Jump to content

Jones struggled alot of that prevent defense drive at the end


mc
 Share

Recommended Posts

He dropped to far, he missed wide open tackles and failed to notice the rb coming out of the backfield until he caught it.

 

Jones will get better but I wonder if they will go with Weatherspoon until Jones gets more experience.

 

I can't do gifs but nfl pass shows the coaches tape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mc said:

He dropped to far, he missed wide open tackles and failed to notice the rb coming out of the backfield until he caught it.

 

Jones will get better but I wonder if they will go with Weatherspoon until Jones gets more experience.

 

I can't do gifs but nfl pass shows the coaches tape.

I saw Julio drop a pass that fell right into his hands and miss two blocks in the running game last week. I wonder if they'll bench him and bring up someone from the practice squad to take his place Monday night?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mc said:

He dropped to far, he missed wide open tackles and failed to notice the rb coming out of the backfield until he caught it.

 

Jones will get better but I wonder if they will go with Weatherspoon until Jones gets more experience.

 

I can't do gifs but nfl pass shows the coaches tape.

How do you get more experience of you don't play? And everybody dropped deep because they wanted them to take a long time and waste clock with everything underneath. They were giving them the underneath. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DJ has struggled at times....but also he is a rookie. What I am seeing is a player who is learning his position in this defense and getting better. I wouldn't worry to much about that drive. 

7 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

How do you get more experience of you don't play? And everybody dropped deep because they wanted them to take a long time and waste clock with everything underneath. They were giving them the underneath. 

 

57 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Thank you,beat me to it

Also, what they ^ said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

all of our backers drop to far, its amazing that this happens every game under quinn, rush 3-4 and drop 7-8 and the other team still throws a 8 yead route underneath, this defense is a joke

While I know what you mean, I guess it's better then rushing 4 or 5 and getting torched for even bigger plays..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gazoo said:

I saw Julio drop a pass that fell right into his hands and miss two blocks in the running game last week. I wonder if they'll bench him and bring up someone from the practice squad to take his place Monday night?

Easy fellow... OP was just making an observation about Jones. He wasn't judging him too harsh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

all of our backers drop to far, its amazing that this happens every game under quinn, rush 3-4 and drop 7-8 and the other team still throws a 8 yead route underneath, this defense is a joke

They're not doing that man. Last year yes because Worrilow and Durant was too slow to close but that's not happening this year. They're giving them underneath and immediately make the tackles most of the time, which is what the defense is designed to do. What has to get better is the rush. The linebackers are fine. Teams are using gadget and trick plays to get yards on us. The problem in the Oakland game was their running game was working and that kept them in shorter down and distances. But nobody has really been benefiting on the dump off passes this year as opposed to last year.  Not giving up yac. Also it's not that they're dropping too far. It's that they have the SPEED to close. That's the major...major difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

The issue on that last drive was not dropping too deep. The issue was the missed tackles on that drive - there were 4. Fatigue was also an issue. And it wasn't just Jones either.

Absolutely. They were in hurry up. The object was to not get beat for a quick score. Tackle them immediately in bounds for short gains and make them burn timeouts. It still worked but not as good as they liked due to fatigue. I wanted the final score to be 35-21. That last drive skewed our defensive stats but it really didn't matter in that instance. We were playing for the win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They're not doing that man. Last year yes because Worrilow and Durant was too slow to close but that's not happening this year. They're giving them underneath and immediately make the tackles most of the time, which is what the defense is designed to do. What has to get better is the rush. The linebackers are fine. Teams are using gadget and trick plays to get yards on us. The problem in the Oakland game was their running game was working and that kept them in shorter down and distances. But nobody has really been benefiting on the dump off passes this year as opposed to last year.  Not giving up yac. Also it's not that they're dropping too far. It's that they have the SPEED to close. That's the major...major difference. 

Agree, they're doing much better at getting to the receiver immediately. Still some problems in making the tackle, but that looks to be because everybody in on the play is swiping at the ball and nobody is wrapping the receiver up. The improved speed and limiting yac has made this D noticeably better than last year, even at this early stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol

 

You people. 

