2 easy fixes, one on off. and one on def.

maxatlanta

We always have stuff to clean up, but I saw 2 things that were basically self inflicted relinquishing of a competitive advantage-

1. The "prevent" defense we ran. It had an obvious vulnerability, they exploited it immediately and we did exactly what the opponent should hope we do... kept running it. We needed to adjust after the 2nd straight pass to the rb for 15 yards (wasn't there 4 straight in all?). Any other defense is better than one PROVEN to be easily beaten with a simple concept.

2. Freeman needs to be our primary redzone back. He is harder to tackle and has better vision than Coleman. Don't read this as who is better than who. Coleman has long speed and big play ability. Its obvious that Freeman's skillset  just matches better in redzone situations. His history of ball protection and as a nice reciever only reinforce that this is a role he will excel at. And all those those TDs last year provide real evidence to back it up.

Why only 2? Lets go with 5.

1. Don't line up offsides

2. Don't have 12 men on the field on a friggin punt return

3. Turn your head when in great coverage

4. Don't push off a WR when you have great coverage

5. Don't hold a RB coming out of the backfield when its 3rd and a mile and he isnt going to get them a first down

31 points in 2 games off 5 ******** mental mistakes when we had a stop.

39 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

We always have stuff to clean up, but I saw 2 things that were basically self inflicted relinquishing of a competitive advantage-

1. The "prevent" defense we ran. It had an obvious vulnerability, they exploited it immediately and we did exactly what the opponent should hope we do... kept running it. We needed to adjust after the 2nd straight pass to the rb for 15 yards (wasn't there 4 straight in all?). Any other defense is better than one PROVEN to be easily beaten with a simple concept.

2. Freeman needs to be our primary redzone back. He is harder to tackle and has better vision than Coleman. Don't read this as who is better than who. Coleman has long speed and big play ability. Its obvious that Freeman's skillset  just matches better in redzone situations. His history of ball protection and as a nice reciever only reinforce that this is a role he will excel at. And all those those TDs last year provide real evidence to back it up.

I'm not a fan of the prevent either, but it did what it was designed to do.  Slow them down.  Look at the drive, Falcons were up 14 points with 4 minutes 35 seconds left.  Oakland scores, but it takes 2 minutes, 23 seconds.  Atlanta takes over with 2 minutes 12 seconds, Oakland gets the ball back with 2 seconds.  The goal was to take time, god forbid they gave up a TD in under a minute.  To me that shows that our coaching staff doesn't trust the defense(rightfully so).

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

5. Don't hold a RB coming out of the backfield when its 3rd and a mile and he isnt going to get them a first down

Amen.

Without stupid 8th grade mental mistakes the Falcons would lead the NFL in most offense categories. 

Easier said than done.........when the whistle blows and real bullets are flying. Let's hope weekly experience cleans up most of it.

29 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Freeman ran hard. He got down to the redzone and needed a break in the 4th quarter. He broke down last year in the stretch. Let's keep them both fresh for a whole season.

Exaclty. Tevin looks like bubbling molten lava just waiting for a volcano explosion. Having him and Free relieving each other is gonna be huge, as long as he keeps the ball in his hands.

1 minute ago, blackredfellow said:

Exaclty. Tevin looks like bubbling molten lava just waiting for a volcano explosion. Having him and Free relieving each other is gonna be huge, as long as he keeps the ball in his hands.

It will happen soon. He's gonna hit that hole and explode for a TD. Also Teco has done a great job holding on to the ball this year. No one is mentioning that.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Coleman scored a red zone TD yesterday, looked like he belonged to me.

Think that Campbell and Neal being out hurt the prevent D.

I expect the D to get better over the season. Would love to see Beasley have a 2 sack day and lots of pressures on Monday night.

That was the best TD of the day for me and basically closed the game down for us.Running inside the red zone it's a must for us to be successful.Personally I don't care who as long as we can run the rock.Also noticed yesterday KS didn't go away from the run.Even though getting stuffed inside the red zone early he stuck with it.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Notice #1,2 & a little with #3/4. Holdover Coaches from the past regime, while Morris was a "D" Coach turned into "O" Coach!