Two things about Beasley

The Don™

Two things. Does he have the drive to be great? And can he continue to refine his techniques and play to his strengths?

Instead of focusing on the negatives like some of you like to focus on, let's look at his strengths. The video below at 2:36 where he gets in Brees's face is a perfect example of one of his strengths.

Beasley explodes with a first step with the RT thinking he's going to attack the edge. The RT opens up to compensate for his quickness and speed, Beasley counters with a quick inside step and swim/club move. There is almost no lineman that can defend that without Beasley getting SOME kind of pressure on the QB. Unless the lineman knows exactly what Beasley is going to do.

Also check out 2:59 where he once again uses his first step, this time bends the corner, uses a swim move to bat the hands away and THEN uses a rip move to keep Smith's paws off of him. He did the same thing to Jason Peters in week one vs. the Eagles at 1:56.

And just for good measure. Check out 1:19 for people that keep ragging his spin move. He had the lineman open up, extend prematurely and off balance to effectively execute that spin move. The key to the spin move is have the lineman go one way and you go the other. It takes time to set it up in a game. Freeney has perfected it. Beasley has to be more patient with it, set up the lineman throughout the game, and not coming spinning out the gate.

He flashes his pass rush moves at times (yes, even the spin move). What he's got to do though goes back to a weakness of his. Once a lineman gets his hands on him, he struggles. What he's gotta do since he has an elite first step and quickness is get these lineman off balance like he did in the video. It's really that simple for a guy as athletic as he is. He doesn't need a Freeney-esque spin move. He doesn't need a Reggie White club move. He just needs to be good enough with HIS moves to keep the linemen off balance so he can pressure the QB. He needs to use his burst, quickness, inside counter step, first step, and bend to his advantage. Once he uses those consistently and linemen began to second guess themselves when facing him, the swim, club, rip, spinarooni, and so on will be more effective for him. He's flashed it. He's gotta be more consistent with it now and yes...the sacks will come. He will figure it out with experience. Some of yall need to give him more time. If he sticks to his strengths and the drive to be great is there, the sky is the limit for him.

Edited by The Don™

6 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Two things. Does he have the drive to be great? And can he continue to refine his techniques and play to his strengths?

Instead of focusing on the negatives like some of you like to focus on, let's look at his strengths. The video below at 2:36 where he gets in Brees's face is a perfect example of one of his strengths.

https://youtu.be/OHWYycxF-Kk

Beasley explodes with a first step with the RT thinking he's going to attack the edge. The RT opens up to compensate for his quickness and speed, Beasley counters with a quick inside step and swim/club move. There is almost no lineman that can defend that without Beasley getting SOME kind of pressure on the QB. Unless the lineman knows exactly what Beasley is going to do.

Also check out 2:59 where he once again uses his first step, this time bends the corner, uses a swim move to bat the hands away and THEN uses a rip move to keep Smith's paws off of him. He did the same thing to Jason Peters in week one vs. the Eagles at 1:56.

And just for good measure. Check out 1:19 for people that keep ragging his spin move. He had the lineman open up, extend prematurely and off balance to effectively execute that spin move. The key to the spin move is have the lineman go one way and you go the other. It takes time to set it up in a game. Freeney has perfected it. Beasley has to be more patient with it, set up the lineman throughout the game, and not coming spinning out the gate.

He has an elite first step. He's got the quickness and agility. He flashes his pass rush moves at times (yes, even the spin move). What he's got to do though goes back to a weakness of his. Once a lineman gets his hands on him, he struggles. What he's gotta do since he has an elite first step and quickness is get these lineman off balance like he did in the video. It's really that simple for a guy as athletic as he is. He doesn't need a Freeney-esque spin move. He doesn't need a Reggie White club move. He just needs to be good enough with HIS moves to keep the linemen off balance so he can pressure the QB. He's flashed it. He's gotta be more consistent with it now and yes...the sacks will come. He will figure it out with experience. Some of yall need to give him more time.

Problem is you have three groups of people that don't like Beasley

1. UGA homers that were pissed we didn't take Girlie who was their "Gawja boy" flavor of the year.  Before that it was Aaron Murray, Jarvis Jones, Alex Ogletree etc.

2. Those who wanted Randy Gregory, Shane Ray or Bud Dupree

3. Those who are pissed we didn't trade up to get Khalil Mack the year before or Dante Fowler or Leonard Williams.

They won't give the kid a chance.  Its a waste of time to point out things like you did but I do appreciate it.

19 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

1. UGA homers that were pissed we didn't take Girlie who was their "Gawja boy" flavor of the year.  Before that it was Aaron Murray, Jarvis Jones, Alex Ogletree etc.

3. Those who are pissed we didn't trade up to get Khalil Mack the year before or Dante Fowler or Leonard Williams.

They won't give the kid a chance.  Its a waste of time to point out things like you did but I do appreciate it.

