Our defense is forming an identity

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, north falcon said:

We almost gave up 500 yards. This is what you were hoping for? Are you the dumbest fan on the planet?

Sure, if you look solely at the stats, it was abysmal. But what I saw watching the game was a defense learning to gel. We're very young on D, it's a work in progress -- and last night showed progress to me.

The defense sucked.  

But they sucked with Speed and Physicality.  Just gotta get more experience and technique.  Most of those passes were on the money with good coverage.  We won't see much better accuracy than Brees.  We didn't have any dumb penalties (mostly because Brees didn't need them).  But that's something to be positive about.  

Oh yeah, Didn't have a chance to replay, but I didn't think the roughing the passer or kicker penalties were warranted  

Edited by ParanoidAndroid

29 minutes ago, dhayester said:

Sure, if you look solely at the stats, it was abysmal. But what I saw watching the game was a defense learning to gel. We're very young on D, it's a work in progress -- and last night showed progress to me.

I guess....I mean, we're 30th in yards and 28th in points. If we make a big improvement, it'll still means we have a below average defense. 

If you want to say that our offense is so good that we can survive with a below average defense, then I'll agree with that. 

Or if you want to say that we played against 3 pretty good offenses (although IDK about TB), then I'll agree with that too.

45 minutes ago, north falcon said:

We almost gave up 500 yards. This is what you were hoping for? Are you the dumbest fan on the planet?

We are at bottom of every defensive category and people like what they've seen from our defense? I don't get it 

The D looked better in certain areas BUT...

several plays the D-line looked like they were playing musical chairs. Especially the first few plays. 

They got better as the game went on but it kinda looked like they weren't to sure where to line up (for a good portion of the game).

I understand they have to re-adjust on certain plays but to me it looked like they were clueless on certain plays.

but again they looked better and will get better as each game comes.

8 hours ago, Macintez said:

I like this boy Neal... He's gonna be the "It" factor this defense builds around. I can't wait to see how he develops. Pass rush is starting to... Exist (Very slightly). Jones is growing and Campbell will hopefully return soon. We will get better as the season goes on.

I agree completely. Neal is Quinn's signature pick to build this defense in his image. Still a year or so away, but it's getting there.

6 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

A+++++ draft

I thought hooper would hurt this draft but they picked up great players all across the board .  best draft in falcons history

The past 3 drafts have been the best 3 consecutive drafts we've ever had...not our best ever drafts, but bests in a row. 

The defense looked better last night even if they did give up a lot of yards and points. I saw more pressure on Brees than I expected with Beasley actually affecting some plays (even though he never actually got to Brees). That being said there's still a ton of room for improvement.

The scheme is still way too stiff. There needs to be more creativity. I know we can't do that CB blitz every play but we need more aggressive thinking like that. Getting beat consistently by the tight end down the middle of the field was annoying. It seems the Falcons were the only ones who didn't know when that play was coming.

Still, it was nice to see the defense trying to seize the initiative and not play from their heels.

I'm happy with some of the key defensive plays they made last night, but if you're not still concerned (overall) with the Falcon's Defense, I'm not sure what team you're watching.

I'm more optimistic about the D than I was at the beginning of the year. I think D. Jones and if D. Campbell can come back change what this defense can do.

Weatherspoon continued to be a massive liability in coverage last night and he'll get picked on week after week until Campbell comes back.

They are young though and if they can just "bend not break" then things should be alright.

Quinn MUST come up with an answer for the over-the-middle passing abuse that teams levy onto his Defense every week, however.

On a more positive note, Brian Poole has been one of the best surprises on Defense I've seen in a long, long time. That kid can PLAY!

i'm sorry but this defense is terrible. I enjoyed the win and was grateful for the hand full of plays the defense made but we aren't going to win very many games with a near non existent pass rush. I hated the play calling and while the players are playing more physical I feel like the scheme is extremely soft and the play calling drudged up memories of Smitty's constantly playing not to lose mentality. I also hate the personnel groupings in the front seven and our sub packages.

I feel that we are faster and more physical on defense than we have been for a long time but we are not aggressive so it's a waste of all that speed and physical play. I also lack others faith that this defense will improve because I feel the problem is more on the scheme and play calling than it is on the talent on the field

Our defense needs a lot of work. I will say this though. The personal foul running into the kicker after they got a stop gave the Saints a second chance where they tied it up 14-14. If we got that stop, we would've been up 28-7 on the Saints last drive instead of 28-14, before their FG to close the half. That one penalty might have made a much bigger impact on how our defense looked this game. 

If our offense can keep playing like this, our young defense should have time to develop. I have hope, though I have no confidence in them yet.