Ray of sunshine this morning

StockSpyder

Amidst all the negativity today, thought I'd share this article which made me smile: 

The Saints' Future Is Almost Here, And It's Bleak

http://deadspin.com/the-saints-future-is-almost-here-and-its-bleak-1786616482?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Let me just say

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here's a cut / paste :

The only reason the Saints cut C.J. Spiller yesterday and not before the season was because they literally could not afford to release him. A solid example of this franchise’s failed acquisitions and questionable salary cap tactics, Spiller’s contract now heads to the expensive graveyard of botched Saints moves, and their ghosts are going to haunt this team for a while to come.

The Saints have been in salary cap **** for a while, but I hadn’t realized quite how bad it had gotten. Spiller had no place in New Orleans—his first season had been shortened by injury, and even when he was healthy and Mark Ingram went down, he never quite earned the trust of Sean Payton enough to see significant action. The Saints tried to trade him in camp, and, finding no takers, listed him sixth on a six-man RB depth chart and as a healthy inactive for Week 1. Spiller was doomed, but the Saints were so tight up against the cap, they couldn’t physically take on his dead cap money this year and next, not until they reworked Drew Brees’s contractto free up some space.

The Spiller signing was another disaster for this front office. He earned a guaranteed $9 million for just 70 touches, and his cap hit remains on the books: $4.5 million this season, $2.5 million next. It’s part of a pattern.

The Saints top the league—by far—in “dead money,” the amount of cap space taken up by players who aren’t on this team any more. ESPN’s Mike Triplett wades through the muck:

The Saints lead the NFL this year with more than $40 million in dead money, which is more than 25 percent of their cap.

Let that soak in for a minute: One-fourth of their salary cap is being spent on players who don’t play for them.

The list includes Spiller, Junior Galette, Brandon Browner and Keenan Lewis, among many others. It also includes Jahri Evans’ old contract.

Lewis, Spiller, and Browner all will have cap hits into next season, meaning the Saints are already starting 2017 at a disadvantage.

This is business as usual around here: A series of poor signings, which is understandable, and short-sighted cap management, which is less so. For years now, the Saints’ have been in win-now mode, spending every possible dollar each season as long as Drew Brees remains effective. That’s a defensible strategy—QBs like Brees don’t come along often—but there is going to be **** to pay.

To remain competitive, the Saints are constantly getting creative with contracts to free up immediate cap space, at the expense of putting off the piper. This too is a legitimate strategy—the Patriots are masters of it, tweaking Tom Brady’s contract every couple of years. But the Patriots are winning. The Saints are pairing short-sighted cap management with a low hit rate on their signings. There is nothing good happening here.

The 2016 Saints season was one that began with a handicap thanks to previous contract trickery. Brees entered the season with a $30 million cap hit, six million dollars higher than that of any other NFL player. It was the price of clearing cap space in a previous year. But rather than bite that bullet now, they’ve again put it off for another day.

Brees signed what is functionally a one-year contract extension through 2017, but its key is that technically, it’s a five-year deal. Those three years after 2017 are fake, basically—the contract will be voided or reworked before they arrive. But they have the benefit of allowing the Saints to spread out Brees’s cap hit across the breadth of the deal. So his $30 million cap hit for 2016 becomes a manageable $17 million, and $19 million in 2017.

(This is the same salary cap math that had NHL teams signing guys to 17-year frontloaded contracts to spread out their cap hits, a practice that got so out of hand the loophole was promptly closed.)

Brees is 37 years old and may not have another contract in him after the Saints void this one following the 2017 season. Whenever he does leave, via retirement or in free agency, the back end of his current contract doesn’t just disappear. It will become dead money, $18 million of it, and it will hit the Saints’ cap all at once. The Saints have been kicking a few different cans down the road, but that road only goes so far. When the Brees era is over, the reckoning will be grim and the rebuilding will be hamstrung by the deferred sins of the past. For all the weaknesses the Saints roster currently has, this is as good as it’s going to be a for a while.

