Quinn says no-huddle offense doesn’t fit Falcons style

Bawse

1 minute ago, JerseyNo12 said:

And this is another example of someone trying to spin a narrative to fit their agenda of hating on Shanahan.

Other than Chip Kelly, I doubt there is any coach in the NFL that likes running the no-huddle for an extended period of time. Keeping the same personnel on the field during an entire drive is physically taxing on the players (except maybe the QB), and it's just not feasible to keep doing that for an entire game. If you have to keep running a no-huddle then it probably means your team wasn't all that good to begin with and you have to rely on gimmicks to stay competitive. But as we saw with Chip Kelly, it eventually runs its course and defenses will figure it out.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Like I said. As a player I hated it. I was defense but you never got a break, then the offense was tired. Made it hard to get into a game.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

And this is another example of someone trying to spin a narrative to fit their agenda of hating on Shanahan.

Other than Chip Kelly, I doubt there is any coach in the NFL that likes running the no-huddle for an extended period of time. Keeping the same personnel on the field during an entire drive is physically taxing on the players (except maybe the QB), and it's just not feasible to keep doing that for an entire game. If you have to keep running a no-huddle then it probably means your team wasn't all that good to begin with and you have to rely on gimmicks to stay competitive. But as we saw with Chip Kelly, it eventually runs its course and defenses will figure it out.

First of all, I think a lot of proponents of using the no huddle more aren't saying we should run it as much as Chip Kelly. There's a big difference between running the no huddle once a game as a change of pace and using it as a legitimate component of your offense. 

Next, relying more on the no huddle doesn't mean you've got a bad team. IIRC, the Broncos ran the no huddle a lot last year with Peyton and it worked out okay for them. The Patriots incorporate the no huddle a good bit too.

The no huddle needs to be something we see more. We don't have to run it 60% of the time like Chip Kelley but we need to use if more than as a novelty. Ryan runs it extremely well. Use it as a weapon, not as a change of pace.

20 hours ago, Bawse said:

Quinn says no-huddle offense doesn’t fit Kyle Shanahan's style 

Fixed.

For me anyway the thread title was misleading. We have all seen Matt & the Falcons O successfully run the no-huddle & uptempo offense very effectively during specific points in their games for several seasons now.

Pick your spots & strike with it. Don't run it out of spite, like Kyle did with Roddy's 3 (catches) & out game last year.

20 minutes ago, Striker42 said:

First of all, I think a lot of proponents of using the no huddle more aren't saying we should run it as much as Chip Kelly. There's a big difference between running the no huddle once a game as a change of pace and using it as a legitimate component of your offense. 

Next, relying more on the no huddle doesn't mean you've got a bad team. IIRC, the Broncos ran the no huddle a lot last year with Peyton and it worked out okay for them. The Patriots incorporate the no huddle a good bit too.

The no huddle needs to be something we see more. We don't have to run it 60% of the time like Chip Kelley but we need to use if more than as a novelty. Ryan runs it extremely well. Use it as a weapon, not as a change of pace.

You mostly see Ryan use a no-huddle in a hurry up offense when they're trying to quickly put points on the board. Like I said, not feasible to do over an entire game. As for the Broncos, I seriously doubt they used a lot of no-huddle last year and even if they did, it's because Peyton was otherwise turning the ball over and they had to speed things up. The Patriots incorporate the no-huddle exactly the way you're suggesting we shouldn't use it, as a change of pace. They'll play at normal speed, see what's working, and then use a no-huddle to quickly run the same or similar play. Brady will quickly go into a no huddle if he identifies a weakness in the defense (like Gronk 1-on-1 with, well, anybody on the outside) and try to exploit it before the opposing team calls a timeout or gets set. Again, change of pace. It's situational football man.

