Raiders v Saints - All22

vel

For you fans who like watching the opponent before the game, a poster on the Raiders' Reddit page posted the All22 for the Raiders v Saints game. Fun to watch and gives you a better grasp of how that game went and what to watch for in this game and how the offense and defense might counter the Raiders. 

First Half Links

https://www.reddit.com/r/oaklandraiders/comments/52or3e/a22_coachs_film_with_radio_call/

Second Half Links

https://www.reddit.com/r/oaklandraiders/comments/53138n/second_half_a22_coachs_film_with_radio_call/

For the culture. RISE UP!

17 minutes ago, FenixFalcon said:

I am pretty sure Oakland nearly beat us the last time we played them. Was a lucky pick that saved us. That was back in 2012 when we were a good team. They have improved dramatically since then and we have fallen off a cliff and are just scratching the surface again.

Not really sure how a game 4 years ago has any bearing on tomorrow.  Both teams have been through a lot of changes. 

2 minutes ago, dmite said:

Not really sure how a game 4 years ago has any bearing on tomorrow.  Both teams have been through a lot of changes. 

2012 wasn't four years ago, that was only last year. Quinn and Kyle have ruined that team...

/casm lol and that's not a shot at you Fenix just joking around

Here is a look at how the Saints managed dealing with Mack and Irvin threatening off the edge:

23le3bm.png

As you can see, the Raiders are showing a 3-4 look. The hardest part about 3-4 looks is you have no clue which OLB is coming. Both Mack and Irvin could blitz and get to Brees. The Saints countered by having 2 TEs on Irvin's side and motioning another player in to chip and slow down Mack. The problem with this is that it only leaves 2 receiving options as real threats, as the other three are clearly in tight with a focus of slowing down the rush before getting out in routes. 

vfh3cn.png

Mack is the one coming, but the Saints were ready for it, with #36 giving Mack a good chip and Armstead neutralizing him from there. Irvin drops into coverage, therefore no real threat off the front side. #82 gets out into his route while #89 chips before leaking out into his route. 

4uwj0x.png

As you can see, Brees had found his target and is locked on and ready to throw. Nobody is threatening to disrupt the pass. Outside of Mack and Irvin, the Raiders are relying on Ward, Ellis, and Williams to get a push, guys who combine for a career 3 sacks. Not at all threatening and this picture shows that. 

243g2f6.png

Here's a shot of the play up top. As you can see, the rush is nowhere near Brees, while the underneath routes have opened a wide whole for Snead to sit down in for a quick 12 yard gain and first down. Neutralize the outside rush, attack the secondary. 

Now this time, the Saints go five wide again, but no help for Irvin, just for Mack. 

20gzl2s.png

They've also got more weapons out this time, resulting in a mismatch of Snead vs Malcolm Smith. This comes down to a simple "my man is better than your man" play. Snead better beat Smith or he's getting benched in my opinion. 

3443ubc.png

Zach Strief is 1v1 with Irvin, while the rest of the line is 4v3. As we see, Brees immediately looks to the Snead vs Smith matchup. (I thought only Kyle made Matt do this?). No point in looking anywhere else. 

sx29za.png

Now this is the problem. Mack is a freak. This is a second later. Mack is in Brees' face. This is the kind of talent Mack is. The problem is it didn't matter. Mack was blocked long enough for another easy pitch and catch with Snead. You can see he's already open with space in front of him. 

Here's a shot from above:

15wgrqb.png

Snead was wide open. 15 yard gain. Easy....when you have time. 

If Armstead had been healthy all offseason/preseason I feel like the Saints would've mostly let him go 1v1 with Mack on the plays where Mack did rush, and just chipped Irvin. Armstead is a monster man, Tyron Smith esque

It'll be interesting to see what we do, given we have one of the top OT tandems in the league. This is certainly a week where I'm thankful for that 

Now let's set some cheese since we clearly can move the ball on this defense through the air. Can't get one dimensional. Need the running game to be a threat, whether it's gashing them or not. 

