Matt Ryan talks no huddle again, and again, and again

KRUNKuno

Matt Ryan talks no-huddle again, and again, and again

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan made it clear heading into the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that the no-huddle offense is something he discusses often with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and has at his disposal.

Regardless, Ryan continues to be peppered with questions about whether he nudges Shanahan to run the no-huddle more often. Such was the case again Tuesday during Ryan's weekly radio show appearance on 680 the Fan in Atlanta.

Ryan, who thrives in the no-huddle, was asked why the Falcons opted not to utilize the no-huddle earlier during a 31-24 season-opening loss to the Buccaneers. The Falcons trailed 31-13 before going no-huddle. Ryan then converted a 25-yard touchdown pass to Julio Jones with 1:42 left in the third quarter.

"I think there's pluses and minuses to it," Ryan said of the no-huddle. "For us, for our run scheme, it really waters down what you can do in the run game. ... With the way that our scheme is set up, it's important for us to get that run game going. It's no question about that.

"But also, we play with pretty good tempo in and out of the huddle. I think we move and we operate pretty quickly. But we used (the no-huddle) effectively in this game. We used it a couple different times. You mentioned the one timeout that we forced. The touchdown that we hit to Julio was in a no-huddle situation as well. So, we do some good things with it."

So why not more?

"It's just different," Ryan continued. "Our coaches feel and believe that getting in that huddle and creating motions and shifts and using some of those things to our advantages to get the fronts that you want is an advantage for us. And again, I thought we did some good things. We moved it efficiently. Had we cleaned up a few of those (procedural penalties) in the red zone, I think you're talking about a really good offensive performances."

The Falcons slowed themselves down with three false starts in the red zone, although they overcame two of them on Ryan's 5-yard touchdown pass to Mohamed Sanu in the first quarter.

We'll see if the no-huddle becomes more of a weapon for the Falcons in Week 2 against pass-rush demon Khalil Mack and the Oakland Raiders. Wearing down Mack would be ideal before he wears out the Falcons' offensive line.

Look the way i see it is our offense obviously needs to carry the defense until the defense can support its own. Now last year we saw several games where the defense carried hard, but this year were starting 2 rookie LBs, a rookie SS, Poole at nickel, Beasleys in year 2 and only on game 1 and they're getting used to playing as a unit. Offense has got to be the rock until the defense is playing good. We have too much money invested in the offense not to have them carry. That being said, giving up 31 points, 17 of which were due to stupid penalties on 3rd downs that wouldve gotten them off the field is unacceptable, period.

Edited by FenixFalcon

I could be wrong here, but it also seems that no huddle cuts down on pre-snap penalties for us because the players actively practice settling their bodies down and "clicking in" before the snap since everything is moving faster. It's a fundamental part of practicing up-tempo.

This also tells me fundamentals are being neglected in favor of complex scheming to feed our OC's ego -- players are out there overthinking the minutiae of Shanahan's BS playcalling & failing to do the little things, resulting in penalties, whiffs on blocks, etc. when operating out of a huddle.

4 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Yeah can't put the blame on Matt Ryan.  Its the defense, than its the OC, then its the WR's, than its injuries, than its the O lIne.  Matt Ryan needs to point the finger at himself and say, Am I able to win with this team?

what a sad little life you must have being so miserable.

4 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Yeah can't put the blame on Matt Ryan.  Its the defense, than its the OC, then its the WR's, than its injuries, than its the O lIne.  Matt Ryan needs to point the finger at himself and say, Am I able to win with this team?

What is this nursery school?

Do you have a brain and have the ability to think for yourself?  Can you watch a game and use deductive reasoning as to how and why we lost?

The Falcons slowed themselves down with three false starts in the red zone, although they overcame two of them on Ryan's 5-yard touchdown pass to Mohamed Sanu in the first quarter.

I guess Ryan should have stopped jumping before the snap & of course Ryan forced the D to fk things up with 3rd down penalties...

And I know Ryan needs to work on those sack numbers and his spin move as well as his propensity to miss tackles.

How does a grown man blame Ryan when he had little to do with the reasons we lost?  

There isn't a disconnect. Had Ryan marched 92 yards in less than 2 minutes and won the game no one would be talking about this. But that is really hard to do. The fact is this whole discussion is a red herring. Matt did everything he could do to win the game. Could he do more? Sure, but had Alford stayed with his coverage we wouldn't have had those two bombs, or if anyone on the field could have tackled Sims, this wouldn't have happened.

Maybe McClure should stop asking the same question of Matt and go ask Richard Smith why his defense can't tackle or why they can't pressure.

5 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Matt Ryan gave up 31 points to a team that only averaged 21 last season?  Matt Ryan only ran for 52 yards with 2.4 ypc against a defense that gave up over 100 yards rushing per game last season?  

Ryan had the 7th highest yardage passing, 6th highest QB rating, 4th highest yards per attempt, and a 69.2 completion rate against the Bucs while getting sacked the 5th most times.  Generally, having a good game does not coincide with getting sacked a bunch of times, which makes his game even more impressive.

Anyone that watched this game blaming Ryan is showing everyone how ignorant they are about football.  No QB throws on the mark 100% of the time.  They all make mistakes.  I remember two bad passes to Julio and Sanu, but I also remember two big drops on perfect passes by each of those guys in that same game.  Our OL gave up the 5th most sacks.  Our running game was abysmal.  And our defense was shamed.  The passing game was the ONLY thing working, and even with that we gave up way too much pressure to their front 4.

