Kyle Shanahan likes spreading the ball, giving Julio Jones more quality looks

Kyle Shanahan likes spreading the ball, giving Julio Jones more quality looks

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan emphasized Friday the benefits of having quarterback Matt Ryan spread the ball around despite the team having a dominant wide receiver in Julio Jones.

In the 35-28 Week 2 victory over Oakland, Ryan completed passes to nine different receivers, and starting running back Devonta Freeman -- second on the team in receptions last season -- wasn’t one of them.

"It’s been nice," Shanahan said. "Teams are going to have to do something to Julio, with how good Julio is. And everyone knows that. You really hope Ju is one on one, and you feel pretty good about those matchups. But it’s nice when he’s not and he’s got some bad looks, there’s a lot of other opportunities out there at the tight-end position, the receiver position and the running-back position.

"You’ve got other guys who have made plays. It makes it easier. You don’t have to force it into tough looks. You can go where the coverage tells you. And when you do that, it kind of balances the field out and makes Ju’s catches a little more valuable. You might not have the same numbers for Ju and stuff, but I think the result ends up improving the offense."

Jones, who is recovering from a calf injury, leads the Falcons with 172 receiving yards and two touchdowns catches. However, he is second on the team in catches with nine to tight end Jacob Tamme's 11. Jones had been targeted 13 times, three fewer than Tamme and the same number of times as fellow receiver Mohamed Sanu (eight catches, 99 yards, TD). Six Falcons have four or more catches through the first two games.

Through the first two games last season, Jones had 22 receptions for 276 yards and two touchdowns on 27 targets. The Falcons won both of those games -- against the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants -- but that doesn’t mean force-feeding Jones automatically equals victory. Having other receivers make plays and beat one-on-one coverage is likely to give Jones more chances at one-on-one opportunities.

We’ll see if the Falcons spread the ball around Monday night in New Orleans, with the Saints giving up their share of passing yards (336 yards per game) and having a banged-up secondary. The Saints mix in some man coverages with their deep zones and are likely to try to double Jones.

Running the ball with Freeman and Tevin Coleman would be wise, of course, to help set up explosive play-action plays. And the Giants and Eli Manning, who ran a lot of no-huddle, had success moving the ball down the middle of the field against the Saints in Week 2, although New Orleans certainly tightened up in the red zone by not allowing any touchdowns.

I said this offseason it was too early to write off Shanny as he never had the  appropriate pieces last year to successfully run his offense, not to mention it's well know to be an extremely difficult offense for QBs and receivers to learn.

This year we have a legitimate center so the pocket isn't collapsinng into Ryans feet in passing situations, we have multiple,e legitimate targets in the passing game at TE and receiver where last year we had Julio, Free and   Tamme. 

Im super excited to see this all come together. Also, Shanny had a brilliant game plan against Oakland with very complex creative playcalling to get guys open and we all,saw what Quinn was talking about when he said Shanny was difficult to game plan against.

We have the pieces and Ryan has Mack holding a pocket and multiple targets to hit in passing game.

Shanny may need to invest in a chicken farm with all the egg that is going to be on his critics faces if this keeps up.

6 minutes ago, Bring It said:

Give Julio a body that doesn't break down while tying his shoes.

The dude is a human freak made of all high twitch fibers. I'd say he does a great job rehabbing and mentally preparing. He still cuts and runs just as hard even when he is banged up. I do wish we had some bubble wrap for him though haha

36 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

It's the QB who has the better grasp now. When you know where people are supposed to be (or going to be) it's easier to find the open person and spread the rock aroun. Julio's YPC is at 19 right now, that's scary. 

Wow, I didn't realize Julios YPC were 19 with 9 catches. That's off the hook. Hoop has a smaller sample size with 4 catches but has a 24.5 YPC average. 

In fact, Ryans average throw is 10 yards.....we are killing it

Last year there was a similar article, only Shanahan was preaching that when you have a guy like Julio the offense should put it in his hands as often as possible.

My opinion is he was wrong last year, and we're lucky he didn't get Julio seriously injured. I agree with what he's saying this year. I just wonder if he is like a politician, saying whatever to support his decisions. Because these articles couldn't be more opposite from last year to now...

Problen linking but its Mcclure, espn, nov. 2015...

Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan makes it clear: He's trying to feed Julio Jones

"The main thing is, I don't think about balancing out passes," Shanahan said. "I think about trying to get the ball to Julio (Jones), for the most part."

22 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Last year there was a similar article, only Shanahan was preaching that when you have a guy like Julio the offense should put it in his hands as often as possible.

My opinion is he was wrong last year, and we're lucky he didn't get Julio seriously injured. I agree with what he's saying this year. I just wonder if he is like a politician, saying whatever to support his decisions. Because these articles couldn't be more opposite from last year to now...

"The main thing is, I don't think about balancing out passes," Shanahan said. "I think about trying to get the ball to Julio (Jones), for the most part."

Because we didn't have anybody else last year. We had JJ and Free, that's it. That's the difference, not Kyle.

27 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Who else was he going to target last year? We had no one else.

I actually agree with him targeting Julio as much as possible last year and I agree with him spreading the ball this year now that we have a ton of additional capable targets.