The Saints tone down the five wide looks and go with 22 personnel, heavy run personnel. 

2dw6ql4.png

Raiders counter with a 4-3 Under look with essentially nine in the box. 

2j2ui4n.png

Easily bottled up right? Good. Except, we know the Saints and if you look at the location on the field, they are in their strike zone. That's a cheese play. Just wait...

The Saints follow up with a standard I-Form look. Run look, tight end to the strong side, right WRs splits. Cheese remember. They just ran it and picked up four. The defense doesn't want that to be a trend and let them get a 3rd & 2.

jjvdcz.png

They counter with a 3-4 look, clearly designed to stop the run. Except...

2qu84ys.png

It's not a run! All three down linemen are engaged with the OL and both Irvin and Mack are getting after Brees. The LBs are focused on the run action, with both WRs by them already. 

Except...

1183kfr.png

It's not even a deep shot! Defense has chased the cheese and have no chance of recovering. The screen is set and the Saints have 3 OL on one defender with nothing but green grass in front. 

15fqc5x.png

That's another look of the green grass. Imagine Tevin with that kind of space. But it was all set up by that boring 4 yard gain the play before. 

Going five wide may not seem like a good idea, but if the Raiders run man coverage against five wide looks, we should be able to take advantage. They ran Cover 1 against five wide looks multiple times. 

2zpmxkp.png

This was one of the early five wide looks. 

2jbwuaw.png

Quick pitch and catch. No way the Raiders should have countered this with a Cover 1. Brees saw it and took the quick first down. 

Welp, the Saints trot out a five wide look again and the Raiders counter with a Cover One defense again. I don't get it. 

2qiclxs.png

You give Brees this easy of a read and he's going to exploit it. Reggie Nelson for some reason lines up between the 40 and the hash at the bottom of the screen, taking himself out of any play to be made at the top of the screen. 

hwibrb.png

Snead runs a sluggo. Smith bites on it because the last 5WR look the Saints just ran, they went with a quick throw. It's all about setting the defense up. 

jb1u2g.png

If he's even, he's leaving. By this point, Smith is trying to recover from biting on the fake slant, Brees has released the ball, and Nelson is trying to bail his man out. 

333lcol.png

Great ball placement. No way Nelson was going to get there. Would not be surprised if we see some 5 WR looks, but it comes down to Matt's willingness, or lack thereof, to attack the defense. The plays will be there. He has to give his WRs a chance to win. 

5 minutes ago, poutlipper said:

On one hand, I don't think our defense is as bad as the Saints, on the other hand, I don't think our offense is as good.

I disagree. Our QB isn't Brees, but he doesn't have to be. We take shouts out of play action looks, but I think Matt will have the same opportunities to make big plays. Especially if they run Cover One against five wide looks repeatedly. 

Julio and Sanu are as capable as Cooks and Snead in my opinion. Hardy is a solid third option and Hooper and Tamme are capable TEs. Throw in what we just saw from Coleman and it's not that far fetched. The only difference is the Saints QB vs the Falcons QB. 

Five wide again...

6ro9kg.png

Ken Norton finally adjusts and switches to Cover Two...

o7vlhy.png

Except it's not. Cover One again. Just disguised...poorly. You can see from the first screenshot it's Cover One, all of the alignments from the defenders tell you that. 

24e7yfp.png

Easy first down to Michael Thomas. Even had the WR open at the bottom. It's amazing. 

I hope we don't run as much 5 WR because I don't think that's Matt's strength. But I wouldn't be surprised if we dust it off. 

Come on. And you wonder why this secondary got lit up. Norton gave them no help. 

5vap8p.png

I mean seriously, Nelson doesn't have that much range. That 98 yarder to Cooks was only a matter of time. This is against four wide. Clearly, their defensive gameplan was to go heavy man, Cover One against the Saints. That makes entirely no sense. The only team that is equipped to do that is the Broncos. Sean Smith is good, but Hayden and Amerson are not good enough to run a heavy man scheme with little/inconsistent safety help. 

wvog8z.png

I mean seriously. Look at the top. Thomas has beaten Smith with ease and no safety help, once again. 

