wasn't good enough. If they weren't then how did Matt and Julio connect deep in 2012? And before Julio it was Roddy deep.