There are a LOT of reasons this was a statement win that this team can build upon

Yes, Ryan had a few under throws and throws behind the receivers. Yes, the defense let them go right down the field in a crucial series when they ran the same play 4 times in a row. Yes, we had typical "Falcon brain farts" that could've easily cost us the game.

But there were a dozen reasons that this was a "statement" win this team can build upon. And I will list them:

1) The brain farts, Trufant's "celebration" knee injury, Alford's stupid push off in the end zone. And the ridiculous 12th man penalty could've cost us the game. Combined they could've killed us, but ultimately we got away with them. We rose up and overcame these mistakes. Every team makes mistakes. Championship teams win despite them. Hopefully we will play smarter because of them in the future.

2) Despite the total accumulation of rushing yards, the defense mostly held their own against the run. We stuffed them when it mattered. And that's what matters.

3) Despite our miserable pass rush (there's no other way to describe it), it was clear that our pass coverage was VERY solid overall. The reason Carr had to run around so much is because there was nobody open for the most part. 

4) Vic Beasley actually made an impact play against the run. Plain and simple. Thanks Vic.

5) Julio laying into Ryan on the sidelines after another red zone screw up was a GOOD thing. It means this is now becoming Julio's team. Do I need to remind anyone that Julio played at ALA-freaking-BAMA? Y'know. They call them the Crimson Tide. Cause they got a name for the winners in the world. Julio Jones is not accustomed to losing. He studied under the best that college football has to offer. And it is a VERY GOOD thing that he is taking control of this team, and holding people accountable (even Matt Ryan) when they should be held accountable.

6) The play action deep pass to Julio (where he re-injured his ankle) was a thing of beauty. It was like an oasis in a desert...like sex after a 6 month wait. It was long overdue and sweet as sin. I didn't even CARE that he spiked the ball and drew a penalty. It was good to see our best player get fired up and even better to see us take the ball over the top.

7) The Black Hole. Yeah, we were backed up there and HAD to have at least one first down. Lesser Falcon teams would've been punting out of the end zone and shanked it. But we managed to kill some clock and Bosher got the **** thing off under pressure and PUT IT INTO THE END ZONE. That's called rising up to meet the challenge.

8) Tight Ends. We have weapons. They can catch. They can block. No, we no longer have the GOAT. But as a platoon, they can get the job done. 

9) The bounces. Good teams get them. The catch by Hardy was the type of serendipitous piece of luck that can unite a locker room and make players believe. We haven't had that kind of luck recently. And Hardy, despite all the "rah rah" from his draft status, desperately needed a play like that. Vince Lombardi said "you make your breaks", Good bounces are a GOOD SIGN.

10) The receivers. This team does not begin and end with #11. Both Robinson and Gabriel (who???) made key contributions. And Ryan looked like a true veteran in the mode of Brady or Brees in terms of distributing the ball to whoever was open and able to get the needed yardage.

11) Weems. Yeah, I wanted him cut in favor of McKissic and youth. But the kid once again proved his value with another stellar return. 

12) The two point conversion. Simply a great call that fooled everybody. NOBODY is gonna be concerned enough to defend Matt Ryan running the football in the red zone. Kudos to Kyle on that one and kudos to Ryan for running with commitment.

13) Last but not least. The momentum. This was a resurgent Oakland team that we beat ON THE ROAD in a hostile environment when almost NO ONE expected us to do it. We could've easily folded the tent and dropped the next 5 like so many expected. But it's clear that this team still believes in themselves and (at least this once) is able to ignore the distractions and focus on the task at hand. 

OK, I lied. This was 13 reasons we had a signature "build upon" win today.

WAY TO GO FALCONS!!! TODAY, I AM SOOOOOO PROUD TO BE A FAN.

So hey guys, what do you do next week? Guess what??? You get to DO IT AGAIN. Cause that's your job. That's why you get paid the big bucks. Keep making us proud, men. RISE UP FALCONS!!!

