Prepare for a nuclear board meltdown if we get run over by the Raiders

Nono

Ok, its raining here in Atlanta, and I do love watching football, only I have a knot in my stomach. It's telling me this might not be our game today and maybe it starts to slip away already. I waited 9 months for this and got a little pumped when the FO and coaching staff announced the 100 days of improvement this summer. Thanks to some interesting topics I made it to the beginning of the Falcon season, only now I got a bad feeling about today.

Edited by Nono

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Psychology.  

Falcon fans have not developed coping mechanisms for perennial losing.  Cities like Cleveland have embraced losing.  Heck, their fans bond is their losing.   Chicago has their lovable Cubs (winning now, but what a history!).  

So, every year, we all have great expectations that our team will outperform projections from the national media.  We expect steak but are served slop.  

I am not saying that we should accept losing.  Far from it.  I am just trying to explain the hyperbole that explodes on these boards after every loss.  

I, for one, expect a championship, but I understand that we are far from the goal.  So, when we lose, my blood pressure goes up for about two hours, then I re-group and start thinking about the next opponent.  I don't need to explode.  Some folk need to explode.  Maybe that is a healthier attitude.  Get it out of their systems and move on.      

Edited by etherdome

12 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Don't you know where you are. There will be a nuclear meltdown if they win by 17. There's always gonna be someone or a group who does nothing but ***** and gripe no matter what. Shanahan can call the best game of his life and his head will still get called for tomorrow morning

yep. even in 2012.

"we aren't getting enough sacks" 

"matt ryan isn't throwing for 4 tds a game"

"we aren't blowing teams out"

etc etc etc

The folks who continue to claim this team is better than they are, that we have to give Shanahan and Quinn time, that Dimitroff hasn't blown it any more than most GMs, etc. will just avoid the board.

If we somehow manage to win I'll be here to eat my crow...however I feel pretty confident that we got o 0-2 and I stand by my statement that this team will likely be 1-5 or 0-6 after six games.  I figure by the time that happens some people will start to come around on the continued failures of the front office.

22 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

The folks who continue to claim this team is better than they are, that we have to give Shanahan and Quinn time, that Dimitroff hasn't blown it any more than most GMs, etc. will just avoid the board.

If we somehow manage to win I'll be here to eat my crow...however I feel pretty confident that we got o 0-2 and I stand by my statement that this team will likely be 1-5 or 0-6 after six games.  I figure by the time that happens some people will start to come around on the continued failures of the front office.

no pointing in watching the next few games then. see ya next year.

49 minutes ago, BZundel said:

People will always try to be the good boys and accept mediocrity because it makes them "true fans." It's whatevs

Whereas other demand ridiculous levels of achievement and excellence, as if their demands and expectation have any impact on what happens of game day and  then arrogantly criticse other as if their constant pessimism somehow makes them "better" fans that others.

Nobody should ever be criticised for being positive about a sports team that they are a fan of. 

27 minutes ago, birdz4i said:

no pointing in watching the next few games then. see ya next year.

Yea, cuz that's how fandom works.  People kill me with the "if you say we're not good then what's the point" argument.  No, we're not good.  Doesn't make me not a fan or doesn't mean I won't be watching.  The logic just isn't sound at all.