Yea, julio scenario is the same. How dumb.

 

Yes. The last drive of the game is his only way to gain experience.  Had Mat not completed it cpuld have been like the last 3 years. We do stupid stuff and let the other team cone back and win.

 

I guess I am the only one that watched our games the last 3 years.

 

Just stupid comments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jones was playing his assignment with those deep drops. That's exactly what prevent defense does, encourages throws over the middle to  keep the clock moving.

I put that last drive on Smith and the play calling. Players didn't help the situation with the poor pursuit but Jones drops were within the design of the call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I absolutely despise the prevent defense.  I understand having 3 men deep to avoid a big play but dropping 7 and letting them go down the field in less than 2 mins and then having to make sure we get a couple of first downs to put the game away is counter productive.  It's not just Quinn and this staff that does this, Smitty did as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Macintez said:

Easy fellow... OP was just making an observation about Jones. He wasn't judging him too harsh.

Thank you. I think some of our posters have gotten so used to inflammatory post, that they have a very defensive reaction to well intended posters.  Fellas, give this guy a break. 

  • Point out the mistakes of Julio Jones to attack a question about a rookie defender? Really? This is right out of the political debate handbook. Don't address the issue, create distraction.
  • Attack the "football knowledge" of other posters?  Really?  This is a fan community. The assumption is none of us are football experts or we would be out on the field or working for one of the clubs.

Now as far as those of who simply disagreed with his level of concern...thank you.

Sorry for the lecture guys, but his OP was not in any way inflammatory, and I don't understand why it pumps some of you up to jump on the heads of others. Debate, but don't attack the innocent just because they pose a question about "your guy." There will be plenty of genuine rabble rousers for you to attack.  Had the OP said "he's a bust" or "get him off the field," then I would fully support the attacks. Dude was simply asking a question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, mc said:

Lol

 

You people. 

Yea, julio scenario is the same. How dumb.

 

Yes. The last drive of the game is his only way to gain experience.  Had Mat not completed it cpuld have been like the last 3 years. We do stupid stuff and let the other team cone back and win.

 

I guess I am the only one that watched our games the last 3 years.

 

Just stupid comments.

They were down 2 scores. There just wasn't any way they could've come back so I understand why they went into prevent. If they were only a score down I doubt they would've played that loose. I hate prevent defense but that was the call. Give up nothing deep or a "quick" score. They got gassed but that slow grind to score wasted their TO's. All we needed was a 1st down. We still had to punt but it just wasn't enough time for them left on the clock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree, they're doing much better at getting to the receiver immediately. Still some problems in making the tackle, but that looks to be because everybody in on the play is swiping at the ball and nobody is wrapping the receiver up. The improved speed and limiting yac has made this D noticeably better than last year, even at this early stage.

Absolutely. And most of the missed tackles are because they are dealing with some shifty runners. And add they are trying to knock the ball out. A shifty runner is gonna make at LEAST one person miss. That's rule of thumb. It doesn't just happen to our defense lol. Let the board tell it we have the only team that can't tackle shifty runners 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

They were down 2 scores. There just wasn't any way they could've come back so I understand why they went into prevent. If they were only a score down I doubt they would've played that loose. I hate prevent defense but that was the call. Give up nothing deep or a "quick" score. They got gassed but that slow grind to score wasted their TO's. All we needed was a 1st down. We still had to punt but it just wasn't enough time for them left on the clock. 

They would have had almost 2 min. That drive went by way to fast. That was a horrible drive for falcons d.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Absolutely. And most of the missed tackles are because they are dealing with some shifty runners. And add they are trying to knock the ball out. A shifty runner is gonna make at LEAST one person miss. That's rule of thumb. It doesn't just happen to our defense lol. Let the board tell it we have the only team that can't tackle shifty runners 

Just a reminder..

Falcon1_zpslnyhmqpu.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...