What Are Your Expectations For Jalen Collins When He Returns?

Arkridge

He's suspended for 4 games I think it was? What are you expecting from him when he comes back? Brian Poole hasn't been playing half bad, obviously Trufant and Alford are going to get the majority but do you think he jumps right into the line up at nickel and eventually makes a push to take over on the outside opposite Trufant? We heard some encouraging things about him but we have no real idea what kind of progression he's made on his rookie season yet.

In my opinion Corner is one of the hardest transitions from college to pros in the NFL and while he left much to be desired in his rookie season I think with a full season and off season under his belt he can push to become a starter by season end. What do you guys think?

word was he was playing well - really we have no idea, but I think as a whole when everyone is back healthy things will be a bit better, middle of the pack at worst, looks like campbell is out for awhile, so might be mid season before we get all the starters back 

3 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

A lot of people are anticipating his return and I am too, but I don't expect much from him. He got extensive time in preseason against 1st-4th stringers and didn't see anything special that jumped out at me. Still looks raw and undisciplined. 

I thought he played well in his pre season snaps. Not hearing his name is a lot more encouraging than hearing his name in association with getting beat down field. If we aren't hearing his name a decent part of that is due to him causing his matchup to be uninvolved in the passing game, imo.

I've been hard on him since he was drafted. He's got athleticism and size but I don't think he has the maturity to be anything other than what he already is. The guy failed multiple drug tests in college and has already failed one in the NFL. A lot of guys can run fast, it takes more than that. It'd be nice to see a decent return on that 2nd rd investment, though, particularly since Alford is probably gone after this year. I'll be happy to eat some crow if I'm wrong about Collins but I think Poole is gonna out play him and I think Goodwin has the same upside without the baggage. 

14 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Within 2-3 weeks he takes over opposite Tru and the PI machine takes over nickle duties.

I think Collins will come out in nickel on the outside and Alf comes out. Poole plays pretty good and he doesn't let wr's get off the line easy. Depending if there is a huge height difference like Evans vs Alf. 

15 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

I've been hard on him since he was drafted. He's got athleticism and size but I don't think he has the maturity to be anything other than what he already is. The guy failed multiple drug tests in college and has already failed one in the NFL. A lot of guys can run fast, it takes more than that. It'd be nice to see a decent return on that 2nd rd investment, though, particularly since Alford is probably gone after this year. I'll be happy to eat some crow if I'm wrong about Collins but I think Poole is gonna out play him and I think Goodwin has the same upside without the baggage. 

Poole plays slot. Collins plays outside. Poole is too short to play on the outside in Quinn's system. Alf is actually too short but he has a 40" vertical. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I think Collins will come out in nickel on the outside and Alf comes out. Poole plays pretty good and he doesn't let wr's get off the line easy. Depending if there is a huge height difference like Evans vs Alf. 

Sounds about right. So, he will be in on a majority of snaps. Still not sure the staff will let a rookie udfa run the nickle over a vet (not sayin i agree, just sayin)

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

I feel pretty strongly that Poole is just the placeholder until Collins returns. Keep in mind Quinn's comments about Poole and what he excels at = zone coverage and making good tackles in run support. Then consider Quinn talked during the offseason and also regarding Campbell about wanting to take a look at more man to man coverage options.

Collins on the outside, with Alford moving to the slot opens up the option to go zone or man to man. Right now, we're pretty much stuck with zone because of Poole's limitations. I do think if that week's gameplan calls for more zone tendencies then we might still see Poole more than Collins; but I won't be at all surprised if Collins comes back and is instantly inserted as the 3rd CB most of the time.

1 hour ago, blackredfellow said:

Not... a whole lot... I forget he's on the team. Keep Poole in I say.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens between him and Goodwin

They say He played good in pre-season and Goodwin has come a long way in his position change --hopefully both can contribute--It will be fun to watch