I mean, screw the Saints rhetoric aside, if we have to cling to another team being worse than us as our ray of hope we are in a world of trouble.  I'd rather our ray of hope be our young players step up and show there is promise for many years of solid play and production.  Or a ray of hope that the offense can actually put the ball in the end zone.  Tbh, I don't really care what the Saints do other than the two games we play against them each year.

I'd rather have the Falcons be good than have the Falcons be bad but the Saints be worse.  It's like being the tallest midget...

6 minutes ago, athell said:

I mean, screw the Saints rhetoric aside, if we have to cling to another team being worse than us as our ray of hope we are in a world of trouble.  I'd rather our ray of hope be our young players step up and show there is promise for many years of solid play and production.  Or a ray of hope that the offense can actually put the ball in the end zone.  Tbh, I don't really care what the Saints do other than the two games we play against them each year.

I'd rather have the Falcons be good than have the Falcons be bad but the Saints be worse.  It's like being the tallest midget...

Couldn't you have posted this in one of the other 10 negative Falcons threads on the front page?

Yeah, we need to find a way to stop Brees.  End of story.  Raiders had 1 sack by Irvin.  Here is the box score if you care to see it...

Oakland Raiders (1-0-0)   New Orleans Saints (0-1-0)

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. Carr 24/38 319 1 0
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. Richard 3 84 1 75T
L. Murray 14 59 1 10
D. Carr 2 16 0 11
D. Washington 5 14 0 5
J. Olawale 1 2 1 2T
T. Jones 1 -8 0 -8
Receiving REC YDS TD LG
A. Cooper 6 137 0 43
M. Crabtree 7 87 0 25
C. Walford 3 25 0 18
S. Roberts 2 19 1 10T
T. Jones 2 17 0 16
L. Murray 1 13 0 13
J. Richard 2 11 0 8
D. Washington 1 10 0 10
Fumbles FUM LOST REC YDS
A. Cooper 1 0 0 0
D. Hayden 0 0 0 0
B. Irvin 0 0 0 0
J. Ward 0 0 1 0
Kicking FG LG XP PTS
S. Janikowski 2/2 47 1/1 7
Punting NO AVG I20 LG
M. King 4 42.0 1 62
Kickoff Returns NO AVG TD LG
T. Jones 3 16 0 21
Punt Returns NO AVG TD LG
T. Carrie 1 10 0 10
J. Richard 1 6 0 6
Defense T-A SCK INT FF
R. Nelson 7-1 0.0 0 0
D. Amerson 4-0 0.0 0 0
D. Hayden 4-1 0.0 0 1
K. Mack 4-3 0.0 0 0
K. McGill 4-2 0.0 0 0
M. Smith 4-4 0.0 0 0
J. Ellis 3-0 0.0 0 0
B. Heeney 3-2 0.0 0 0
D. Autry 1-2 0.0 0 0
T. Carrie 1-0 0.0 0 0
B. Irvin 1-1 1.0 0 1
S. McGee 1-0 0.0 0 0
S. Smith 1-0 0.0 0 0
D. Latham 0-1 0.0 0 0
J. Ward 0-3 0.0 0 0