Changes in tempo is what throws off defenses. If you go from slow to fast all of a sudden, that's what throws a defender off. It's like Kyrie Irving slowing down, catching a defender flat-footed, and then accelerates and blows right past him for the basket. It's the same principle. You can't just go fast all the time or too much or the defense will get accustomed to it. Even defenses have a way of slowing offenses down and taking them out of rhythm.

Edited by JerseyNo12

36 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

You mostly see Ryan use a no-huddle in a hurry up offense when they're trying to quickly put points on the board. Like I said, not feasible to do over an entire game. As for the Broncos, I seriously doubt they used a lot of no-huddle last year and even if they did, it's because Peyton was otherwise turning the ball over and they had to speed things up. The Patriots incorporate the no-huddle exactly the way you're suggesting we shouldn't use it, as a change of pace. They'll play at normal speed, see what's working, and then use a no-huddle to quickly run the same or similar play. Brady will quickly go into a no huddle if he identifies a weakness in the defense (like Gronk 1-on-1 with, well, anybody on the outside) and try to exploit it before the opposing team calls a timeout. Again, change of pace. It's situational football man.

Changes in tempo is what throws off defenses. If you go from slow to fast all of a sudden, that's what throws a defender off. It's like Kyrie Irving slowing down, catching a defender flat-footed, and then accelerates and blows right past him for the basket. It's the same principle. You can't just go fast all the time or too much or the defense will get accustomed to it. Even defenses have a way of slowing offenses down and taking them out of rhythm.

Peyton ran the no huddle a lot in his career. Not sure any QB has ever been better calling plays at the line.

The Pats use the no huddle as a weapon, not a change of pace. As you say, they'll use it when they identify a weakness and then chew up the field lightning fast. But in the end it's a legitimate weapon for them.

Quinn was dismissive of the no huddle. When he said they're using as a change of pace I'm thinking he he meant they're going to use it like they did last week. Just pull it out for a drive every now and again to showcase it. 

All I'm saying is that I'd like to see the team consider using something our QB is so good at running as more than just a novelty. 

I haven't read through every post to this thread but there are two types of no huddle the Falcons run...there is "hurry up" no huddle offense and there is no huddle that lets Matt decipher the defense at the line and then audible a play based on what he is observing.  I think the latter is what we would like to see more of...and that all comes down to what will make Matty more comfortable in the play calling as opposed to do whatever Shanahan calls in from the sidelines that you are stuck with as we don't see Matt audible out of Shanny's plays very often.

So when these press conferences are going on, the question for Coach Quinn should not be a generic why don't we run more no huddle as that allows him to give an answer to the "hurry up" aspect and it not being a fit for our scheme.  Put him on the spot and ask why aren't we running more plays that lets Matt read the D and call the play more often?  We have seen years of success with that and Matt then has the option to milk the clock or quick snap it and really keep the D off balance.

18 minutes ago, LastFalconFan said:

I haven't read through every post to this thread but there are two types of no huddle the Falcons run...there is "hurry up" no huddle offense and there is no huddle that lets Matt decipher the defense at the line and then audible a play based on what he is observing.  I think the latter is what we would like to see more of...and that all comes down to what will make Matty more comfortable in the play calling as opposed to do whatever Shanahan calls in from the sidelines that you are stuck with as we don't see Matt audible out of Shanny's plays very often.

So when these press conferences are going on, the question for Coach Quinn should not be a generic why don't we run more no huddle as that allows him to give an answer to the "hurry up" aspect and it not being a fit for our scheme.  Put him on the spot and ask why aren't we running more plays that lets Matt read the D and call the play more often?  We have seen years of success with that and Matt then has the option to milk the clock or quick snap it and really keep the D off balance.

Good points. Didn't look at it that way.

18 hours ago, hjerry said:

It's amazing how quickly this article/thread title was debunked. In only the second sentence, the title was revealed to be (very poor) click bait.

The key word here, is that last word of that second sentence. Anyone and everyone ranting about the concept that the title suggests, needs to go and read that last word...over...and over...and over again. 

Do it until your eyes bleed. Then maybe you'll get it.

