Matt Ryan Plays So Much Better When a TE is Involved

Arkridge

This is pretty easy to see if you ask me. Matt looked awesome against the Raiders save for that redzone turnover but one thing that jumped out to me is how Tamme was involved in the passing game. He's a guy I've never been high on as anything more than a competent guy who can set an example for younger guys in the locker room. I was really happy when we drafted Hooper because he seemed like a much better passing threat in the long run. It was great to get a glimpse of what Hooper is capable of. He showed serious potential as someone who can bust down the seam and overpower guys for reliable gains and redzone dominance. I think he's going to be really good.

The team still has a lot of needs but if we could snag another receiving threat TE in next years draft and run a double TE set similar to what NE was trying to do with Hernandez-Gronk and now Gronk-Bennett, I think it would help out Matt Ryan greatly. Here are some interesting stats about Matt Ryan to his TEs:

Considering how different the offense looked after Tony retired, I would say you are correct.  Also having a reliable run game.  Think about it, we went from Mike Turner and Tony G. both producing at elite levels, to Tony G. gone, fat Mike Turner, then the ghost of Stephen Jackson.

Matt Ryan now has a reliable run game, and what looks like two stable TEs in Tamme and Hooper.  The last time we had this, we made it to the NFCCG!

Remember when Tony G was here and people were saying he was hindering Matt's development?

I was among those so speculating at the time, to be fair.  But still -- it's funny to me how board narratives run.  

That's not to disagree with the point of the thread -- I absolutely think any offense runs better with solid TE play.

I was considering making a post on this actually.  The Falcons absolutely slammed the raiders defense with three tight end sets all game long. They really forced the raiders to adjust their game plan and approach which obviously they never really did. At least successfully.  If Shanny made this decision he deserves a lot of credit.  In fact i considered this game's offensive game plan one of the best I've ever seen from the Falcons. 

Just now, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I was considering making a post on this actually.  The Falcons absolutely slammed the raiders defense with three tight end sets all game long. They really forced the raiders to adjust their game plan and approach which obviously they never really did. At least successfully.  If Shanny made this decision he deserves a lot of credit.  I  fact i considered this game's offensive game plan one of the best I've ever seen from the Falcons. 

Always wondered how lethal this offense would be with two TEs who could catch the football. Sunday against Oakland gave us a glimpse. 

I also attribute the evaporation of Khalil Mack to our use of tight ends. 

This also goes back to what some around here have tried to preach to deaf ears.  The WCO  if used correctly can give the offense a large variety of options when it comes to running different plays and concepts out of almost any personnel grouping used.   Our offense was finding and hitting the Oakland defense where it hurt and forcing them into some very vulnerable situations.   I haven't been so excited,  relieved,  or happy after a week 2 game in maybe a decade.  

If this improvement isn't a mirage and this offense continues to gain traction week by week,  the end game here is absolutely making me giddy. Our offense in a smoothly operating west coast offense with the personnel we have gives us a sky high ceiling. 

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Almost every qb does. 

LOL, yep.

Sure is nice that we may actually have two legit TE's if Hoop keeps developing.  Then you throw in both our RB's who have great hands as well.  

Looking at Free, Coleman, Hooper & Tamme alone makes me happy.  Then I think Lolo, Julio, Sanu, Hardy, Robinson...

My gosh, we can wear out some folks if our D can just make some stops and quite being penalized when it matters most.

Hooper being able to make plays for us is huge.  Like, as huge as getting Mack is for this offense. 

The pessimist in me halfway expects us to not use this gameplan very much, but if our TE's can produce for us with YAC like that even every couple of games, this offense can really soar.  

It's been a long time since we have seen this kind of play from our TE.  Gonzalez never ran much after the catch.  Watching those completions to Tamme and Hooper reminded me of the Brees-Graham connections that would always gash our defense.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Remember when Tony G was here and people were saying he was hindering Matt's development?

I was among those so speculating at the time, to be fair.  But still -- it's funny to me how board narratives run.  

