Roundtable: Thoughts on the Falcons’ first loss of the season

theProf

Roundtable: Thoughts on the Falcons’ first loss of the season

By Dave Choate

@TheFalcoholic

Our staff delivers quick thoughts on the 31-24 loss to the Buccaneers.

Matt Chambers

The Falcons are the same team as last year, without the early season success.

The team shuffled their roster and spent aggressively in the offseason. They handed out nearly $80 million in offensive contracts and the results today were the same. No run game, bad red zone play calling, an egregiously poor third down offense, and a refusal to go uptempo. The defense was the target of multiple draft picks, but still struggle to tackle, pressure the quarterback, and create turnovers (minus you, Desmond Trufant). Both sides of the ball played sloppy and Atlanta had seven (!) penalties. It is tough to come out more uninspired than Dan Quinn did today. We may be in for a long season.

Dave Choate

Fans are running out of patience early.

The Falcons have gone through three lousy-to-mediocre seasons in a row, which meant that the average fan was already feeling a little eager to see something better and more compelling from this Atlanta team. It’s too early to deliver big, sweeping judgement of this team, but we’re all frustrated to see missed tackles, no pass rush, poor blocking, and so many penalties after watching the team struggle with those issues for the last couple of years. The Falcons need to show some sign of getting on track, or they’re going to lose the fanbase pretty quickly.

Kendall Jackson

Same garbage, different year.

The Falcons still can’t sack the quarterback, they still can’t tackle and they still can’t block. They’ll be on the road for four of the next five games, and that one home game is against the Carolina Panthers. The Falcons could very well be 0-6 by the time they host the San Diego Chargers in Week 7. Brace yourselves for a bumpy, bumpy ride, folks.

Allen Strk

Offensive line needs to step up.

Tampa Bay doesn’t exactly have an imposing line on either side of the ball. The offensive line lost their leader Logan Mankins in March. The defensive line has potential, but doesn’t feature any surefire assets besides Gerald McCoy and Robert Ayers. This should have been a good matchup for the Falcons.

Instead, the offensive line struggled to contain McCoy and Ayers. Chris Chester was frequently pushed around, while Jake Matthews had one of the worst first halves in his career. Unlike the defensive line, the offensive line came into this season with high expectations. By not opening up many holes in the running game and forcing Ryan to make quick decisions, it was a very disappointing performance. Carolina, Denver, and Seattle aren’t far away.

DW

Where’s the pass rush?

I’m not ready to write-off Vic Beasley yet, as it’s just too early to label a young player like him a “bust” this early in his career. However, this Falcons team is just completely incapable of generating pressure against the QB, and someone - anyone - needs to step up. I don’t care if it’s Shelby or Clayborn or Beasley or “old man” Freeney, I just need one of these guys to begin terrorizing QBs. If coaching is the issue - I’m looking at you Bryan Cox - then something needs to be done about that as well. I believe we have some potentially good - maybe great - players on our defense, but it will mean nothing if we can’t affect the quarterback. Whatever, however, whoever - please just fix this pass rush.

Caleb Rutherford

Same ol’ Falcons.

I don’t like saying it, but there isn’t a thing I saw on Sunday that suggests this team took any steps forward from 2015. Not just 2015...the bad part of it.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/9/12/12879132/roundtable-thoughts-on-the-falcons-first-loss-of-the-season

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the overall gloom and doom about this team after 1 game...losing to TB stinks(I know).

Some fans need to show some integrity and admit that TB has a good team.  Likewise, a coaching staff of DK/MS and Grimes on the field is hurting some fans feelings.

Too much football left to be played, for all this head hanging.

21 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I just don't see the overall gloom and doom about this team after 1 game...losing to TB stinks(I know).

Some fans need to show some integrity and admit that TB has a good team.  Likewise, a coaching staff of DK/MS and Grimes on the field is hurting some fans feelings.

yeah but it is not just based on one game, Toker.

Those falcoholics above, myself and others are disgusted based on 3--8 the last 11 games last year, a listless looking offense for some of the preseason and a pathetic showing last Sunday - @ HOME - where the home team is supposed to have an advantage.    The Falcons of the past defended home turf - not anymore. 

YES, it is "just one game" in the standings but the pass rush is still M.I.A and our young passrusher is looking like a buster right now, Hagerman doesn't dress (Dom Violence ), offensive line looks horrible, tackling bad, no passrush, Matt still looks uncomfortable in offense, no hurry up offense, etc.

YES - Just one game in the standings

YES, a whole lot more troubling than just one game.

Just now, g-dawg said:

yeah but it is not just based on one game, Toker.

