So far it's been all about Quinn and Shanahan

RED_N_BLACK_98

Maybe we are looking at the wrong guys.  A HC is only as good as his supporting staff.   Seems to me that these guys have been skating through without any sort of scrutiny.

What is the QB coach being held accountable for?

Is Richard Smith only a DC in name only?

Who is really coaching this offensive line?  What methods are they using?

Linebacker coach?  What is it really?

I think Quinn is a great guy and a great defensive mind.  My concern is that AB hired him hoping to build Seattle East when really he was hiring Pete Carroll.  Quinn did not build that defense as he is being required to do her in Atlanta.

Also notice that most of Quinn's staff are his friends.  Another deadly combination.  How do you discipline your friends (buddies) if you have never had to before?

Let's face it:

Cox should be gone.  A holdover from the last regime that should not have happened.

We need coaches like this:

https://youtu.be/BsuJW11Wdts

Edited by RED_N_BLACK_98

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, RED_N_BLACK_98 said:

Maybe we are looking at the wrong guys.  A HC is only as good as his supporting staff.   Seems to me that these guys have been skating through without any sort of scrutiny.

What is the QB coach being held accountable for?

Is Richard Smith only a DC in name only?

Who is really coaching this offensive line?  What methods are they using?

Linebacker coach?  What is it really?

I think Quinn is a great guy and a great defensive mind.  My concern is that AB hired him hoping to build Seattle East when really he was hiring Pete Carroll.  Quinn did not build that defense as he is being required to do her in Atlanta.

Also notice that most of Quinn's staff are his friends.  Another deadly combination.  How do you discipline your friends (buddies) if you have never had to before?

Let's face it:

Cox should be gone.  A holdover from the last regime that should not have happened.

We need coaches like this:

https://youtu.be/BsuJW11Wdts

No TD is the one skating along as usual. Guy has 9 lives literally.

Edited by atlGM

15 minutes ago, Bring It said:

Will we EVER have a pass rush ???

Can you or I just order one on Amazon.com ??

This situation really gets me in a bad mood.  I have never seen a team suffer from the same issue for so long. 

17 minutes ago, atlGM said:

No TD is the one skating along as usual. Guy has 9 lives literally.

I really think TD has some secret videos of AB or someone close to him.  The only way I can explain him still be here.

10 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I just find it funny that we score 24 but KS is getting heat.  We gave up 31, but I bet alot of TAFT don't know the D coordinators name.

We could lose a game 49 - 47 and the majority here would STILL blame Shanahan. Penalties, fumbles, dropped passes, mindless STUPID penalties mean nothing.

8 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Dude, since Smith was announced, I don't recall too many threads about him.  Not saying he should be crucified, but which coordinator should be possibly taking heat, following Sunday. I mean overall, MR looked better than half the season last year and preseason.

I like Richard Smith, and I think he's a smart guy, but at some point you have to wonder what's up.

Then again, like I said in another thread, our franchise LT who cost us the 6th pick in the draft, looked lost last week too.  And if you watched last season, it was always one side of the ball playing poorly (usually the offense).  It was hardly ever both sides just crapping the bed.  So why can't we get both sides to play well at the same time?  

Having said that, I think last season you can easily chalk it up to learning a new offensive system.  But this season, IIRC, Quinn said he was going to spend more time with the whole team instead of concentrating so much on defense.  Well, maybe he needs to concentrate more on defense, specifically, help with the game plan.  And if the guy you hired to be the DC can't put together a game plan, maybe we need a new guy.

(none of that explains why our 8th overall pick from last year looks like he can't rush the passer, or why our franchise LT looks like he couldn't even stop the 8th overall pick from last year......)

22 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I just find it funny that we score 24 but KS is getting heat.  We gave up 31, but I bet alot of TAFT don't know the D coordinators name.

Let's face it, we still have a long way to go to get really physical, tough minded guys on this defense.  Anytime you have four defenders surrounding a running back and not one of them are able to tackle the guy, that's a huge problem that has nothing to do with coaching. 