Edited by since68andcounting
title

4 minutes ago, xiv_T_E_C_O_ said:

This was a win,.and just that. No statement was made. We won, a much needed win based on our upcoming schedule. There were some nice things we did, as opposed to week one... But we still got away with one.

I disagree. You can call it that if you want. But belief in yourself is everything. This certainly doesn't mean we will run off 3 or 4 straight. But it does mean that WE BELIEVE WE CAN. If we had lost today, it was almost certain this team would go 0-6.

This was a big statement for a team that many had already written off.

10 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

I disagree. You can call it that if you want. But belief in yourself is everything. This certainly doesn't mean we will run off 3 or 4 straight. But it does mean that WE BELIEVE WE CAN. If we had lost today, it was almost certain this team would go 0-6.

This was a big statement for a team that many had already written off.

These staffs get paid to put it into perspective, so win or lose it's not the end of the world, unless it is. The fact is we got lucky, you saw the plays... I'm happy, your happy, but if the ball doesn't bounce our way it could've been a different story.

4 minutes ago, nomak said:

Julio needs to shut up and overcome his lack of being open the majority of the game, the truly great ones do...and his glass frame is getting old.  He needs to understand they can win without him just as easy as with him. 

Y'know I disagree with this as well. There's a difference in being a "diva" and simply wanting stats, and understanding that you can truly help the team win if given more opportunity. I think Julio is very much the latter.

Ryan is not a "chew your *** out" kind of guy. He's much more a rah rah, positive attitude "we'll get 'em next time boys!" type of leader. There's nothing wrong with that if he's true to himself. That's what Quinn is. It's what Pete Carroll is. 

But there comes a time when someone needs to let people know that there may not always be a "next time". You have to make it work NOW. I think a sense of urgency is possibly what we were missing in that 2010-2012 run. And if Julio can provide that in Ryan's twilight years,  it is very much a GOOD thing. "Glass frame" or not I'm willing to bet Julio will be on the field next week and even if at 70% he'll be the best receiver out there. He's that good.

On a related note, did anyone see Julio's interview with Jeff Hullinger last week? Hullinger is kind of an *******. It was almost like he was trying to talk Julio into retiring. But in a weird way, he might have just lit the perfect fire under his a$$.

25 minutes ago, nomak said:

Julio needs to shut up and overcome his lack of being open the majority of the game, the truly great ones do...and his glass frame is getting old.  He needs to understand they can win without him just as easy as with him. 

Dumbest thing I heard on this board.  Julio was the offense last year and this year has been playng is *** off without complaints.  Think we can win without him you must be smoking some good stuff.

34 minutes ago, nomak said:

There's just so much wrong in one post. Honestly I'm kind of impressed at how much wrong you were able to get in there.

14 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Y'know I disagree with this as well. There's a difference in being a "diva" and simply wanting stats, and understanding that you can truly help the team win if given more opportunity. I think Julio is very much the latter.

Ryan is not a "chew your *** out" kind of guy. He's much more a rah rah, positive attitude "we'll get 'em next time boys!" type of leader. There's nothing wrong with that if he's true to himself. That's what Quinn is. It's what Pete Carroll is. 

But there comes a time when someone needs to let people know that there may not always be a "next time". You have to make it work NOW. I think a sense of urgency is possibly what we were missing in that 2010-2012 run. And if Julio can provide that in Ryan's twilight years,  it is very much a GOOD thing. "Glass frame" or not I'm willing to bet Julio will be on the field next week and even if at 70% he'll be the best receiver out there. He's that good.

On a related note, did anyone see Julio's interview with Jeff Hullinger last week? Hullinger is kind of an *******. It was almost like he was trying to talk Julio into retiring. But in a weird way, he might have just lit the perfect fire under his a$$.

Ryan has been known to get in peoples face's on the sideline, and we have no idea what he does in practice. People assume because of his off field demeanor that he's the same way on

the field and its just not so.