Keep Boy Wonder away from the sidelines

KRUNKuno

I always give credit where it's due.  Boy Wonder did a solid job of keeping the playcalling both balanced and practical.  I saw less cute plays, more runs up the middle, more vertically pressing playcalling, and most of all the allowance of our offense dictating the tempo of the game with more no huddle.  

But what's noticeable to me at this point is that the communication is stronger without Boy Wonder on the sidelines. At one point the broadcast cut to Matt with the receivers and Morris.  They seemed to be discussing what they could exploit on the next series, but there was a level of calm that was nonexistent from the year before when Boy Wonder would be leading the sideline discussions.  

Keep him in the booth and away from the players during games, and this offense stands a chance of prolonged success.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of this...not a Shanny fan, but he certainly faired better today. Watching Matt Ryan work and move guys around just makes me all colors of happy. You know when he starts directing guys around on the field something good happens. It was a blast watching him work and watching this Oline look like a strength today. Matt was well protected, and he looked comfortable finally. Keep it up Shanny, we may just make something of you yet.

9 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

It helped that there was a lot of no huddle today to.  So boy wonder wasn't bogging every drive down with huddle after huddle.  He was letting Matt call plays based on what he was seeing on the field too.

It's amazing how people assume that Matt doesn't still have a speaker in his helmet just because the offense is moving at a faster tempo...

From the moment Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy announced he would hand off play-calling duties, many believed that Aaron Rodgers should just be allowed to call the plays.

After all -- the thinking goes -- Peyton Manning seems to call his own games.

"Well, Peyton doesn't do that," Rodgers recently told ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky. "Nobody does that."

Just now, PK Manley said:

It's amazing how people assume that Matt doesn't still have a speaker in his helmet just because the offense is moving at a faster tempo...

When Peyton was "calling his own games" he was being given three plays every down, two pass plays and a run play usually.  I'm aware Matt isn't running the offense entirely.  

The beauty of the no huddle is that it forces the defense to line up faster and gives Matt more time to do what he is best at, reading the defense to adjust plays at the line.  Hence "calling plays based on what he sees at the line".  

When you huddle up every down it takes more time off the clock and gives the d-line a small breather in between plays.  It takes more time to line up and it bogs the offense down.  

14 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

When Peyton was "calling his own games" he was being given three plays every down, two pass plays and a run play usually.  I'm aware Matt isn't running the offense entirely.  

The beauty of the no huddle is that it forces the defense to line up faster and gives Matt more time to do what he is best at, reading the defense to adjust plays at the line.  Hence "calling plays based on what he sees at the line".  

When you huddle up every down it takes more time off the clock and gives the d-line a small breather in between plays.  It takes more time to line up and it bogs the offense down.  

Yeah, well he could call one of three plays from a huddle just as easily too.  Maybe I jumped the gun on what you were trying to say, but I've seen enough "no huddle = Matt calling the plays" for the last week.  No huddle also often means he's running the play called for him.

I agree with most of this post though.

7 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

Peyton NEVER called his own games. NEVER. He had a few plays he would go to the line with. The genius in Peyton is holding 3 or 4 plays in his head. Like Matt. Also it's getting tiring that ppl keep thinking Matt doesn't read the defense from the huddle. He STILL has to read the defense. This is called pre snap read. The main thing no huddle does is keep the defense from substituting. Huddling also doesn't bog the offense. It rests your defense. Also you can still play slow from no huddle and still run clock. There's a difference in no huddle and hurry up. You can also quick snap. That's a change of tempo. All these false notions of what no huddle is getting outrageous. We kept them from substituting that's about it. When you no huddle on Belichick he calls a time out. There's ways to slow a no huddle too don't get it twisted. 

8 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

It's more about tempo and giving the defenses less opportunity to get their bearings. Less communication on defense, more confusion, more defenders confused on assignments, more gassed defenders.

You can still up the tempo from the huddle as well. We never really ran a true ni huddle. We still ran the clock down when koetter was here. We ran hurry up when the game was on the line. 

18 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Peyton NEVER called his own games. NEVER. He had a few plays he would go to the line with. The genius in Peyton is holding 3 or 4 plays in his head. Like Matt. Also it's getting tiring that ppl keep thinking Matt doesn't read the defense from the huddle. He STILL has to read the defense. This is called pre snap read. The main thing no huddle does is keep the defense from substituting. Huddling also doesn't bog the offense. It rests your defense. Also you can still play slow from no huddle and still run clock. There's a difference in no huddle and hurry up. You can also quick snap. That's a change of tempo. All these false notions of what no huddle is getting outrageous. We kept them from substituting that's about it. When you no huddle on Belichick he calls a time out. There's ways to slow a no huddle too don't get it twisted. 

I put "calling his own games" in quotes to denote that Peyton didn't call his own games.  It's a media myth.  I even said he was given three plays usually, two pass and a run most of the time.  

I also never confused the no huddle with the hurry up.  As Falcons fans we should know the difference by now.  Matt has been doing it since his first season.  

