The Slot Dilemma

stizz

We have gotten very, very little from our WR3 position between this year and last. I'm a ECU grad and a fan of Hardy, but Gabriel looks to be the guy who Shanny wants to bring more dynamics to the offense.

Nothing to be upset about, as the players bring different skillsets, and Gabriel may just be a fit. Hardy, while he does have great hands, doesn't seem to have the speed to beat nickel CBs in anything other than a short slant or crossing route, which even then is predicated on timing and having a good accurate QB to deliver the ball to him. 

I'm excited to see what Gabriel can bring and to break up the constant looks Matt gives to Julio or Tamme.

1 minute ago, stizz said:

We have gotten very, very little from our WR3 position between this year and last. I'm a ECU grad and a fan of Hardy, but Gabriel looks to be the guy who Shanny wants to bring more dynamics to the offense.

Nothing to be upset about, as the players bring different skillsets, and Gabriel may just be a fit. Hardy, while he does have great hands, doesn't seem to have the speed to beat nickel CBs in anything other than a short slant or crossing route, which even then is predicated on timing and having a good accurate QB to deliver the ball to him. 

I'm excited to see what Gabriel can bring and to break up the constant looks Matt gives to Julio or Tamme.

That's usually what the slot works tho. He works the short and intermediate areas. The 4th wr is that field stretcher. Robinson. Hardy is the 3rd down guy. Last year he spent 3 qtrs if the year getting used to a playbook. This year he's already being involved in the offense. After 1 game I don't think we should be concerned about him. The more stress Julio and Sanu put on defeated the more opportunities he will get. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

That's usually what the slot works tho. He works the short and intermediate areas. The 4th wr is that field stretcher. Robinson. Hardy is the 3rd down guy. Last year he spent 3 qtrs if the year getting used to a playbook. This year he's already being involved in the offense. After 1 game I don't think we should be concerned about him. The more stress Julio and Sanu put on defeated the more opportunities he will get. 

Thing is, when he did finally get up to speed, dude was only catching 1 or 2 passes a game. Compare that to what Harry did. HD was running more than just slants. I understand they're under two different playbooks,  but HD found ways to get open. Hardy is blanketed in most film I've seen.

Again, I want it to work out for Hardy here, but I understand it is a results league and there's a reason Gabriel was claimed.

22 minutes ago, stizz said:

Thing is, when he did finally get up to speed, dude was only catching 1 or 2 passes a game. Compare that to what Harry did. HD was running more than just slants. I understand they're under two different playbooks,  but HD found ways to get open. Hardy is blanketed in most film I've seen.

Again, I want it to work out for Hardy here, but I understand it is a results league and there's a reason Gabriel was claimed.

Yea that's true but the systems are a reason for that. By the end of the year Hardy will have an HD type year. Think about HD's production tho. He was behind the 3 headed monster and only jumped in production when Julio or Roddy was hurt. In his usual role his production was on par with what Hardy did last year.