This team is not going to succeed doing what they did on Sunday.  The coaching staff is stubborn and the GM has an issue.  This offense has never "fit" well with Matt Ryan.  As long as they keep operating under the same mindset, the team will not be successful over the long haul.  Wasn't it Dan Reeves whom had to change the verbiage of his system after many years of coaching and multiple super bowl appearances?  He did it to fit better with Mike Vick.  Sound like we have a OC that is a "my way or the highway type" and a head coach who isn't mandating that these two (QB & OC) work together as EQUALS to put this team in the best position to win.

The D has always had problems.  I think we stay away from certain players b/c our front office thinks they are smarter than everyone else.  I know I would have been in the DeMarcus Ware/Mario Williams market.  For some reason we were not.  Sure money and age played a part, however, these guys have something left in the tank.  We only bought on Freeney b/c he was cheap.  Not saying Freeney will not provide some sacks, I hope he does.  You get what you pay for or in our case what we leave on the shelf.

My biggest question is who will Arthur Blank listen to after a few losses or after another losing season?

His star player(s) still under contract (Ryan and Julio) who might hint they hate this offense?

His new coaching staff that has only been around a couple of years saying they need more time?

His fans who might be voicing their displeasure at watching a great offense go down and a defense get worse?

His local press who seem to be now jumping on the coaching staff for its lack of success?

His business friends who have him thinking about building the stadium more than the team?

His supposed lead GM who has a record of success that would put most to shame?

2 hours ago, birdz4i said:

what a sad little life you must have being so miserable.

Um... he's right. Matt Ryan is one of the few bright spots on this team.

Our defense is pedestrian, our OC is a self-obsessed jack-***, our WRs catch a case of the dropsies at the worst times, and our young teamembers can't quit committing penalties. 

I hate to say it but those are all signs of a head coach in over his head. 

8 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

"Coaches feel"... not "We as a team" feel. Basically Shanny wants everything super effecient. One step at a time for calculated plays. Ryan feels we can just out run and catch them lol Which we all know is possible. 

I swear, people hear what they want to hear.  It doesn't really matter what anyone says.

8 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

"Coaches feel"... not "We as a team" feel. Basically Shanny wants everything super effecient. One step at a time for calculated plays. Ryan feels we can just out run and catch them lol Which we all know is possible. 

This was the first thing that popped off the page to me as well.  He basically put it directly on Shanahan.

:rolleyes:

Y'all are nuts.  The dude said why we don't run more no huddle.  He defended the decision.  If you actually heard it, he said the concerns were not with getting the offense winded or whatever, but what looks you get them into and how the offense operates with shifts and so forth.

Which, if you understand the WCO on even a rudimentary level, makes perfect sense.  They are trying to create mismatches through formation, alignment and shifts.  And it works, which Matt also said -- if they cleaned up some stuff in the redzone they'd have had a good offensive performance.  And most of the cleanup was on penalties, so......

5 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

I don't think we play at a high tempo at all. Our snap counts were also very predictable. I thought the Bucs did a much better job of mixing up their snap counts and generally played at a much higher tempo than us.

Tempo is about the mechanics of getting from one play to the next, not snap count.  It's about how efficiently the play-call gets in, how crisply personnel shuffles in and out, and how quickly you get out the huddle and up to the line.  You want all that to be a nice, smooth operation.  That's what the mean they talk tempo.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

2 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

I think it truly speaks to the disconnect between the players and the coaches.

There's no disconnect man. If it was they wouldn't play with the energy they play with like Smith's last year. The energy showed he had lost the locker room. Plus the team is too young to be disconnected to the coaching staff lmao!!! After one year the players are disconnected? You're really reaching brother. Really reaching.

Have you ever been in organized sports? Namely football? When you're young you're just excited to be playing and you're trying to learn EVERYTHING you va from the coaches. All you have to do is watch Sanu wired up. You can feel the energy and there's no disconnect. And I'm pretty good at reading ppl and energy being in business. That's a skill you have to have on my business. I don't get the same disinterest in this team from its coaching staff that I got from smith's last season. 

2 hours ago, pzummo said:

Matt Ryan gave up 31 points to a team that only averaged 21 last season?  Matt Ryan only ran for 52 yards with 2.4 ypc against a defense that gave up over 100 yards rushing per game last season?  

Ryan had the 7th highest yardage passing, 6th highest QB rating, 4th highest yards per attempt, and a 69.2 completion rate against the Bucs while getting sacked the 5th most times.  Generally, having a good game does not coincide with getting sacked a bunch of times, which makes his game even more impressive.

Anyone that watched this game blaming Ryan is showing everyone how ignorant they are about football.  No QB throws on the mark 100% of the time.  They all make mistakes.  I remember two bad passes to Julio and Sanu, but I also remember two big drops on perfect passes by each of those guys in that same game.  Our OL gave up the 5th most sacks.  Our running game was abysmal.  And our defense was shamed.  The passing game was the ONLY thing working, and even with that we gave up way too much pressure to their front 4.

Nice to read a thread where someone (see a few others do as well) get it.  I was shocked that some on here actually blamed the Bucs loss on Ryan.  He had a very solid, not perfect, game.  

No running game all game and defense ****ting the bed with less than 2 mins left in the 2nd and the 3rd quarter cost us this game.