How can a team suck on defense for 8 solid years?

Miller2Rison

We have had a terrible defense the entire Matt Ryan era. We showed flashes in the secondary some early, Mike Smith masked a bad defense by ball control,Nolan masked it with crazy formations, no pass rush ever other than Abe. I don't get, third DC and second HC and still the same problems on defense year after year. I just don't understand, it cant be coaching every year we have been through 3 DCs and 2 HCs, it cant be lack of talent every single year...can it? How cab u be bottom D....with it being pass rush...for 8 solid years?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jesus said:

Defensive head coaches?

I don't know its too early this year to say otherwise. Game one is not a good determiner...Lets see in 3-4 weeks how they look.

that's all we can do and I'm not discrediting Winston or the Bucs but we gotta make a statement on D, I feel like our Defense lacks heart.

11 minutes ago, nomak said:

Trading the farm for a glass WR didn't help.  Two words you will always hear before someone compliments Julio..."when healthy"  And I'll leave it at that. 

5 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Using high picks on Jamaal Anderson, Peria Jerry, Sean Weatherspoon, Rashede Hageman, Vic Beasley, and Jalen Collins. 

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

troffed.

Between these three 3 responses, I think we have a pretty solid reason why.  Add in bringing in guys like Ray Edwards and Bingo. 

29 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

We have had a terrible defense the entire Matt Ryan era. We showed flashes in the secondary some early, Mike Smith masked a bad defense by ball control,Nolan masked it with crazy formations, no pass rush ever other than Abe. I don't get, third DC and second HC and still the same problems on defense year after year. I just don't understand, it cant be coaching every year we have been through 3 DCs and 2 HCs, it cant be lack of talent every single year...can it? How cab u be bottom D....with it being pass rush...for 8 solid years?

When you give up 4 picks for a wr one year then give up a 3rd to move up for a corner. You pick a first round bust in Persia jerry, a close too bust in weather spoon, and what may end up a bust in Vic Beasley.  Add that with the lack of fa acquisitions worth having you get a defense that sucks for 8 years. 

33 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

You have an owner that believes he's the most important person to have info on the team, he surrounds himself with YES MEN/WOMEN and won't hire a head coach that doesn't agree to report directly to him. Same with your GM.

You all need a new coaching staff, a new GM, a GM that doesn't have a half dozen assistants all reporting directly to Blank.

Blank hires a gm and head coach, then steps away and lets them be football people. Does the fact that he fired by FAR the best head coach in Falcons history, then told arguably the best GM you all have ever had to find dirt give you all any pause at all?

THIS is your biggest issue, and it'll never be resolved until Blank backs off plus makes better decisions in his hirings. It seem he's far more interested in hiring a GM and HC that will work UNDER him, rather then have complete autonomy in their managing the staff and talent.

9 minutes ago, jb 3.0 said:

You have an owner that believes he's the most important person to have info on the team, he surrounds himself with YES MEN/WOMEN and won't hire a head coach that doesn't agree to report directly to him. Same with your GM.

You all need a new coaching staff, a new GM, a GM that doesn't have a half dozen assistants all reporting directly to Blank.

New Coach- just got here but all signs now point to this being true

New Gm- yes, we needed this years ago. 

Blank- you might be on to something

12 minutes ago, jb 3.0 said:

Blank hires a gm and head coach, then steps away and lets them be football people. Does the fact that he fired by FAR the best head coach in Falcons history, then told arguably the best GM you all have ever had to find dirt give you all any pause at all?

THIS is your biggest issue, and it'll never be resolved until Blank backs off plus makes better decisions in his hirings. It seem he's far more interested in hiring a GM and HC that will work UNDER him, rather then have complete autonomy in their managing the staff and talent.

I hope our new GM spends tremendous draft capital on a kicker.