That's not to disagree with the point of the thread -- I absolutely think any offense runs better with solid TE play.

and it looks like we may have more than ONE.....

yall are all correct I give shanny and his staff huge props for how they lined players up. saying that though I dont know if you want to rn that every game but its on tape now so opposing teams have to prep for it

8 minutes ago, big_dog said:

Ryan played his last game like he did most of the season in 2012. If he keeps it up we'll have a decent record this season.

also agree with this if you watched ryan all game he had fire in his belly he needs to bring that every time. def confidence builder. defense needs to burn that game from their mind

33 minutes ago, abstract said:

Hooper being able to make plays for us is huge.  Like, as huge as getting Mack is for this offense. 

The pessimist in me halfway expects us to not use this gameplan very much, but if our TE's can produce for us with YAC like that even every couple of games, this offense can really soar.  

It's been a long time since we have seen this kind of play from our TE.  Gonzalez never ran much after the catch.  Watching those completions to Tamme and Hooper reminded me of the Brees-Graham connections that would always gash our defense.

for the last few years around here, the run after catch by TG was referred to by a lot of us as 'the old man shuffle'

:lol::lol:

nice to see a couple guys out there that can do something after they catch it. I'm also going to go on record as saying, don't discount Toilolo either, I think there will be times he's utilized well. He may very well have been the first read on the Tamme TD, and drew a defensive holding call

levine is one **** of a blocker but being a real threat in the pass game is a pipe dream he is just too stiff, but his toughness is great. dude broke his hand in training camp and still played through most of training camp and the games and those hands are his money makers, in the blocking game of course. A good blocking TE should never be underrated 

13 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

yall are all correct I give shanny and his staff huge props for how they lined players up. saying that though I dont know if you want to rn that every game but its on tape now so opposing teams have to prep for it

also agree with this if you watched ryan all game he had fire in his belly he needs to bring that every time. def confidence builder. defense needs to burn that game from their mind

This is what is perfect about having multiple threats though.  Key on Julio, Sanu and Hardy on the outside?  Fine, we will cram Tamme, Hooper and Toilolo up yer butts all day long.  Want to take away the middle of the field?  That's cool, have fun out on an island against Julio and Sanu!  Want to take away the passing lanes?  Hey, sweet...good idea...by the way there goes Freeman past your dline for a 24 yard TD.

I'm loving the dimensions this offense is building.

3 minutes ago, athell said:

This is what is perfect about having multiple threats though.  Key on Julio, Sanu and Hardy on the outside?  Fine, we will cram Tamme, Hooper and Toilolo up yer butts all day long.  Want to take away the middle of the field?  That's cool, have fun out on an island against Julio and Sanu!  Want to take away the passing lanes?  Hey, sweet...good idea...by the way there goes Freeman past your dline for a 24 yard TD.

I'm loving the dimensions this offense is building.

the only problem with three TE sets is you either lose a RB or a WR. but thats  where I do love coleman he is basically as fast as some wrs and is a deep threat. thats why I said you dont want to use that all game. it worked bc there was constant mis direction about which tes were staying in to block and which one is going out, thats what was so big about hoopers catches

1 hour ago, abstract said:

It's a great sign. I didn't expect him to have the kind of game he did so early, but I'm glad he did. It's a confidence booster and now Matt knows that he has that big play ability. Now that he's come down with a few of those deep balls I think we'll see Matt look his way a bit more often and see him worked into the offense for more and more snaps until he eventually takes over. Very promising game from him.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I think the overarching theme here is that the more (pass catching) weapons an offense has, the easier it will be on a QB. Ryan now has Julio, Sanu, Free, Teco, Tamme, Toilolo, Hooper, Hardy, Robinson, and Gabriel to throw to. Naturally Ryan looks better with all those options.

I think with all of Ryan's numbers that guys keep posting one thing gets lost that's truly remarkable--Ryan was 4 yards shy of 400 yards passing on just 30 attempts (insane YPA and he completed 70%+ passes) and Julio was the only one to eclipse the 100 yard receiving mark, and he did that with only 5 receptions, which is the most anybody caught. All those guys I named earlier caught a pass and got significant yards and/or a score (and people still think Kyle's offense doesn't work). How do you think that makes the next opposing D coordinator feel scheming to that offense?

Edited by JerseyNo12