So far it's been all about Quinn and Shanahan

RED_N_BLACK_98

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Quinn sounds lost or afraid to make a decision. Why make all the decisions and changes in the preseason then not implement them in the regular season? That and changing the 3rd and goal to a draw, it sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing out there.

Do you realize what the odds are on converting a 3rd and goal from the 17 and more importantly what the odds are of something bad happening from that down and distance?  That's why you eat it and take the points...

1 hour ago, capologist said:

Here's the thing though, it's not going backwards and that's what I find frustrating to read.

Beasley isn't looking "worse".  Not progressing does not equate to looking worse.  That said, it was game #1 of his 2nd season.  This is what I'm talking about.  

I posted the first 6 drives of the Tampa game and I'm telling you KS was not and is not the problem.  He utilizes the talent on offense just fine which is why Freeman emerged last year in his offense, Coleman is looking like a stud this season.  Sanu had a great 1st game and Julio is Julio despite being banged up all game long.  

The DC game plan was just fine, the execution is what lacked but that comes with relying on a lot of extremely young players.  Matthews had a bad game.  He was excellent last season and I have no reason to suspect that this game was anything but just that--one game--yet you are wanting to sum up his whole career on that performance...lol  That's what is frustrating to me.  It's nothing but emotional responding (and I don't mean that as an insult--just a fact).  

I urge you to unplug the fan in you after the game and then watch it without any attachment or preset bias.  You'll see it differently I assure you.

I come off sounding like a Shanahan fan but the truth is, I'm indifferent about him.  Thing is, his system works with QB's like Matt Schaub and Matt Ryan is a better version of Schaub but the skill set is very similar.

We have 1 play where tackling is atrocious and all of the sudden, people are posting as if we tackled that way the entire game.  It's just not factually based.  That's the problem...

I'm not saying Beasley is looking worse. However the lack of progress is concerning and something to watch as the season goes along. If he has stalled out then the team is definitely headed the wrong direction. When you're relying on a guy to be a cornerstone of your defense and he busts, that's a step backward. Not saying this has happened yet, just saying it's something to watch.

KS went to the no huddle, the offense came alive, and he instantly went away from it. Matt Ryan runs the no huddle as well as any QB in the game but it's such a small part of our offense and I don't understand why. The only explanation I can come up with is that KS just doesn't like the no huddle, it isn't a big part of his system, and he's too married to his system to change (this is true of many OCs). KS, like any OC, will call some brilliant plays. He's especially good at getting RBs in space. But at the end of the day you watch the offense and it reminds you of a car that keeps misfiring. The offense is disjointed, klunky. KS has proven incapable of using Matt Ryan to his full ability and that's a huge problem.  

All told, I'm not at all saying we should fire Quinn now. I'm saying that if the team that played Sunday is indicative of how 2016 is going to go, then we have real issues with Quinn. There's still plenty of time for Quinn to turn this around. Beasley could step up, Neal could come in and be a revelation, tackling could get better, KS could get fired or, less likely, actually get the offense humming. 

It's not time to judge Quinn yet. But it is a perfect time to start voicing concerns and seeing if Quinn can put them to rest or if they end up having legs.

1 hour ago, Striker42 said:

It's not time to judge Quinn yet. But it is a perfect time to start voicing concerns and seeing if Quinn can put them to rest or if they end up having legs.

I seriously doubt Dan Quinn gives a **** about your concerns.  Certainly not enough to actually try to put them to rest.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I seriously doubt Dan Quinn gives a **** about your concerns.  Certainly not enough to actually try to put them to rest.

Of course he doesn't care. If he did care that would be another concern. All I'm saying is that it's not too early to start having concerns about Quinn and to watch and see if those concerns are founded or not. 

3 hours ago, Striker42 said:

I'm not saying Beasley is looking worse. However the lack of progress is concerning and something to watch as the season goes along. If he has stalled out then the team is definitely headed the wrong direction. When you're relying on a guy to be a cornerstone of your defense and he busts, that's a step backward. Not saying this has happened yet, just saying it's something to watch.

KS went to the no huddle, the offense came alive, and he instantly went away from it. Matt Ryan runs the no huddle as well as any QB in the game but it's such a small part of our offense and I don't understand why. The only explanation I can come up with is that KS just doesn't like the no huddle, it isn't a big part of his system, and he's too married to his system to change (this is true of many OCs). KS, like any OC, will call some brilliant plays. He's especially good at getting RBs in space. But at the end of the day you watch the offense and it reminds you of a car that keeps misfiring. The offense is disjointed, klunky. KS has proven incapable of using Matt Ryan to his full ability and that's a huge problem.  

All told, I'm not at all saying we should fire Quinn now. I'm saying that if the team that played Sunday is indicative of how 2016 is going to go, then we have real issues with Quinn. There's still plenty of time for Quinn to turn this around. Beasley could step up, Neal could come in and be a revelation, tackling could get better, KS could get fired or, less likely, actually get the offense humming. 

Okay, maybe I misunderstood what you meant when you said "looking worse"...lol

Thing is though you are saying a lack of progress and it's just 1 game so far.  It's something to watch but nothing to be concerned about yet.  If he is still silent by game 4 then we'll have something to be concerned about IMO.

You can't go no huddle the entire game.  You just don't have the bodies to rotate in to hold up like that.  There was nothing wrong with the offense, scheme or playcalling this game.  It was all on penalties and execution.  I know that's not the popular answer around here but that's the truth of it.

