Falcons looking to fix 'embarrassing' pass rush

theProf

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Duff_Man said:

I am really curious as to how Schofield's agent ended up getting no contract for the season.

I am too.  I think they drastically overestimated his value to the league and underestimated the extent to which even pass rush hungry teams would quickly move on from him.

There's no easy fix with the pass rush. Right now I'm seeing issues both with personnel and with schemes. No amount of scheming will create a consistent pass rush when your personnel are consistently losing their battles. Conversely, great talent can be wasted when it isn't being used correctly. I'm seeing our guys consistently losing their battles with O-linemen and I'm not seeing any creativity with the scheme to get our guys better opportunities. The pass rush could continue to be a problem for a couple more years at least.

58 minutes ago, Club212 said:

OK...So what's new? Since Abe left...how has TD fixed this problem???

Ugh stop blaming everything on TD. Quinn has final say over the roster. Beasley was supposed to be the solution. They draft a DE to address the problem and he's now in his second year. Ridiculous. 

Well, the way I see it right now, the experiment using Shelby, Clayborn & Upshaw as undersized inside men is not paying dividends...

So...

You must consider the combo of Hags & Jarrett working inside.  Then we need to spell them occasionally with Babs & Jackson so they don't get too gassed.  The only other real DT we have is Joe Vellano who is a practice squad guy I think.

Babs is getting up there now and it is clear we are in need of a new infusion of strong, young DT's.  We desperately need to use at least two high draft choices along the Dline imo.  Best players available at DT/DE.  

Shede looked very good in that Raiders game folks.  But nobody can keep up that pace of using brute force.  We need to string together plays where it's not just one guy flashing.  Jarrett is a keeper.  Who can step up with Shede?  Babs, Freeney, Beasley, Shelby??

Is it too much to ask to have two guys beating their man at once fellas? 

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

We signed Scho this week.  I doubt that's a coincidence.  They are changing things up.

It appears that the Falcons will use Schofield as the starting SLB in the base defense, and move Wheeler as a back-up to both inside LB positions. However, when the Falcons go to the nickel package, they have been taking out the SLB and inserting a NCB as the 5th DB. Therefore, I'm not sure how or if the Falcons plan to use Scho on passing downs.

Shede was one of the guys that balled out in the Saints game two years ago when Brees was sacked five times.

Anyway, it's been a long time coming and I would think the players by now are tired of hearing the chatter about no pass rush. Something has got to give.

59 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Well this is a problem that goes back a decade. Abe was the only player in recent times that could pass rush by himself.

What we have lacked is an emphasis on getting really huge fat guys on the DL. We need at least 2 330LB + fat monsters on the DL to collapse the pocket and allow our DE's to get to the QB.

For several Regime's now we have gone finesse for our DL's. But the few times we got a fat monster on DL it worked out well, Grady Jackson was a great benefit for our team Soliai was a great run stuffer.

Why can't we ever have a couple of big monsters on the DL to rotate with?

THIS.  This is the main issue, you need at least one player that can rush the passer no matter what.  We rarely had high sack numbers even with Abe, but he could be counted on to get 10+ plus sacks by himself, and rush the passer at the end of games when it is needed most.

29 minutes ago, darealist said:

THIS.  This is the main issue, you need at least one player that can rush the passer no matter what.  We rarely had high sack numbers even with Abe, but he could be counted on to get 10+ plus sacks by himself, and rush the passer at the end of games when it is needed most.

Well even old Freeney can pass rush by himself so if he falls off the cliff then it is scheme and or lack of girth up front

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

That's something that's starting to irk me too.  I assume it's just my general lack of knowledge of anything related to defensive football, but I don't understand it.

Then again, the last staff did it too, and we all complained then.  When 2 staffs do the same thing, maybe it ain't the coaching that's the problem.  Maybe they're just trying to cobble together enough minimally competent lines to field a minimally competent defense.

I really hope you're dead wrong, but I'm afraid you're dead on with this. :(

1 hour ago, theProf said:

Thanks for your specific response. In the nickle packages, Atlanta has been taking out the SLB and putting in a NCB (Poole) and using Beasley at DE. They keep the MLB and WLB as the cover LBs and basically use a 4-2-5 package in the Nickel.  With Beasley staying in at SLB, who would you eliminate (one of the cover LBs or the NCB) and what formation would you use?

As far as generating an interior pass rush with the DTs, I do think that Jarrett has that ability. However, to use Jarrett in the nickel, you need to take him out of the base defense a good bit. I haven't seen anything from Upshaw yet to indicate that he could collapse the pocket from a DT position. I thought Derrick Shelby might have that pocket-collapsing ability, but have not seen it from him yet this season. To me, I think Hageman has shown some ability to collapse a pocket, so I would prefer to try Hageman as one of the DTs in the nickel.

So far it hasn't been effective. Use 4-2-5 with Beasley at LB and rush him on some downs.

1 hour ago, Mr. Lubba Lubba© said:

We don't need Pro Bowl D-Linemen at every spot to get some sacks.  We have more than adequate personnel to not be at the bottom at this point.

I'll accept your premise, but if we have adequate talent along the DL, what is the reason(s) we are still at the bottom in sack production in your opinion? Is it Richard Smith? Quinn? Both? Too much of both?

To me the on-going lack of pass rush indicates some things we already know: Beasley is nowhere near the pass rusher in the NFL everybody expected him to be. It's early still, but he has had no impact.

Another principal reason is the complete lack of production from Upshaw, Shelby, Reed, Freeney and Clayborn. Another reason is Quinn/Smith only rush four, rarely if ever blitz and this isn't producing enough pressure on the QB to result in a sack. Quinn, like Mike Smith, seems to be disinterested in the sack as a high-value defensive goal.

But what is your assessment if it isn't lack of top-tier sack talent? Just curious.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

That's something that's starting to irk me too.  I assume it's just my general lack of knowledge of anything related to defensive football, but I don't understand it.

Then again, the last staff did it too, and we all complained then.  When 2 staffs do the same thing, maybe it ain't the coaching that's the problem.  Maybe they're just trying to cobble together enough minimally competent lines to field a minimally competent defense.

Common demoniator? 

dimitroff-inline-right.jpg

I just did a thread on how the great coaches can get so called mediocre talent to perform i.e. Bill Belichik but this Message Board has trouble digesting that concept.  Can't it not be more clear with Freeney who had 8 sacks last year in 10 games in Arizona or even Shelby in Miami but nothing here?  At some point we are going to have to come to the realization that it isn't necessarily the players since we change them regularly but rather the scheme and how the players are utilized.  The coaching staff will have to do a better job and hopefully it starts tonight!

Edited by peoriabird

2 hours ago, Club212 said:

OK...So what's new? Since Abe left...how has TD fixed this problem???

Same with Irsay and an  oline and running game. Same with ap never getting a passing game. TD really hasnt added the pieces I agree but alot of these coachng staffs havent done ish with talent they do have. Atleast not coaching em up to their potential