2iw0v87.png

Imagine if that's Julio. Thomas catches the slant and cuts back outside away from Nelson and gets the Saints inside the twenty. Sanu could do that. 

I doubt we get a lot of man. We have scarier weapons. But yeah, if they play us like they played Saints, should be a good day for our offense. Their tackles played a great game against Mack and Irvin though...hopefully Matthews can bounce back after getting beat down by Ayers all day. Mack will make his life worst 

Saints on the fifteen in the redzone. Since I know exactly how you are responding, I go five wide...

2hfutzn.png

What is Ken Norton thinking? At least DQ mixes it up. Norton has run the same coverage all game to this point. And you wonder why the Saints were up 24-10...

What do you think happens? 

s3iyxx.png

6rpxg6.png

6r2agz.png

Six points. Saints go up 17-10. If we are struggling and we don't see a fair amount of 4 and 5 wide looks, then I blame Kyle. It's quite clear how they respond to those looks and we have the WRs to win against that defense. 

Something else...Raiders might've played a sloppier game than us. After watching some tape on them last week, starting to feel confident. This could be a huge confidence booster type game. 

Just really doubt they play Julio like they played Cooks and Snead.

EDIT: Last time someone played Julio like that was Arizona when he cooked Peterson all day. Jack Del Rio ain't dumb enough to think Sean Smith is even as good as diabetic Peterson.  

Edited by Wjcorner

2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

I doubt we get a lot of man. We have scarier weapons. But yeah, if they play us like they played Saints, should be a good day for our offense. Their tackles played a great game against Mack and Irvin though...hopefully Matthews can bounce back after getting beat down by Ayers all day. Mack will make his life worst 

You wouldn't think they would have ran as much man against the Saints as they did. Especially considering it NEVER worked lol. They didn't get a single stop that I remember when they went Cover One against four or five wide looks. 

I do think Jake bounces back though. I think he and Alford bounce back tomorrow. The last time Alford had that type of game (38-0 shellacking against the Panthers) he bounced back. I'm hoping the lackadaisical attitude it seems Jake and Alford had last week is gone and they are a lot more focused. 

2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Something else...Raiders might've played a sloppier game than us. After watching some tape on them last week, starting to feel confident. This could be a huge confidence booster type game. 

Just really doubt they play Julio like they played Cooks and Snead.

EDIT: Last time someone played Julio like that was Arizona when he cooked Peterson all day. Jack Del Rio ain't dumb enough to think Sean Smith is even as good as diabetic Peterson.  

Del Rio might not be, but Norton might be. He clearly thought he had the corners to play heavy man early in this game. Who's played man against the Saints and won that battle? 

If Delvin Breaux didn't break his leg, I think the Saints hold on to win. Once he went down, they killed Williams, Harris, and Crawley. None of those guys are good. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

You wouldn't think they would have ran as much man against the Saints as they did. Especially considering it NEVER worked lol. They didn't get a single stop that I remember when they went Cover One against four or five wide looks. 

I do think Jake bounces back though. I think he and Alford bounce back tomorrow. The last time Alford had that type of game (38-0 shellacking against the Panthers) he bounced back. I'm hoping the lackadaisical attitude it seems Jake and Alford had last week is gone and they are a lot more focused. 

Yeah, there best play in that coverage came on the strip sack...Cooks just ran his post directly into Nelson's coverage and Brees waited for him to clear it. Iunno...i can at least KINDA see why you'd want to man up. You expect Mack and Irvin to eat, Sean Smith to lock up Cooks, and the rest of their receivers to be weak. And we know how hard headed coordinators can be to pre game planning. That's just one thing I see everybody do differently when facing us. They never want to man up on Julio unless it's Peterson, prime Revis, or probably Denver.