Those falcoholics above, myself and others are disgusted based on 3--8 the last 11 games last year, a listless looking offense for some of the preseason and a pathetic showing last Sunday - @ HOME - where the home team is supposed to have an advantage.    The Falcons of the past defended home turf - not anymore. 

YES, it is "just one game" in the standings but the pass rush is still M.I.A and our young passrusher is looking like a buster right now, Hagerman doesn't dress (Dom Violence ), offensive line looks horrible, tackling bad, no passrush, Matt still looks uncomfortable in offense, no hurry up offense, etc.

YES - Just one game in the standings

YES, a whole lot more troubling than just one game.

Penalties can't be cleaned up?

This is what building looks like...too bad a lot of fans can't stomach it.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Dan Quinn has risked his future as a head coach by hiring Kyle Shannahan and he doubled down this ooffseason.  Good luck with that DQ.

The only disappointing aspect of the "O" was the run game.  Tampa Bay played it well.  Falcons produced through the air, but vets have to make catches and some throws need to be better.

Not to mention penalties...it can be cleaned up.  

I hate losing, especially division games. I think that the Bucs are going to have an awfully good team this year and this is not just the fact that the Falcons played poorly. I think that this team has a ways to go starting with getting talent in here that is worry of playing in the NFL.

I was never a fan of the Shanahan hiring but I am willing to give him a shot. I think the offense looked a little more cohesive(Coleman was insane) and that was with a subpar performance for Matthews and no run game(again I think TB will be really good this year).

My one pet peeve seems to follow this team and not even coaches, ADJUSTMENTS to the gameplan. At least this week defensively we did not seem to match the adjustments the Bucs this week

1 hour ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I don't think anyone really feels like Tampa Bay has a good football team. You remember when the Jets came to town and we somehow made Geno Smith look like a pro bowl quarterback? 

8 minutes ago, Falconphagist said:

I don't think anyone really feels like Tampa Bay has a good football team. You remember when the Jets came to town and we somehow made Geno Smith look like a pro bowl quarterback? 

Tampa has the makings of a good team. Winston is the real deal, their receiving corps look lethal, MCCoy and David both look ready to have an all-pro seasons....and grimes brought some stability to their defensive backfield 

best thing for Falcons last Sunday is Matt Ryan looking Comfortable in the WCO....he did not play perfectly, but he played with confidence. That's a huge difference from end of last season. Huge for offense and this team. 

Edited by Vandy

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Tampa has the makings of a good team. Winston is the real deal, their receiving corps look lethal, MCCoy and David both look ready to have an all-pro seasons....and grimes brought some stability to their defensive backfield 

and you did not even mention Kwon Alexander who looks like a pro bowler - he had 16 tackles and a sack last week to follow-up on his excellent rook season.

10 minutes ago, Falconphagist said:

Yeah I do, and this doesn't compare. 

Let's be honest TATF/Falcon fans everywhere, because its DK/MS, Tampa Bay just can't be any good for some of you....the loss opened wounds for some.

49 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Dan Quinn has risked his future as a head coach by hiring Kyle Shannahan and he doubled down this ooffseason.  Good luck with that DQ.

Kyle Shanahan isn't good enough to be an azzhole as a great man once said. Uptempo offense works best with Matt Ryan and Shanahan's ego would not allow him to let that happen. Dan Quinn bears blame for enabling a third rate twit like Kyle to impose his bad system on the team. 

I'm sick of this $hit. If we do end up starting 0-6 and ending up with a 4-12 type record, I say fire the entire building and bring in everyone new. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

best thing for Falcons Sunday is Matt Ryan looking Comfortable in the WCO....he did not play perfectly, but he played with confidence. That's a huge difference from end of last season. Huge for offense and this team. 

Good post

Just now, g-dawg said:

and you did not even mention Kwon Alexander who looks like a pro bowler - he had 16 tackles and a sack last week to follow-up on his excellent rook season.

Gosh he was all over the place, wasn't he? he looks like he's going to take his game up to a higher level This season. 

That's a good young team who beat us. And we still could/should have won if we clean up the dumb mistakes in tackling and penalties. 

I am over any posters in here trying to pump me up for this team. I LOVE my Falcons and will be with them till I die. I have seen way to much football for anyone to sell me any dang crap that can make me change my mind that this team as it is put together will have a shot at a winning season this year. 

1. No pass rush. Maybe DQ can manufacture some. If he is going to sit back in nickel all game then not likely going to happen. Even if he did start blitzing bet they get burnt on the back end.

2. Tackle the dang ball carrier first. Lets worry about turnovers after we can prove we can take them to the ground. I want to see solid play before we try and step it up to striping the dang ball. 