I don't think it's disjointed or klunky at all.  I think it's like any other offense, when players screw up, it's not going to work.

I just see way too many people hitting the panic button when the fact is we were relying on at least 6 players that aren't even in their 3rd year yet.  

5 minutes ago, Club212 said:

Down 18, late in the game...2...TWO running plays called in a row???? Who's fault is that? We have one of the games top WR, Only 4/5 receptions???

Julio dropped a big pass

Sanu was effective but dropped a pass or two

Tevin ripped it.

Considering the run got stuffed, we still had a chance to tie the game...didn't execute.  Home turf got Sanu on the drive as well

Can we at least play 4 games before we lose our collective minds?

16 hours ago, capologist said:

Okay, maybe I misunderstood what you meant when you said "looking worse"...lol

Thing is though you are saying a lack of progress and it's just 1 game so far.  It's something to watch but nothing to be concerned about yet.  If he is still silent by game 4 then we'll have something to be concerned about IMO.

You can't go no huddle the entire game.  You just don't have the bodies to rotate in to hold up like that.  There was nothing wrong with the offense, scheme or playcalling this game.  It was all on penalties and execution.  I know that's not the popular answer around here but that's the truth of it.

I don't think it's disjointed or klunky at all.  I think it's like any other offense, when players screw up, it's not going to work.

I just see way too many people hitting the panic button when the fact is we were relying on at least 6 players that aren't even in their 3rd year yet.  

The problem is that Beasley wasn't all that impressive last year, didn't show anything in the preseason, and then started off 2016 completely invisible. We've by no means reached the point of panic with Beasley but we have reached the point where we can look at him and say he needs to step up and show something. His rookie year is behind him. He's now being counted on to be the guy. It's time for him to show that he's capable of being that guy.

I think a lot of the talk about Quinn and others is still tentative. You're having people saying things like "If this continues the rest of the year..." and "If Beasley can't step up...". The jury is still out on a lot of stuff right now but so far the results have not been overly impressive and there's no real indication that things will change. So it's completely reasonable to start considering what should be done if things don't change. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. 

As for the no huddle, I'm not saying to run the no huddle exclusively. However, if you have the right guy under center you can rely heavily on the no huddle and be very, very dangerous. Guys like Manning and Brady are masters of it. I think Ryan has what it takes to run such an offense. He's never more in command than when running the hurry up. However, right now I'd be happy if Shanahan would swallow his pride and run the no huddle more often than one series a game outside of two minute drills. 

It's way too easy to blame the offensive struggles on execution. The fact is this team has maybe the best receiver in the game, a good number 2 receiver, two solid RBs, and a very good QB. If you're blaming execution then you have to consider whether you're asking the players to do things that don't fit them.

The main problem I have is the fact that I was hoping to see something different this year and the first game was like the second half of last season distilled down into 60 minutes. It's not time to rush to judgment but dissatisfaction is natural.

1 hour ago, Striker42 said:

The problem is that Beasley wasn't all that impressive last year, didn't show anything in the preseason, and then started off 2016 completely invisible. We've by no means reached the point of panic with Beasley but we have reached the point where we can look at him and say he needs to step up and show something. His rookie year is behind him. He's now being counted on to be the guy. It's time for him to show that he's capable of being that guy.

I think a lot of the talk about Quinn and others is still tentative. You're having people saying things like "If this continues the rest of the year..." and "If Beasley can't step up...". The jury is still out on a lot of stuff right now but so far the results have not been overly impressive and there's no real indication that things will change. So it's completely reasonable to start considering what should be done if things don't change. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. 

As for the no huddle, I'm not saying to run the no huddle exclusively. However, if you have the right guy under center you can rely heavily on the no huddle and be very, very dangerous. Guys like Manning and Brady are masters of it. I think Ryan has what it takes to run such an offense. He's never more in command than when running the hurry up. However, right now I'd be happy if Shanahan would swallow his pride and run the no huddle more often than one series a game outside of two minute drills. 

It's way too easy to blame the offensive struggles on execution. The fact is this team has maybe the best receiver in the game, a good number 2 receiver, two solid RBs, and a very good QB. If you're blaming execution then you have to consider whether you're asking the players to do things that don't fit them.

The main problem I have is the fact that I was hoping to see something different this year and the first game was like the second half of last season distilled down into 60 minutes. It's not time to rush to judgment but dissatisfaction is natural.

On Beasley, we 100% agree.  He does need to step up and now is that time to do so.

I just think it's way too early to start saying "if this continues" though, that's the problem I'm having with it.  Like I said, our fans should withhold that kind of talk until at least game 4 if not game 8.

As for the no huddle, I'll quote Matt Ryan "I think it's a lot being made of a little".

When I say execution, I mean things like Ryan missing an open receiver (see the first drive for example) occasionally.  Pre-snap penalties which have nothing to do with play calling.  Missed blocks.  I'll be the first to say I have zero confidence in Chris Chester.  Dropped passes.  None of those things have to do with the scheme.  The scheme is just fine for the players we have, it really is.  Of course, I'll also say the offense wasn't the problem Sunday so that's why the Shanahan and system talk is undeserved IMO.

Everyone's favorite coach, Belichick says that the first 4 games of the season are the real preseason as far as he's concerned and I'm inclined to agree.