14 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Let's face it, we still have a long way to go to get really physical, tough minded guys on this defense.  Anytime you have four defenders surrounding a running back and not one of them are able to tackle the guy, that's a huge problem that has nothing to do with coaching. 

To be fair, on that play Campbell basically picked 2 other guys off the play.  Alford had to leap over the bodies strewn by Simms on the way to the end zone.  SO while that play was egregious, it was mostly Campbell's fault for not keeping his gap and in the process taking the guys who should have made the play out of the play.

It was caused by being too aggressive, not by being too passive.

Just now, JDaveG said:

To be fair, on that play Campbell basically picked 2 other guys off the play.  Alford had to leap over the bodies strewn by Simms on the way to the end zone.  SO while that play was egregious, it was mostly Campbell's fault for not keeping his gap and in the process taking the guys who should have made the play out of the play.

It was caused by being too aggressive, not by being too passive.

Quinn emphasized turnovers in preseason and at times looked like we wanted a strip instead of a sound tackle.

Just now, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Quinn emphasized turnovers in preseason and at times looked like we wanted a strip instead of a sound tackle.

I said the same thing.  But Quinn also emphasized that the first guy to the ball wraps, the 2nd guy strips.  

Too often, the first guy was too worried about the strip to wrap.  It was ugly.

42 minutes ago, Bring It said:

We could lose a game 49 - 47 and the majority here would STILL blame Shanahan. Penalties, fumbles, dropped passes, mindless STUPID penalties mean nothing.

Well we know that won't happen since this trash offense hasn't topped 30 since week 4 last year

We scored 24 points in spite of KS not because he is a magician at OC. We have a ton of talent on offense a blind man could coach this offense to 24 points. This offense looks dis jointed and out of rythm all the time now. In the previous 8 years Ryan never looked this out of sorts even in his rookie year. So did Ryan forget how to play QB all of a sudden as soon as KS got hired? I doubt it.

Also Quinn is SUPPOSED to be a defensive master mind yet this defense is actually worse than last year.

Edited by MAD597

Quinn is out coaching himself.

Unconvincing choices

Quinn is known for utilizing multiple rotations and keeping players fresh. While he certainly used several different players, both defensive packages were underwhelming. After Vic Beasley was slated to play as a strongside linebacker, Quinn opted to play Phillip Wheeler at the position. Tyson Jackson was being used as a defensive tackle during preseason. The results were promising, as Jackson was pushing guards around in a three-tech role.

Quinn decided to shift Jackson back to the outside, while inserting Jonathan Babineauxinto the base package. That forced Derrick Shelby into lining up as a defensive tackle within their nickel package. Both decisions didn't make sense, as Jackson is a liability off the edge and Shelby consistently gets overpowered on the inside. Why is a natural defensive end being utilized on the interior, while an immobile prototypical 3-4 defensive end forced on the edge?

On Jameis Winston's impeccable touchdown pass to Mike Evans, the pocket was completely clean. That proved to be a reoccurring theme during the entire game. This included Winston's first quarter interception, as he had enough time in the pocket to make himself a cup of coffee. In the base package last season, Jackson and Kroy Biermann lined up as defensive ends. Jackson and Brooks Reed were used as defensive ends during yesterday's game, and there just isn't a semblance of hope that either is going to turn into a pass rushing asset.

The front office invested in Shelby to be a potential difference maker. Forcing him to primarily play as an interior pass rusher rather than utilize his strengths isn't sensible. He excelled as a left defensive end by playing the run well and overpowering opposing tackles. Shelby is known for his power, not speed or technique like Adrian Clayborn. Employing both of them on the inside will allow offenses to run up the middle without much resistance. They were acquired as defensive ends unlike Jonathan Babineaux, who is clearly a well-rounded defensive tackle and fit well in their nickel package. Moving Jackson and Shelby from their expected roles translated into negative outcomes for a porous defense.

54 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The point about Blank hiring Quinn but really thinking Pete Carroll is right

on the money.  I just don't see all this 'greatness'

that's supposedly dripping off Quinn.  I mean, I realize it's only 17 real games into

the era, but this team isn't even trending better.  It's trending worse. 

I think they're trying TOO HARD to be perfect. THAT can have a reverse effect.