3. Stop lining up in the neutral ZONE man that should never dang happen!! This crap was going on all year last year unforced errors. Still not fixed this year? How much does a good coach cost now days?

4. The run game has not shown up for now over at least the last 4 games. Hint its not the RBs fault.

5. Blocking has become a forgotten art for this team. Just watch as soon as QB takes the snap I am like throw the dang ball they are going to eat you up get it out now. This is just after the snap. Tell me the truth yall are sayin the same dang thing.

6. Again to many unforced errors for the offense. If anyone should know the dang snap count it should be the guys that just broke the frigging huddle.

What I saw last Sunday was one team that looked like the coach had them all on the same page. Then another coach that looked like he had been teaching dance class to prepare for a football game.

This team has gone form needing help to needing a miracle. If things don't change I still say this team will be 4-12 by years end. 

20 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Yeah I do, and this doesn't compare. 

Let's be honest TATF/Falcon fans everywhere, because its DK/MS, Tampa Bay just can't be any good for some you....the loss opened wounds for some.

As a falcon fan first but still also a huge smitty  fan who will always appreciate what he accomplished here, I could not help but chuckle after seing all the anti-smitty bashing on these boards the past year or so and watching him strategically taking away our running game  and getting his young guys like Alexander to buy in to what he's doing. Much like he did when he first came here as a head coach.

buy-in is crucial. Quinn and shanny both had problems with that last season.

Edited by Vandy

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

As a falcon fan first but still also a huge smitty  fan who will always appreciate what he accomplished here, I could not help but chuckle after seing all the anti-smitty bashing on these boards the past year or so and watching him strategically taking away our running game  and getting his young guys like Alexander to buy in to what he's doing. Much like he did when he first came here as a head coach.

buy-in is crucial. Quinn and shanny both had problems with that last season.

Maybe Quinn needs to get out that notepad.  Smittyball would have pulled that game out...not beating ourselves(penalties).

Quinn has time to fix it.  A better analysis will come after game 4.

8 minutes ago, high impact said:

I am over any posters in here trying to pump me up for this team. I LOVE my Falcons and will be with them till I die. I have seen way to much football for anyone to sell me any dang crap that can make me change my mind that this team as it is put together will have a shot at a winning season this year. 

1. No pass rush. Maybe DQ can manufacture some. If he is going to sit back in nickel all game then not likely going to happen. Even if he did start blitzing bet they get burnt on the back end.

2. Tackle the dang ball carrier first. Lets worry about turnovers after we can prove we can take them to the ground. I want to see solid play before we try and step it up to striping the dang ball. 

3. Stop lining up in the neutral ZONE man that should never dang happen!! This crap was going on all year last year unforced errors. Still not fixed this year? How much does a good coach cost now days?

4. The run game has not shown up for now over at least the last 4 games. Hint its not the RBs fault.

5. Blocking has become a forgotten art for this team. Just watch as soon as QB takes the snap I am like throw the dang ball they are going to eat you up get it out now. This is just after the snap. Tell me the truth yall are sayin the same dang thing.

6. Again to many unforced errors for the offense. If anyone should know the dang snap count it should be the guys that just broke the frigging huddle.

What I saw last Sunday was one team that looked like the coach had them all on the same page. Then another coach that looked like he had been teaching dance class to prepare for a football game.

This team has gone form needing help to needing a miracle. If things don't change I still say this team will be 4-12 by years end. 

You predicted 4-12...why are pre-season doomsayers some of the most disappointed right now?

This is Profesional Football so Tampa having a good team is no excuse

We are Pro's so we gotta play pro's. That is expected not morale victories . But I'm beginning to question our Staff. OC has every Coach with the exception of 1 was with Kyle at his previous stops. He has a history of surrounding himself with his people maybe DQ should hire a few O Coaches not in KS circle. At the end of day the question is do we have a great sta

1 minute ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Maybe Quinn needs to get out that notepad.  Smittyball would have pulled that game out...not beating ourselves(penalties).

Quinn has time to fix it.  A better analysis will come after game 4.

You predicted 4-12...why are pre-season doomsayers some of the most disappointed right now?

So you must watch a different Falcons team than I have been watching. Please let me in on what you see that makes you right and me wrong. 

I see the same bad play from last year. Yes only one game has been played. A lot had better change in week two or we will see the same outcome as this past Sunday.

1 minute ago, high impact said:

So you must watch a different Falcons team than I have been watching. Please let me in on what you see that makes you right and me wrong. 

I see the same bad play from last year. Yes only one game has been played. A lot had better change in week two or we will see the same outcome as this past Sunday.

We won't know who is right or wrong until the season is over.