1 hour ago, LastFalconFan said:

He answered that question as well tho. He said they like to use a lot of shifts to confuse the defense and/or show their hand and when you no huddle or hurry up you kinda take that aspect away. Just sounds like they'd rather use shifts to get mismatches. And Matt reads the defense whether it's out of the huddle, no huddle, or hurry up. He's never NOT reading the defense per snap. Biggest misconception about Matt all of a sudden. 

6 hours ago, knomercy said:

Are you illiterate? 

good grief dude, you're picking one of THE top 5 posters on this board to ask that? showing your ignorance a lil further with that statement for sure

Knight of God is one of the most knowledgeable posters here, and one of the most liked. You certainly won't be well thought of for this, that's for sure. Probably be put in that, 'oh yeah, totally disregard this guys posts and threads, he's proved what he really is'

look at the top right hand side of the screen, the 'most popular posters this week' column, KOG is almost always listed over there, for more than obvious reasons. Because he's well respected, knows what he's talking about and well liked around here. But you just keep on asking him if he's illiterate, the rest of us will just keep on smiling and knowing what you really are

6 hours ago, knomercy said:

This is stupid af. So if 32 teams field 32 offenses per year, you're saying out of those 640 offenses fielded in the past 20 years only 5 were feared or game-planned around?

Sure thing.

"Teams don't fear Matt Ryan"

Professional athletes don't "fear" anyone. Feel free to ask them.

Congratulations. The award for completely oversimplification of a post to fit one's narrow minded viewpoint goes to you. Funny how others read my post and were able to completely understand my point and you didn't. You must have failed reading class as a child.

47 minutes ago, hjerry said:

F*ck you and the asswipe who liked your post.

that has to be a swift ALT, 

and to prove him wrong, he should just look at the top right of the screen where the 'most popular posters of the week' are listed. certainly seem to be 'literally' a few hundred people to prove him wrong up there, doesn't there?  :tiphat:

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

good grief dude, you're picking one of THE top 5 posters on this board to ask that? showing your ignorance a lil further with that statement for sure

Knight of God is one of the most knowledgeable posters here, and one of the most liked. You certainly won't be well thought of for this, that's for sure. Probably be put in that, 'oh yeah, totally disregard this guys posts and threads, he's proved what he really is'

look at the top right hand side of the screen, the 'most popular posters this week' column, KOG is almost always listed over there, for more than obvious reasons. Because he's well respected, knows what he's talking about and well liked around here. But you just keep on asking him if he's illiterate, the rest of us will just keep on smiling and knowing what you really are

Its cool bro. I'm starting to think one guy is using a bunch of alts. I'm starting to notice a trend. This is the right venue for that, I would hope this guy would have the common sense not to talk to people like that in person.

3 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Shanny hate is rotting out some folks brains.

36 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Its cool bro. I'm still going to give my anecdotes and stories. You know what tho, this is the place for folks like that. They know they would never get away with talking to folks like that in person, so the internet is safe to be a jerk.

Honestly, posts like that would be inappropriate if it was a rookie poster being responded to. 

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

and to prove him wrong, he should just look at the top right of the screen where the 'most popular posters of the week' are listed. certainly seem to be 'literally' a few hundred people to prove him wrong up there, doesn't there?  :tiphat:

Funny thing about it? Swift and I are friends...lol. Been cool since way back on the boards. If swift were to come at me like that, I would be VERY surprised man.

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

Its cool bro. I'm starting to think one guy is using a bunch of alts. I'm starting to notice a trend. This is the right venue for that, I would hope this guy would have the common sense not to talk to people like that in person.

I think so too. The posting styles are just too similar to ignore.

3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

yeah I'd bet the farm it's the same guy, perhaps we need @Atlfanstckndenver, or one of the other mods to check them out. 

but you're my guy, hate to see you get attacked by morons suffering from online schizophrenia, LOL

3 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I doubt that's who it is, waaaay to blunt.