Will the OL blossom this year?

After signing an all pro center in Alex Mack, I expected a huge improvement for our O-line this year. Was I being too optimistic? The OL couldn't seem to get the run-game going at all last week against Tampa and the pass protection was pretty shoddy too. The most I can say is that our new center snapped the ball efficiently. Last season marked a huge improvement in our OL's ability to run-block after switching to the ZBS scheme under Shanahan. That needs to carry over to this season, and we need to have a consistent run game and protect Matt Ryan. Last Sunday's performance wasn't inspiring. This is supposed to be the year that this OL finally comes together. This will be Jake Matthews' third season in the NFL, we got Alex Mack and couple other decent players on the line and this is our second season under the WCO and ZBS. We got Freeman to open up the air game for Julio and Julio to open up the ground game for Devonta. If this OL plays up to expectations, then the offense should really be able to get clicking this season. But it's all got to come together... you look at this offense, and you see talent across the board... a solid QB in Matt Ryan, an elite WR in Julio Jones, a talented RB duo in Freeman and Coleman, and what (on paper) should be an average to above average offensive line. (wasn't our OL ranked number 1 last year for a while?) And then you wonder why isn't this an elite offense with all these pieces we have. Something has got to give. 

1 hour ago, nolove4thecrook said:

I need to see marked improvement from the O line this week. Matthews needs to step it up ,and I've been debating weather it was poor o line play or is TB was that good or both. 

Maybe Tampa is actually better than the average homer gives them credit to be

I think they will be fine...Tampa got some talent up front...McCoy is a monster...and I know  lot of posters were saying Ayers is nothing special. .but i disagree. .he's fast and strong and has a quick first step. ..he was giving Matthews fits...and Spence seems to be good against the run....but i think our line will get stronger as the season unfolds...it's already better than what we've had for a long time. .

i didn't like the decision to put Schweitzer on the inactive list last week.

Knowing Tampa has a dangerous front 7, we should have had more options across the OL.

Chester was overwhelmed and we didn't have a backup plan. 

The young guy might have helped.

That's just poor game planning right there.

But, yes, the OL will blossom this year. Gonna take some time. Oh, and Tampa's D is legit.

20 minutes ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

i didn't like the decision to put Schweitzer on the inactive list last week.

Knowing Tampa has a dangerous front 7, we should have had more options across the OL.

Chester was overwhelmed and we didn't have a backup plan. 

The young guy might have helped.

That's just poor game planning right there.

But, yes, the OL will blossom this year. Gonna take some time. Oh, and Tampa's D is legit.

and you think schweitzer would have done any better against mccoy? :huh:

Just now, birdz4i said:

and you think schweitzer would have done any better against mccoy? :huh:

Not sure.

But spelling the old man for a few plays and getting the young guy a couple reps would have been better than watching Chester get thrown around like a rag doll for 60 minutes. As i recall, Schweitzer gave Chester a helluva challenge for that RG spot in camp? 

I just don't think our coaching staff gave that Tampa front 7 enough attention when game planning.

Another clear sign that Quinn and boys don't take our divisional foes as seriously as we fans do.

Our guards are not good in pass protection.  They get blown backward.  Unless that changes, they won't be a really good line, because the interior is the most important.

I think the run blocking will improve, and hope better line calls will help in pass blocking, but Levitre and Chester are weaknesses in holding the pocket against their guys.

9 hours ago, Da Bird is Da Word said:

After signing an all pro center in Alex Mack, I expected a huge improvement for our O-line this year. Was I being too optimistic? The OL couldn't seem to get the run-game going at all last week against Tampa and the pass protection was pretty shoddy too. The most I can say is that our new center snapped the ball efficiently. Last season marked a huge improvement in our OL's ability to run-block after switching to the ZBS scheme under Shanahan. That needs to carry over to this season, and we need to have a consistent run game and protect Matt Ryan. Last Sunday's performance wasn't inspiring. This is supposed to be the year that this OL finally comes together. This will be Jake Matthews' third season in the NFL, we got Alex Mack and couple other decent players on the line and this is our second season under the WCO and ZBS. We got Freeman to open up the air game for Julio and Julio to open up the ground game for Devonta. If this OL plays up to expectations, then the offense should really be able to get clicking this season. But it's all got to come together... you look at this offense, and you see talent across the board... a solid QB in Matt Ryan, an elite WR in Julio Jones, a talented RB duo in Freeman and Coleman, and what (on paper) should be an average to above average offensive line. (wasn't our OL ranked number 1 last year for a while?) And then you wonder why isn't this an elite offense with all these pieces we have. Something has got to give. 

Offenses don't usually get rolling and truly in sync until around week 3/4. Most of the ones putting up numbers are the ones who have been together in the same system for a few years. 

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

We played better against them last season...that has me a bit concerned.  

They are an up and coming team, better in some areas than we are, worse in others....but again, we should not have lost to them at home. Biggest difference IMO was They out coached us on both sides of the ball. 

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, they did.  Also, it was another NFCS loss.  I am not impressed by what Quinn has done against the NFCS so far.  He won't be around too much longer if he doesn't improve upon his 1-6 mark against his own division.  

I love the personnel upgrades in young talent I'm seeing him make defensively, but frankly we've been getting out coached strategically for the last 13-14 games. He's having to learn how to be a head coach same time young team is learning how to play.

Need some vet leadership from our QB.