Is it Talent? or Coaches have not idea

Unconvincing choices

Quinn is known for utilizing multiple rotations and keeping players fresh. While he certainly used several different players, both defensive packages were underwhelming. After Vic Beasley was slated to play as a strongside linebacker, Quinn opted to play Phillip Wheeler at the position. Tyson Jackson was being used as a defensive tackle during preseason. The results were promising, as Jackson was pushing guards around in a three-tech role.

Quinn decided to shift Jackson back to the outside, while inserting Jonathan Babineauxinto the base package. That forced Derrick Shelby into lining up as a defensive tackle within their nickel package. Both decisions didn't make sense, as Jackson is a liability off the edge and Shelby consistently gets overpowered on the inside. Why is a natural defensive end being utilized on the interior, while an immobile prototypical 3-4 defensive end forced on the edge?

On Jameis Winston's impeccable touchdown pass to Mike Evans, the pocket was completely clean. That proved to be a reoccurring theme during the entire game. This included Winston's first quarter interception, as he had enough time in the pocket to make himself a cup of coffee. In the base package last season, Jackson and Kroy Biermann lined up as defensive ends. Jackson and Brooks Reed were used as defensive ends during yesterday's game, and there just isn't a semblance of hope that either is going to turn into a pass rushing asset.

The front office invested in Shelby to be a potential difference maker. Forcing him to primarily play as an interior pass rusher rather than utilize his strengths isn't sensible. He excelled as a left defensive end by playing the run well and overpowering opposing tackles. Shelby is known for his power, not speed or technique like Adrian Clayborn. Employing both of them on the inside will allow offenses to run up the middle without much resistance. They were acquired as defensive ends unlike Jonathan Babineaux, who is clearly a well-rounded defensive tackle and fit well in their nickel package. Moving Jackson and Shelby from their expected roles translated into negative outcomes for a porous defense.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, capologist said:

I'm not talking about just 1 play--hence me talking about the entire first half...

That was just an example.  There were a couple of other times it was only a 3 man rush.... by design.  I don't count the time Beasley was taken out of a play.

For the most part there wasn't as much pressure as the first half but either way it wasn't enough because of the 4 TD passes.

If it's talent, it would still be on Quinn.  We played TB twice last season and they scored 23 both times.  TB only averaged 21.4 points per game last season.  We still have the guys from last season that held them to 23.  Quinn benched those guys this season in favor of rookies and TB proceeded to hang over 30 on us.  

Is that talent or coaching?  I am not happy with Shanahan or Quinn.  Shanahan stubbornly stuck with the run when it wasn't working all game.  Their DL dominated our OL.  He never made in-game adjustments to counter how their DL dominated us.  He never had us go up tempo, no huddle, putting them on their heals.  He played right into their hands.  Calling running plays put us behind the chains and into many predictable passing situations.  We scored 24 in spite of him.  And the lack of discipline we showed with the penalties was absolutely on Quinn.  Not to mention the abysmal display of tackling.  

We lose to Oakland.  

It is coaching. Every team I've watched play already has been able to generate some sort of pass rush. Even the Rams last night were able to get to the QB. It has just gotten to the point of being ridiculous that the Falcons can do nothing in this area. Are the players to weak to do this job? Or is there a technique they are trying to use, that is not allowing for penetration to happen. I see nothing really dynamic going on with stunts or really any gambling going on. The sad thing is, that after another game or 2 of no pass rush happening, you'll see desperate in game measures taking place that will get exploited, and make them look even worse. How another offseason has gone by and this glaring problem still exist, is beyond me.

Edited by 4dabirds

18 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

It is coaching. Every team I've watched play already has been able to generate some sort of pass rush. Even the Rams last night were able to get to the QB. It has just gotten to the point being ridiculous that the Falcons can do nothing in this area. Are the players to weak to do this job? Or is there a technique they are trying to use, not allowing for penetration to happen. I see nothing really dynamic going on with stunts or really any gambling going on. The sad thing is, that after another game or 2 of no pass rush happening, you'll see desperate in game measures taking place that will get exploited, and make them look even worse. How another offseason has gone by and this glaring problem still exist, is beyond me.

You and me both.

Dimitroff and Pioli have both got to go. Enough is enough. No more retread GMs.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

We used to complain about Smitty doing the same things -- playing guys out of position.

I wonder if this isn't a side effect of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

But now a much larger percentage of these players are new-regime players, aren't they?

But to the central point of the thread, there does seem to be an absurd obsession with putting players who have talents, skill and experience at one specific position anywhere but at that position.

Fine if you want to screw around and keep practice from being too boring, but when you trot this out in games and it lays an egg, there must come a time when you have to explain ~ justify ~ this constant musical chair charade or stop doing it, or get fired for going full moron.

48 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That was just an example.  There were a couple of other times it was only a 3 man rush.... by design.  I don't count the time Beasley was taken out of a play.

For the most part there wasn't as much pressure as the first half but either way it wasn't enough because of the 4 TD passes.

Eh, there was plenty in the first half.  We shot ourselves in the foot on their two 1st half TD's.  Clayborn offsides extending a drive when we had them stopped and then that last drive with the non-tackling nonsense.  Things were a lot better in the first half than I think most realize...

1 minute ago, capologist said:

Eh, there was plenty in the first half.  We shot ourselves in the foot on their two 1st half TD's.  Clayborn offsides extending a drive when we had them stopped and then that last drive with the non-tackling nonsense.  Things were a lot better in the first half than I think most realize...

you can tell who the people are that were lat to the game

16 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

But now a much larger percentage of these players are new-regime players, aren't they?

But to the central point of the thread, there does seem to be an absurd obsession with putting players who have talents, skill and experience at one specific position anywhere but at that position.

Fine if you want to screw around and keep practice from being too boring, but when you trot this out in games and it lays an egg, there must come a time when you have to explain ~ justify ~ this constant musical chair charade or stop doing it, or get fired for going full moron.

Well said

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

We were definetely not as prepared as Tampa was coming into game, which is a coaching issue. No excuses for losing at home. 

I only had an opp to watch the first half but I didnt think we looked ill-prepared. I think we made a handful of costly errors on 3rd downs that proved to be too much. Which was incredibly frustrating coming off of last year. 

Those sorts of things have to get cleaned up.