Does Anyone Else Love DQ for Deferring the Coin Toss as Much as I Do?

Radiohead

This used to drive me nuts about Mike Smith, he would ALWAYS accept if they won the toss and I think we all know how awful the 3rd Quarters have gone for the Falcons in recent history.

Now they haven't looked excellent this year in the 3rd Quarter, except for today, which one could argue was single-handedly the best 3rd Quarter I've ever seen them come out and play.

I think this also sets the tone to the Defense that DQ trusts them enough to put them out first and then get themselves off of the field.

Setting the tone like this to your team is a very nuanced thing, but I think it paid off huge today.

Say what you want about Carolina's O-line and Stewart being out... The Falcons D Dominated Cam and that offense for 3 Quarters.

I've always been a fan of it because if you can end the first half with a TD and start the second half with a TD, that's an unanswered 14 point run. Also, if you are sucking wind, you can just survive and get to halftime to reassess. 

Smitty always wanted a fast start. DQ is more about weathering the early emotional storm and winning the second half, where most games are won. 

It has always baffled me that so few besides Belichick know that you always defer.

So what if your offense is that much better than the D, they can match a score. No matter what happens going into half, you have the ball first to do whatever you have to do. Common sense.

Receiving is for the cocky and cowardly.

I love that he defers, most teams take a possession or two to get rolling, so I like the chances of getting sloppier offensive play from the opposing team and steal a possession for us. And when it comes to a team like the Saints, who like us, score alot on their first possession, we might aswell just get it out of the way lol