Let's Talk About: WCO Pass Protections (Jet and Fox)

Anyone remember the thread I posted a few weeks ago breaking down the red zone playcalling vs. Miami and the odd design?  Well, I'm here to give good ole Kyle some props from a play that really jumped out to me Sunday: the touchdown to Sanu.  It was really brilliant design, and great execution.

11 Personnel.  The 3 receivers are in a bunch formation out wide, with the tight end in-line to block.  If you play Madden, I believe this formation is called Trio, but don't quote me.

0914161816_zpsh4ew6oya.jpg

Now when I saw this look pre-snap, I thought to myself "whoa, Matt's about to get killed".  The linebacker (circled) is coming clean off the edge and I didn't hear Matt change the protection.  But no problem.  The playcall already took care of the linebacker, and that's the part I want to get to... in a minute.

First take a look at the design of the play.  Julio runs the shallow drag.  Hardy on that whip/zig.  Sanu takes it right up the seam to the back of the end zone.

0914161817_zpstcbvp1ul.jpg

Now pass protection is an abyss.  The more you dig into it the more endless variations you can come up with.  Just to keep this simple we'll look at the two popular WCO variations.

Jet Protection is probably the most popular.  It's a six man protection that can slide weak or strong  2 Jet Protection, or 3 Jet Protection... the numbers basically just tell the line which way to slide.  Off of this the running back takes the uncounted linebacker.  He can also 'Alert" and/or check release into the pattern, but once again, that's getting into the abyss.

Fox Protection is the next variation.  That's a 7 man protection where both backs stay in to block, or in this case, the back and the tight end stay in.  That is what the Falcons are in on this play.

If you've ever opened a West Coast playbook you'll see a lot of colors and words like "Jet" something or "Fox" this or that.  Very confusing, but if you're ever sitting around watching Sound Fx and you hear a play like Brown Right 2 Jet Flanker Drive... you know what the protection is.  Got it?  Cool.

Brown = formation

Jet = protection

Flanker Drive = pass concept

Now here is the play in action.  As I thought, the linebacker comes clean.  The line slides down to block and we get a look at that Fox 2 Protection.

0914161817a_zpsmntuiavl.jpg

Now this isn't the best block I have ever seen Devonte Freeman make, but it did the job and was the key to the play.  I jumped out of my seat when I saw this.  This is football.  These are the plays within the plays that go unnoticed that I just love.

0914161818_zps40tt4nut.jpg

By the time Lavonte David is anywhere close, the ball is gone...

0914161818a_zps37mqjlov.jpg

And of course the touchdown.  Good ball placement to put it up there for Sanu to use that big body and go get it.

0914161819_zpssdkp428z.jpg

Losing sucks, but there is a silver lining in every game.  It wasn't good enough last Sunday, but there were a lot of good things that happened.  The Falcons played the "game within the game" well.  Plays like this, as well as a few others I don't have the energy to get into tell me that the coaching staff knows what they are doing.  Kyle is not a slobbering mongoloid.  He knows what he is doing.  The key from here on out will be if the staff can get this team to play a clean game.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

Man this is awesome dude! I don't get upset often at all but I'm not perfect. Two things that grind my gears are acting like you know football or spewing out info without admittance of not knowing football.

I'll tell you clear as day that this deep understanding of football I do not have and the more you post, the more I learn. Much appreciation to you!

Great break down PMF! I owe you a defensive break down. Seeing all of this crap about the WCO being a terrible scheme just grinded my gears and made me lose focus. 

I agree though. Plays like Freeman's block are missed by the casual fan who is just watching the overall play, not what's going within the play. Had Freeman missed his block and Ryan got sacked, they are pissed at Kyle for an "obviously terrible playcall". 

Good play call, good route and use of leverage, and good throw. Great break down!

59 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Man this is awesome dude! I don't get upset often at all but I'm not perfect. Two things that grind my gears are acting like you know football or spewing out info without admittance of not knowing football.

I'll tell you clear as day that this deep understanding of football I do not have and the more you post, the more I learn. Much appreciation to you!