We got who I wanted all along. Like I said "I'll wait 3 years".:tiphat:

If Vic wants to be successful he's going to have to make opponents respect his speed. Once he does that he will have to use his footwork to set up tackles. He has great change of direction but if he's not making tackles respect his speed he will never find the time to use it.

2 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

1: f uga and their Homers 

2: f all 3 of them

3: no lie,  woukd have been nice to have williams or Mack but I'm grown enough to get over that 

This is a big year for Beasley. Players usually experience their biggest improvement from their first to second year. Seeing raw tools with flashes of good play was enough as a rookie. That wont cut it this year. This year we need to see him turn that talent and those flashes into production. He doesn't have to rack up 15 sacks this year, getting 8 or 9 while showing he can be a consistently disruptive force in the backfield would be a great success. 

I was a big fan of drafting Beasley. I'm a UGA homer and love Gurley but spending a top 10 pick on a RB is a luxury we couldn't afford. Pass rush was a bigger need. That being said, he's got to play better than he did Sunday. You can look for bright spots all you want but the bottom line is that his play was unacceptable. If he doesn't step up this year then you have to start considering other options.

2 hours ago, The Don™ said:

He flashes his pass rush moves at times (yes, even the spin move). What he's got to do though goes back to a weakness of his. Once a lineman gets his hands on him, he struggles. What he's gotta do since he has an elite first step and quickness is get these lineman off balance like he did in the video. It's really that simple for a guy as athletic as he is. He doesn't need a Freeney-esque spin move. He doesn't need a Reggie White club move. He just needs to be good enough with HIS moves to keep the linemen off balance so he can pressure the QB. He needs to use his burst, quickness, inside counter step, first step, and bend to his advantage. He's flashed it. He's gotta be more consistent with it now and yes...the sacks will come. He will figure it out with experience. Some of yall need to give him more time. If he sticks to his strengths and the drive to be great is there, the sky is the limit for him.

add in that for all the b!tching and moaning here, he must be doing something right to be getting held as much as he is.

nice to see you posting The Don!

2 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Or those that

knew he beat up on inferior competition 

that his hand usage was a weakness 

that he didn't use leverage when rushing the passer.

That his speed rush would get waged out in the nfl.its ok to expect more out of the 8th pick in the draft.

I am willing to give B some time. I for one thought he did a good job last year with the other players around him. How many sacks did Freeney have Sunday? For all we know the coaching staff had the line more focused on stopping the run this past week. In hopes that the back end could hold its own without a strong pass rush. 

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

add in that for all the b!tching and moaning here, he must be doing something right to be getting held as much as he is.

nice to see you posting The Don!

He'll get there as long as he wants to get there. It'd be a shame for his natural ability to go to waste.

I've been lingering and reading a lot. Guess I gotta come in here sometimes and say what I'm feeling! 

5 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I'm certainly no football coach, but if I had one bit of advice for him, it would go like this.

You know all the technique stuff you have been working so hard on all off season? Yea, turn that channel off during the game. See the ball, tackle the man with the ball as quickly as you can. All the other guys out there are just obstacles.  Focus on the target, not how you are going to defeat the obstacles. Make you only purpose in life to get to that target. You've done your work. You have drilled technique hard. You are prepared. When the game starts, don't focus on technique, focus on the @#$%# target.  Trust the technique to show up, don't make it the goal. 

For the record, I'm not Beasley's biggest fan, but I don't fall into any of those groups. To me, he just looks small and it is hard for me to get over that. 

2 hours ago, atlGM said:

Or those that

That his speed rush would get waged out in the nfl.its ok to expect more out of the 8th pick in the draft.

But Mack didn't beat up on "inferior competition"?

12 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

No doubt jbo.  They have his head so jacked up with mishmash that he's turned into a robot.  

They need to tell him to forget about all that and just go do his thing.  He showed so much promise.

Just watching .. That's what I see ... To me its like a shooter who is missing .. He has to not over think it and continue to shoot .. Just play thru it ... But he is def over thinking bit ..  Its no doubt in my mind about that

3 hours ago, atlGM said:

Or those that

Who did Khalil Mack play for again?  That's right Buffalo! You know they're in that monster conference the MAC. He looked very meh against the one Big 5 team he went against in OSU.

Beasley went against FSU, OSU, UGA, Auburn, UNC South Carolina ( under Spurrier). Yeah a bunch a ******* there. 

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Who did Khalil Mack play for again?  That's right Buffalo! You know they're in that monster conference the MAC. He looked very meh against the one Big 5 team he went against in OSU.

Beasley went against FSU, OSU, UGA, Auburn, UNC South Carolina ( under Spurrier). Yeah a bunch a ******* there. 

2 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

But Mack didn't beat up on "inferior competition"?

The point of my post was to show that there were I fact normal fans who just didn't believe in hype. If you want to dissect one reason why I didn't like a player who isn't good then have at it. I still called it and I don't fit any of those"groups"