Weems out, McKissic in?

B3TD

Hate to be the one to rain on the parade, but actually think it will be a good thing to do what a lot of us thought they should have after the preseason, and give McKissic his shot.

If Weems no longer has the vet advantage of making good decisions, then there's no downside to just move on.

I love the guy for what he's done for the team over the years, he's been a special teams all-star, but I don't know what was going through his head today.

(Edit: just in case any confusion over the title, this is just speculation. Well-founded speculation, but nonetheless...)

Edited by B3TD

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

No.

He misplayed one bad bounce. It happens. 

He also didn't even bother to try to fair-catch, what, 3 balls they downed inside the 5?

Had the offense not been so prolific, he'd be getting crucified right now.

The coaching staff had obviously seen enough too, pulling him for Hardy.

Edited by B3TD

Just now, B3TD said:

He also didn't even bother to try to fair-catch, what, 3 balls they downed inside the 5?

Had the offense not been so prolific, he'd be getting crucified right now.

Those punts were insane. I have never seen anyone get perfect bounces off punts dropping them inside the 5 like that. The closest I can remember was Shane Lechler single handledly beating the Bears a few years back while on the Raiders. He dropped every punt inside the 5 but out of bounds, basically winning the game for the Raiders.

He could have fair caught them but the field position wouldn't have been much better. Last week he had a great return on a kickoff and some good ST tackles. McKissic played on the scout team. 

H3ll no. How quick you forget weems was a reason we beat Oakland. He's been a reason we've started in good field position. Ppl also underestimate having a good kicker and playing the field position game. The panthers have ALWAYS played the field position game with us pinning is deep and it usually worked over the last few years but not anymore. He did like he was supposed to do. The one bounce is the only mistake he made today. 

9 minutes ago, B3TD said:

Hate to be the one to rain on the parade, but actually think it will be a good thing to do what a lot of us thought they should have after the preseason, and give McKissic his shot.

If Weems no longer has the vet advantage of making good decisions, then there's no downside to just move on.

I love the guy for what he's done for the team over the years, he's been a special teams all-star, but I don't know what was going through his head today.

(Edit: just in case any confusion over the title, this is just speculation. Well-founded speculation, but nonetheless...)

I approve this message

7 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

I like Mckissic on kickoffs true, but,  Weems is a monster on kickoff  and punt coverage, and has done some good things on return this year. I too was on the board for keeping Mc, but would be  risk losing Weems on coverage , 

This is why he didn't make the team, and why he will continue to not make the roster until he adds another element to his game.

Even the best returner in the NFL has to be able to contribute either on offense, or the other side of ST.

Until McKissic can either become a better receiver, or learn to be a good gunner on ST, he'll continue to be on the PS.

As far as Weems today, I really don't know what happened, and even whether it was his fault or not (ie. told to let it bounce). All I know, is that I didn't like it, and it needs to get fixed ASAP.

Just now, hjerry said:

This is why he didn't make the team, and why he will continue to not make the roster until he adds another element to his game.

Even the best returner in the NFL has to be able to contribute either on offense, or the other side of ST.

Until McKissic can either become a better receiver, or learn to be a good gunner on ST, he'll continue to be on the PS.

As far as Weems today, I really don't know what happened, and even whether it was his fault or not (ie. told to let it bounce). All I know, is that I didn't like it, and it needs to get fixed ASAP.

Agreed, he didnt have a good game today but he (Weems ) has been very good the 1st 3 games 

32 minutes ago, B3TD said:

You forget the coverage aspect to Weems game.

I know that a lot of fans have a really short memory, but it was mistakes like we saw today that led to us going out and getting Hester.  Weems makes really bad catch/no-catch decisions on punts.  He lets WAY too many balls bounce.  He's a monster in return coverage, but as a returner, he has really poor judgement.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You forget the coverage aspect to Weems game.

No, I said I loved him for that, I'm just tired of having a mediocre return game. 

Weems has had a few nice returns, and I'm fine if they want to let him primarily cover and use Hardy... But I'm also happy if they think McKissic can make a difference. Special teams has looked pretty good outside of Weems.

35 minutes ago, B3TD said:

In fairness, any ball inside the 10 you don't want them to fair catch. You just let them go into the end zone. Carolina was just getting th bounces on the punts today 

Just now, FalconsInCanada said:

People would be bitching if he fair caught them because without hindsight you wouldn't know they were going to bounce straight up instead of flying out the back of the endzone. Most the time those punts are touchbacks and we start at the 20, there punter did a **** good job.

Exactly. Just as I said in the post before yours. 

2 minutes ago, fuego said:

In fairness, any ball inside the 10 you don't want them to fair catch. You just let them go into the end zone. Carolina was just getting th bounces on the punts today 

thank you, I was scrolling to see if anyone had posted this yet. I don't get some people, they can't seem to grasp that the guys on the other team get paid to do their jobs too. That punter was nailing it down today

The bounce that Weems missed was bad but also a good vet move at the same time.

What I mean is when that happened Weems didn't freak out. He stayed calm and picked up the ball and made sure to stay in bounds.

If that same situation happened to an inexperienced rookie that very easily could have been a safety or even touchdown for the panthers.