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. Brees 28/42 423 4 0
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. Ingram 12 58 0 17
B. Cooks 1 11 0 11
T. Hightower 4 9 0 5
D. Brees 2 5 0 4
J. Kuhn 2 4 0 2
T. Cadet 1 1 0 1
Receiving REC YDS TD LG
W. Snead 9 172 1 49
B. Cooks 6 143 2 98T
M. Thomas 6 58 0 25
M. Ingram 2 29 0 20
T. Cadet 3 14 1 6
C. Fleener 1 6 0 6
T. Hightower 1 1 0 1
Fumbles FUM LOST REC YDS
D. Brees 1 1 0 0
W. Snead 1 0 0 0
M. Thomas 0 0 1 10
Kicking FG LG XP PTS
W. Lutz 2/4 42 4/4 10
Punting NO AVG I20 LG
T. Morstead 2 39.5 1 51
Kickoff Returns NO AVG TD LG
M. Murphy 5 17 0 26
Punt Returns NO AVG TD LG
M. Murphy 2 5 0 6
Defense T-A SCK INT FF
C. Robertson 8-3 0.0 0 0
K. Vaccaro 5-1 0.0 0 0
K. Crawley 4-0 0.0 0 0
D. Harris 3-0 0.0 0 0
J. Laurinaitis 3-4 0.0 0 0
P. Williams 3-2 0.0 0 0
J. Byrd 2-2 0.0 0 0
N. Fairley 2-1 0.0 0 0
M. Mauti 2-0 0.0 0 0
S. Anthony 1-0 0.0 0 0
T. Davison 1-0 0.0 0 0
R. Harper 1-0 0.0 0 0
C. Jordan 1-0 0.0 0 0
P. Kruger 1-0 0.0 0 0
J. Jenkins 0-2 0.0 0 0
D. Onyemata 0-1 0.0 0 0
Total First Downs 25   Total First Downs 27
By Rushing 8   By Rushing 7
By Passing 14   By Passing 16
By Penalty     By Penalty  
Third Down Efficiency 4/11 - 36%   Third Down Efficiency 4/11 - 36%
Fourth Down Efficiency 0/0 - 0%   Fourth Down Efficiency 1/1 - 100%
Total Net Yards 486   Total Net Yards 507
Total Rushing/Passing Plays (includes Sacks) 64   Total Rushing/Passing Plays (includes Sacks) 65
Average Gain per Offensive Play 7.6   Average Gain per Offensive Play 7.8
Net Yards Rushing 167   Net Yards Rushing 88
Total Rushing Plays 26   Total Rushing Plays 22
Average Gain per Rushing Play 6.4   Average Gain per Rushing Play 4.0
Tackled for a Loss (Number-Yards) 3--11   Tackled for a Loss (Number-Yards) 1--1
Net Yards Passing 319   Net Yards Passing 419
Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 0 - 0   Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 1 - 4
Gross Yards Passing 319   Gross Yards Passing 423
Pass Comp-Att-Int 24 - 38 - 0   Pass Comp-Att-Int 28 - 42 - 0
Average Gain per Passing Play (includes Sacks) 8.4   Average Gain per Passing Play (includes Sacks) 9.7
Kickoffs (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks) 7 - 2 - 2   Kickoffs (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks) 7 - 4 - 4
Punts (Number-Average) 4 - 49.8   Punts (Number-Average) 2 - 47.5
Blocked 0   Blocked 0
Net Punting Average 42.0   Net Punting Average 39.5
FGs Blocked - PATs Blocked 0 - 0   FGs Blocked - PATs Blocked 0 - 0
Total Return Yardage (excludes Kickoffs) 16   Total Return Yardage (excludes Kickoffs) 11
Punt Returns (Number-Yards) 2 - 16   Punt Returns (Number-Yards) 2 - 11
Kickoff Returns (Number-Yards) 3 - 49   Kickoff Returns (Number-Yards) 5 - 86
Interception Returns (Number-Yards) 0 - 0   Interception Returns (Number-Yards) 0 - 0
Penalties (Number-Yards) 14 - 141   Penalties (Number-Yards) 7 - 53
Fumbles (Number-Lost) 1 - 0   Fumbles (Number-Lost) 2 - 1
Touchdowns 4   Touchdowns 4
Rushing 3   Rushing 0
Passing 1   Passing 4
Interceptions 0   Interceptions 0
Kickoff Returns 0   Kickoff Returns 0
Fumble Returns 0   Fumble Returns 0
Punt Returns 0   Punt Returns 0
Extra Points (Made-Attempted) 3 - 4   Extra Points (Made-Attempted) 4 - 4
Kicking (Made-Attempted) 1 - 1   Kicking (Made-Attempted) 4 - 4
Two Point Conversions (Made-Attempted) 2 - 3   Two Point Conversions (Made-Attempted) 0 - 0
Field Goals (Made-Attempted) 2 - 2   Field Goals (Made-Attempted) 2 - 4
Red Zone Efficiency 3/4 - 75%   Red Zone Efficiency 3/5 - 60%
Goal To Go Efficiency 2/2 - 100%   Goal To Go Efficiency 2/3 - 66%
Safeties 0   Safeties 0
Final Score 35   Final Score 34
Time of Possession 30:25   Time of Possession 29:35