Your post instantly made me think of quote in vel's thread.

'teach what you know, listen to what you don't, and let enlightenment happen when the two collide,'" 

Glad there's an appetite for this kind of stuff.  The game really does take on a different complexion when you stop focusing on the ball and pay attention to some of the other battles taking place.

1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

ditto  

another great thread PMF! thank you sir for putting it in simple enough terms for us simpletons to understand

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I'm gonna try, my man.  This board can make it hard sometimes, but me and vel are gonna try to keep some kind of balance

Please do. There's like 8 or 9 of y'all who keep this board tolerable. Everyone comes here for different reasons but y'all 8 or 9 are one of my favorite reasons. Well that and cracking bad jokes.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Anyone remember the thread I posted a few weeks ago breaking down the red zone playcalling vs. Miami and the odd design?  Well, I'm here to give good ole Kyle some props from a play that really jumped out to me Sunday: the touchdown to Sanu.  It was really brilliant design, and great execution.

11 Personnel.  The 3 receivers are in a bunch formation out wide, with the tight end in-line to block.  If you play Madden, I believe this formation is called Trio, but don't quote me.

0914161816_zpsh4ew6oya.jpg

Now when I saw this look pre-snap, I thought to myself "whoa, Matt's about to get killed".  The linebacker (circled) is coming clean off the edge and I didn't hear Matt change the protection.  But no problem.  The playcall already took care of the linebacker, and that's the part I want to get to... in a minute.

First take a look at the design of the play.  Julio runs the shallow drag.  Hardy on that whip/zig.  Sanu takes it right up the seam to the back of the end zone.

0914161817_zpstcbvp1ul.jpg

Now pass protection is an abyss.  The more you dig into it the more endless variations you can come up with.  Just to keep this simple we'll look at the two popular WCO variations.

Jet Protection is probably the most popular.  It's a six man protection that can slide weak or strong  2 Jet Protection, or 3 Jet Protection... the numbers basically just tell the line which way to slide.  Off of this the running back takes the uncounted linebacker.  He can also 'Alert" and/or check release into the pattern, but once again, that's getting into the abyss.

Fox Protection is the next variation.  That's a 7 man protection where both backs stay in to block, or in this case, the back and the tight end stay in.  That is what the Falcons are in on this play.

If you've ever opened a West Coast playbook you'll see a lot of colors and words like "Jet" something or "Fox" this or that.  Very confusing, but if you're ever sitting around watching Sound Fx and you hear a play like Brown Right 2 Jet Flanker Drive... you know what the protection is.  Got it?  Cool.

Brown = formation

Jet = protection

Flanker Drive = pass concept

Now here is the play in action.  As I thought, the linebacker comes clean.  The line slides down to block and we get a look at that Fox 2 Protection.

0914161817a_zpsmntuiavl.jpg

Now this isn't the best block I have ever seen Devonte Freeman make, but it did the job and was the key to the play.  I jumped out of my seat when I saw this.  This is football.  These are the plays within the plays that go unnoticed that I just love.

0914161818_zps40tt4nut.jpg

By the time Lavonte David is anywhere close, the ball is gone...

0914161818a_zps37mqjlov.jpg

And of course the touchdown.  Good ball placement to put it up there for Sanu to use that big body and go get it.

0914161819_zpssdkp428z.jpg

Losing sucks, but there is a silver lining in every game.  It wasn't good enough last Sunday, but there were a lot of good things that happened.  The Falcons played the "game within the game" well.  Plays like this, as well as a few others I don't have the energy to get into tell me that the coaching staff knows what they are doing.  Kyle is not a slobbering mongoloid.  He knows what he is doing.  The key from here on out will be if the staff can get this team to play a clean game.

Stop getting all the got **** up votes!!!

it is really frustrating when I'm trying to explain the importance of a running back or WR who can block. This falls on deaf ears around here.

One thing I love about Sanu is he is a willing and good blocker.

Thanks for breaking that play down becuase it allows many to visually see the importance of a good blocker.