In my view, the biggest reason we are doing better this year is personnel. We fixed the gaping holes in the offense with Mack, Sanu and Hooper which are monumental changes AND we have several additional complementary pieces in Robinson, Gabriel and a second year Hardy, not to mention Coleman is becoming a dangerous weapon in the passing game.

Ryan was never the source of the problem, I just shook my head reading all the ignorant Ryan hated knowing he was going to be just fine once we plugged the holes.

8 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Because we didn't have anybody else last year. We had JJ and Free, that's it. That's the difference, not Kyle.

This is just what ppl fail to realize. Once Hank went down, the only wr that KNEW the system enough to make some route concepts work, there was nobody after him that knew what they were doing. I cannot stress how important this is in the wco. The route concepts are precise and timely. That's why shanny brings in his guys that knew the system. And he still did it with Robinson and Gabriel. The difference is those guys are much faster and athletic than nick williams and can stress the defense more.

Now that Matt is in his second year he KNOWS the system better as well as the wr's. His footwork and mechanics are better and most importantly TIMED with the routes. I hope ppl can finally see what I was debating all offseason. They were making it a Hankerson thing when I was simply saying with him being the only wr besides Julio that could play fast in the system the offense just couldn't maintain and defense could sit on routes. 

I still think people are underestimating Shanahan. I've been around him several times. He's watchful. He doesn't need to hear himself talk. There was a LOT missing last year. No captain of the O line. No 2nd back to speak of. No wr after JJ. Zero speed at te. Incredible lack of ball discipline. Brand new system. That is a huge amount. 

1 hour ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

The dude is a human freak made of all high twitch fibers. I'd say he does a great job rehabbing and mentally preparing. He still cuts and runs just as hard even when he is banged up. I do wish we had some bubble wrap for him though haha

I have no idea how he knows any of the plays. He's lucky to practice 2 days per month.

7 minutes ago, Bring It said:

I have no idea how he knows any of the plays. He's lucky to practice 2 days per month.

7 minutes ago, Bring It said:

That's what the offseason is for. He knows the plays. The only thing practice does is keep timing tight. 

I think we all like what we've seen this year so far. But we'll just have to disagree about what we did last year. They put JJ at risk with a historic number of targets and receptions. I disagree that we didn't spread it around due to not having Sanu and Hooper. You don't need probowlers to spread the ball around. The Saints do it every game and their wr/rb/te are nothing special.

Yes Mack and another year are huge for Matt. But I'm talking about *Shanny's statements* about not being concerned with spreading it around. Didn't like it then and wondering if he's changed now, or just always politicking.

15 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

I think we all like what we've seen this year so far. But we'll just have to disagree about what we did last year. They put JJ at risk with a historic number of targets and receptions. I disagree that we didn't spread it around due to not having Sanu and Hooper. You don't need probowlers to spread the ball around. The Saints do it every game and their wr/rb/te are nothing special.

Yes Mack and another year are huge for Matt. But I'm talking about *Shanny's statements* about not being concerned with spreading it around. Didn't like it then and wondering if he's changed now, or just always politicking.

You don't need pro bowl players but you need players competent to make the system work. After Hank there was nobody that could effectively play fast and timely in the system. Julio's targets went UP because we had nobody else besides Free and Tamme. Jerry Rice didn't have pro bowl wr's everywhere but they could effectively run the offense. If a team is triple teaming Julio but there is nowhere else to throw the ball what's gonna happen? Julio will either be force fed or you have to run the ball. And since you have to force feed Julio you gat predictable and therefore the run game will suffer as well. The difference this year is 

1. Matt has another year in the system 

2. ALL the wr's know the system now whereas what we had last year was Julio 1st year in the system but is just a beast. Hank who knows the system and still played fast. Roddy who didn't grasp the playbook till late in the season but was slow and couldn't get open. Hardy who was adjusting to having a playbook. Hester, who was hurt. Williams, who knows the system but is small and not fast and only plays slot.  Weems who is small and mostly used in slot. 

There just wasnt any options at wr after hank went down. NOW with the emergence of Coleman in the pass game and Hooper to create a duel TE threat and ALL the wr's knowing the system and playing fast we are versatile enough to spread the ball around now. And it's really just that simple. Systems work when the players know what they're doing and can execute efficiently.   

I disagree that Julio, Hank, Tamme, and Freeman is somehow inadequate to spread the ball around with. More to my point is Shanny's statements are polar opposites and the question remains- is he politicking or did he have a change of heart? I know that Ryan and the wr had issues, but that's no justification as an OC to say spreading the ball around isn't important. Its important.

11 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

I disagree that Julio, Hank, Tamme, and Freeman is somehow inadequate to spread the ball around with. More to my point is Shanny's statements are polar opposites and the question remains- is he politicking or did he have a change of heart? I know that Ryan and the wr had issues, but that's no justification as an OC to say spreading the ball around isn't important. Its important.

We are talking about the offense aft Hank went down. When we had Hank he was a good target and our offense thrived.

Once he went down we had Julio, Free  and a medicore Jacob Tamme who was good in open space but useless in red zone. 

We replaced Hank win Sanu, but we also have Hooper, Robinson, Gabreil, and a up and coming star Coleman in the passing game, along with a real center in Mack.