By the Numbers: Matt Ryan vs. the Saints

birdz4i

Posted 4 hours ago

By Curtis Jackson

QB Matt Ryan has put up some incredible numbers in the 17 times he's faced the Saints. Let's take a closer look at just how good he's been through the years

Corny writing 101 would tell me to drop a “Dey Know” reference in memory of Shawty Lo, when Saints fans ask “Who Dat,” but we’ll skip that and get right to the facts.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryanicon-article-link.gif will be going against the New Orleans Saints for the 18th time in his career this Monday on ESPN. Why another article on Ryan you ask? Should I dig up some stats and write about somebody else? Probably, but the guy has put up some very impressive numbers so far this season and against the Saints.

Ryan has a history of putting up impressive numbers versus Atlanta’s rivals in the Crescent City. The nine-year vet has recorded two 400-yard passing games versus the Saints, including a franchise record 448 passing yards in 2014 – only other team he’s put up 400 passing yards against was the New England Patriots in 2013.

Ryan has put up solid numbers against teams in his division, averaging 263.1 yards per game, 64.7-completion percentage, and 68 touchdowns. But it seems like a fire is lit inside him whenever the quarterback from Boston College sees black and gold. In 15 games versus the Saints, Ryan has recorded 301.5 yards per game, 24 touchdowns, a 64.5-completion percentage, and a 96.0 passer rating. He has also posted eight 300-yard games versus New Orleans, which is the most against any team in the NFL. Ryan has also only thrown one interception in the past five games against New Orleans as well.

Along with his impressive numbers, Ryan has been on a pretty outstanding streak over the past two and half seasons, throwing for at least 200 yards in 41 straight games. Hopefully, Ryan can carry this streak and his impressive numbers into the Mercedes-Benz Superdome and translate that to a win to move his team to 2-1 on Monday night.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/By-the-Numbers-Matt-Ryan-vs-the-Saints/ac380712-bbdf-4791-ba1e-74996c5372dc

Ryan is dominant against the Saints. Can only imagine what he'll do to a depleted secondary. It's our D I'm worried about.

Riddle me this, though: 17 games against the Saints?

He's had 8 seasons, which would mean 16 games ... but he missed one with turf toe, so that's 15.

Where did they get that number? I'd remember if we'd met them in the play-offs.

1 minute ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Ryan is dominant against the Saints. Can only imagine what he'll do to a depleted secondary. It's our D I'm worried about.

He's had 8 seasons, which would mean 16 games ... but he missed one with turf toe, so that's 15.

Good catch, he has only faced them 15 times.  That is a flub.  We have definitley never met them in the playoffs.

Edited by athell

56 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I was going to point this out. In the beginning they say 18th time and later they say "In 15 games..."

Either way, the only number that matters is the wins and that's where he's lacking. 

18 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

If that happens I think the floodgates open.

Yeah, cause payton will abandon the run and it'll be much easier to get to Brees. Let them be the ones to make the mistakes this year.

Ideally- Get up early on them, let the reality of 0-3 sink in over halftime, run them out of the building second half.