Jump to content

Andre Rison


Falconsfan567
 Share

Recommended Posts

What was the deal with Andre Rison? Can someone a bit older than me explain why the Falcons got rid of him? Was it the same reason we didn't keep Deion? Dude was an incredible receiver. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't he and Chris Hinton part of the trade with the Colts that allowed them to draft Jeff George #1 overall in 1990?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He signed with Cleveland as a free agent in 94,  he left right after girlfriend Lisa ( lefteye) Lopes burned his house down.  He was a great reciever as a Falcon , he played in 4 pro bowls as a Falcon and once with GreenBay.  I remember soon after he arrived the Journal-Constitution had a contest to nickname him , I submitted Rison Shine but didn;t win.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rison left in free agency. I don't think the Falcons tried too hard to keep him or if they even offered him a contract. Rison claims that the Falcons didn't try. I remember when he did a pregame/warmup talk in his first game with Cleveland he said he was glad he got out of Atlanta. Those were some rocky times then, because Jeff George was out, June Jones was a joke of a coach, and there was not a lot to cheer about. Rison did have some solid games with the Falcons, and he was a play maker, but his attitude was really crappy, and he may have been a locker room cancer too.

Edited by 4dabirds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Rison left in free agency. I don't think the Falcons tried too hard to keep him or if they even offered him a contract. Rison claims that the Falcons didn't try. I remember when he did a pregame/warmup talk in his first game with Cleveland he said he was glad he got out of Atlanta. Those were some rocky times then, because Jeff George was out, June Jones was a joke of a coach, and there was not a lot to cheer about. Bison did have some solid games with the Falcons, and he was a play maker, but his attitude was really crappy, and he may have been a locker room cancer too.

All the highlights I've ever seen of the 91 Falcons  (including) the entire playoff win over the Saints, that was such a fun team to watch that year. Chris Miller throwing bombs left and right to Andrew Rison and Michael Haynes.

My early memories of the Falcons are from the Jeff George /June Jones days. Hated Jeff George. I always traded him on video games. Million Dollar arm and ten cent brain. Falcons screwed the Colts once by allowing theme to draft George and then the Colts got revenge on that deal. One of the picks sent to the Colts ended being Marvin Harrison. Falcons coulda, woulda, should a have Bryant Young, Shawn Springs, and Marvin Harrison. But dumb, dumb, dumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rison was the DHall of WR's... boom or bust.  He had plenty of "Boom" for us in his prime years, but the year after Deion left, Primetime punked him and he was never really the same for us after that.  Like someone said, his crazy girlfriend burnt his house down, he signed with Cleveland (no big deal from that; we moved on from him with Terance Mathis, who broke Rison's receiving and receiving TD records for the Birds.  Rison won a Super Bowl with Green Bay after leaving Cleveland, had a few good years with KC and Oakland, and the rest is history...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

All the highlights I've ever seen of the 91 Falcons  (including) the entire playoff win over the Saints, that was such a fun team to watch that year. Chris Miller throwing bombs left and right to Andrew Rison and Michael Haynes.

My early memories of the Falcons are from the Jeff George /June Jones days. Hated Jeff George. I always traded him on video games. Million Dollar arm and ten cent brain. Falcons screwed the Colts once by allowing theme to draft George and then the Colts got revenge on that deal. One of the picks sent to the Colts ended being Marvin Harrison. Falcons coulda, woulda, should a have Bryant Young, Shawn Springs, and Marvin Harrison. But dumb, dumb, dumb.

1991 Falcons were my favourite team ever. Miller to Rison and Haynes and the dbs of Prime and McKyer. Splash in some Jesse Tuggle etc. Loved destroying the saints in the playoffs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still my all time favorite Falcon. Loved the edge he played with.....the slap fight with Deion, not so much though, lol.

Glad to see him get a ring, just wish it wasn't with another team...man, Favre to Rison....what could have been (yes I know Favre would have drowned himself in booze here. Instead he drowned himself in pain killers in GB!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up in Illinois and as a child when I was old enough to really embrace the game, two players sealed my Falcon fate for me.

1.  Deion "Prime Time" Sanders

2.  Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

Still to this day, they are top 3 Falcons all time for me, with Roddy coming in at 3.  They will always have a special place in my heart since they are the 2 reasons why I even knew who the Atlanta Falcons were in the first place lol.  Wish he, like Deion, would have stayed longer but oh well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

Rison was the DHall of WR's... boom or bust.  He had plenty of "Boom" for us in his prime years, but the year after Deion left, Primetime punked him and he was never really the same for us after that.  Like someone said, his crazy girlfriend burnt his house down, he signed with Cleveland (no big deal from that; we moved on from him with Terance Mathis, who broke Rison's receiving and receiving TD records for the Birds.  Rison won a Super Bowl with Green Bay after leaving Cleveland, had a few good years with KC and Oakland, and the rest is history...

Rison also won a Grey Cup in the CFL, and I think he even played in Jacksonville right before he hung it up/got cut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, athell said:

I grew up in Illinois and as a child when I was old enough to really embrace the game, two players sealed my Falcon fate for me.

1.  Deion "Prime Time" Sanders

2.  Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

Still to this day, they are top 3 Falcons all time for me, with Roddy coming in at 3.  They will always have a special place in my heart since they are the 2 reasons why I even knew who the Atlanta Falcons were in the first place lol.  Wish he, like Deion, would have stayed longer but oh well.

heck yeah, the back in black era sealed the deal for me, as gimmicky as it (and Jerry Glanville) were!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, primetime said:

1991 Falcons were my favourite team ever. Miller to Rison and Haynes and the dbs of Prime and McKyer. Splash in some Jesse Tuggle etc. Loved destroying the saints in the playoffs 

That was the team that made me a Falcon fan. Thought  I was getting in on the ground floor. Took a couple of years to realize the elevator was always broken....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BadMoonRising said:

Raiders was his last stay I think.

Yep, looks like the Raiders was his last NFL stop, and he was with the Jags before he went to GB. Here is his Wiki page late career info.

Rison had a very short stint with the Jaguars, and joined the Packers in 1996. He won a Super Bowl ring in his stint with the Packers. He signed with the Chiefs prior to the 1997 season. He made it to the Pro Bowl after a solid first year with the Chiefs. His 2nd season was less successful. In his final NFL season, with the Raiders in 2000, Rison had 41 catches for 606 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Rison finished his NFL career with 743 receptions for 10,205 yards and 84 touchdowns, along with 8 kickoff returns for 150 yards and 9 carries for 23 yards.

He signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League in August 2004, who went on to win the 92nd Grey Cup championship that year. He was released by the team in August 2005.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/09/2016 at 1:56 AM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

That was the team that made me a Falcon fan. Thought  I was getting in on the ground floor. Took a couple of years to realize the elevator was always broken....

Yep me also - was also the final years of the run and shot in the NFL - I think Atlanta and maybe Houston were the last to run it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...