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

Can't you post this in one of the other 20 negative Falcons threads on the front page?

I'm not being negative, I just don't get how some fans are more enthralled with other franchises than their own (not that this is the case with this thread, it is funny what is going on with the Saints cap situation).  I apologize if I am coming off overly negative, but I'm from Chicago and every baseball season Sox fans seem to get more enjoyment when the Cubs lose and vice versa and it just gets so old.  It's like just worry about your team and block out the rest.

Just now, hjerry said:

Couldn't you have posted this in one of the other 10 negative Falcons threads on the front page?

Thank you, it's like you can't create threads to have fun or have a laugh at your division rivals anymore. Being on this board is like being a battered housewife. Jump on the negativity train or prepare to be punched in the face.

I'm not being negative, I just don't get how some fans are more enthralled with other franchises than their own (not that this is the case with this thread, it is funny what is going on with the Saints cap situation).  I apologize if I am coming off overly negative, but I'm from Chicago and every baseball season Sox fans seem to get more enjoyment when the Cubs lose and vice versa and it just gets so old.  It's like just worry about your team and block out the rest.

Hatred for the Saints is real 

Dude, it's one thread. In no way, does one thread about the Saints cap situation show any of what you are suggesting.

If any and all fun being had by Falcons fans annoys you, then you seriously need a break from football.

The Saints have been going down this road for some time, or at least it seems that way. They've had to cut, trade or just let guys walk over the past few years, but even before that, they were always suppose to be in cap ****, yet they would still acquire a new player that would be coveted by other teams, like Jarius Byrd. The Saints GM, may have leverage the team to the hilt, but at least he does make some good picks that tend to have good impact for them. 

I don't know if this is any ray of sunshine, because the Saints may still finish with a record similar to the Falcons in most regards, even with their salary woes, simply because they can put points on the board, and they have a coach that makes good calculated gambles. Even with all their problems, that team still has some juice. The Falcons on the other hand, should be playing better, but they look very mediocre. As much as I hate the Saints, I'd love it if we had their coach.

Thank you for bolding those words.  It really drove your point home.

If you can't see the similarities to what I referenced, then I just don't know man.  I'm all for having fun by Falcons fans, it just seems silly to have fun at the expense of another team...division rival or not.  How about a ray of sunshine being we stop letting them abuse us year in and year out?  Wouldn't that be fun?!

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Thank you for bolding those words.  It really drove your point home.

If you can't see the similarities to what I referenced, then I just don't know man.  I'm all for having fun by Falcons fans, it just seems silly to have fun at the expense of another team...division rival or not.  How about a ray of sunshine being we stop letting them abuse us year in and year out?  Wouldn't that be fun?!

Dude, it's ok to hate the saints and poke fun at them relentlessly.  That goes hand in hand with wanting to beat their azz on the field and stop letting them abuse us year in and year out. 

WTF?  The stains are a bunch of scungy bastids...

Image result for gif of sean payton

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Dude, it's ok to hate the saints and poke fun at them relentlessly.  That goes hand in hand with wanting to beat their azz on the field and stop letting them abuse us year in and year out. 

WTF?  The stains are a bunch of scungy bastids...

Image result for gif of sean payton

I can appreciate that...ideally I just want the Falcons to (pardon the pun) rise up while the Saints bow down!  I want to return to being relevant again!!!

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

How's that working for them these days?

LOL, it's not thankfully!