When Matt runs the no huddle the defense gets the same amount of rest, it isn't a factor.  The opposing teams defense gets less rest though, because they have to hurry up and line up again.  There is less chance for a subbing out, and less defensive communication.

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

I always give credit where it's due.  Boy Wonder did a solid job of keeping the playcalling both balanced and practical.  I saw less cute plays, more runs up the middle, more vertically pressing playcalling, and most of all the allowance of our offense dictating the tempo of the game with more no huddle. 

But what's noticeable to me at this point is that the communication is stronger without Boy Wonder on the sidelines. At one point the broadcast cut to Matt with the receivers and Morris.  They seemed to be discussing what they could exploit on the next series, but there was a level of calm that was nonexistent from the year before when Boy Wonder would be leading the sideline discussions.  

Keep him in the booth and away from the players during games, and this offense stands a chance of prolonged success.

OH wow, so what you're saying is that there is a greater comfort level in year 2 of...well...anything? Who would have thunk it. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Waterjabbers said:

It helped that there was a lot of no huddle today to.  So boy wonder wasn't bogging every drive down with huddle after huddle.  He was letting Matt call plays based on what he was seeing on the field too.

As noted by DLED in one of his post-game AJC articles, Matt was still getting the playcalls sent in to him during the no-huddle. So no, Matt wasn't calling the plays on the field. Have to try to find another reason to bash Shanahan, because this isn't one of them.

15 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

OH wow, so what you're saying is that there is a greater comfort level in year 2 of...well...anything? Who would have thunk it. :rolleyes:

As noted by DLED in one of his post-game AJC articles, Matt was still getting the playcalls sent in to him during the no-huddle. So no, Matt wasn't calling the plays on the field. Have to try to find another reason to bash Shanahan, because this isn't one of them.

I addressed this already.  He has more time at the line to read the defense and call anow audible at the line in the no huddle.  His biggest strength is and has been since he came into the league running a no huddle offense and making adjustment at the line of scrimmage based on the look the defense is showing him.

I really feel like people aren't reading my posts and are just knocking down straw men here.  I don't care if my dislike of Kyle Shanahan doesn't jibe with your love of the team.  I still don't like him.  Even still I just gave him a atta-boy for allowing his quarterback to do what he's done best for 9 years.  Lighten up Francis.  The world is better off when people disagree.

Edited by Waterjabbers

11 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I'm sorry, you were saying something about strawmen?

Do you love the team?  Did you not just say I would have to find another way to bash Shanahan? 

Not a strawman.  You took my post as bashing Shanahan and defended him because you either a - love Shanahan or b - love the Falcons.  Being that this is a fan board for the Falcons and you felt the need to defend Shanahan, you arent a rival fan.  So you felt the need to defend Shanahan because you love the team. It is a direct response to your post based on an assumption of your position given all of the available information.  

What you did was to focus on me calling him Boy Wonder and ignored the rest of everything I said, including the two other posts where I explained that Matt was being given plays through his headset and then adjusting at the line.  Ergo strawman.

Edited by Waterjabbers

4 hours ago, Waterjabbers said:

Do you love the team?  Did you not just say I would have to find another way to bash Shanahan? 

Not a strawman.  You took my post as bashing Shanahan and defended him because you either a - love Shanahan or b - love the Falcons.  Being that this is a fan board for the Falcons and you felt the need to defend Shanahan, you arent a rival fan.  So you felt the need to defend Shanahan because you love the team. It is a direct response to your post based on an assumption of your position given all of the available information.  

What you did was to focus on me calling him Boy Wonder and ignored the rest of everything I said, including the two other posts where I explained that Matt was being given plays through his headset and then adjusting at the line.  Ergo strawman.

Dont worry, man.  This is what the loyalists do around here.  If you're not a blind homer they gang up on you and discredit everything you say.

5 hours ago, RandomFan said:

And no, that's not what Im saying at all.  Boy Wonder has always had offenses that rack up a lot of yards.  He's never had top scoring or redzone offenses, and his playcalling has always been questionable....ask any fan of any team he's been a coordinator for.  

Im making the point that communication during games is better because he's not on the sidelines.  It's not about comfort of playbook as it is about comfort of controlling the conversation while in the heat of the battle.

2 minutes ago, falcon_owns_nfc_south said:

Are few members confusing no-huddle? We are running no-huddle or tempo offense to keep the defense on their heel and the play still could be called by Shanny...  no-huddle doesn't mean that Ryan is calling every play.

This has already been discussed.

Reading is fundamental.

The whole key is to keep the defense guessing and reading what they are doing. It doesn't matter whether you huddle or not huddle or semi-huddle, "sugar-huddle", or just speed up the tempo a little.

To me, it seemed like Matt had a perfect feel for the game yesterday, no matter moving quickly or slowing it down and executed the game-plan pretty **** well.

9 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

You can still up the tempo from the huddle as well. We never really ran a true ni huddle. We still ran the clock down when koetter was here. We ran hurry up when the game was on the line. 

You can but when you're not in the huddle and just line up quickly, defenses have less time to think and react.