Austin Hooper got some playing time!!!

gazoo

I didn't record the game and was watching at a friends with a bunch of people, but I saw Hooper in on several snaps, some down near goaline where I think he had a penalty, and he had the 14 yard reception.

I was relieved to see him playing so much and he didn't look lost, although I wasn't focused on him at all. The fact he played so many snaps means he's further ahead than I thought he was after preseason ended. We all better hope so, we need a TE that can split the seam and line up in red zone and is big and strong enough to fight for contested balls and catch them at the high point.

if anyone watched him more closely than me, let me know your thoughts on his blocking and route running.

1 minute ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Yeah man, I sure hope he comes on strong.  My hope is that he is getting his yips out of the way while he molds into a badazz TE for the birds.  

Sure hoping to see improvement across the board this year!

This is why I'm stoked he played what appeared to be several snaps.

(I'd love to get a Hooper snap count if anyone has access)

If he's playing this much out of the gate they must feel he's going to be able to help us significantly down the stretch.

5 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Hooper has shown me absolutely nothing to this point that suggests he is going to amount to anything. I really hope he develops into a great player, but I'm not seeing anything yet. 

For you to make that statement after his 1st NFL game..........you just proved you are a guy who doesn't understand player development.  

Anything less than instant gratification and you are banging your spoon on your high chair implying they are busts.

You don't know enough about football to be on this thread. I think there's a thread blaming Ryan for the loss that is ripe for your enlightenment though.

4 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Truthfully the other rookie TE has looked better then Hooper. That dude catches everything. Hooper is smart and it is early. Sometimes it takes time. He will come in I hope.

??

Tamme is the only other TE who caught a pass. We are talking in a n NFL game against starters, not preseason against 5th string defenders  who are bagging groceries today.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

For you to make that statement after his 1st NFL game..........you just proved you are a guy who doesn't understand player development.  

Anything less than instant gratification and you are banging your spoon on your high chair implying they are busts.

You don't know enough about football to be on this thread. I think there's a thread blaming Ryan for the loss that is ripe for your enlightenment though.

He did absolutely nothing during the preseason as well. I am not saying he can't/won't develop eventually. But as of yet (like I said before) there is nothing to be excited for. 

1 minute ago, YoungHeezy said:

He got a false start penalty at the half yard line that backed the team up to the 5 1/2, so that wasn't good, the catch he had was pretty nice tho. I want to see him in the 18-20 yard range 

I'm with you, I want to see him used more, as he gets more comfortable. I wonder how many here forget how much of the offseason and OTAs he missed because of being at stanford. My other post was just me being silly, in reality, I liked this pick and hope he does well for us for a long time

and he certainly wasn't the only guy on our team called for a stupid 'pre snap' penalty, that's for sure

1 hour ago, RYNE said:

Hooper has shown me absolutely nothing to this point that suggests he is going to amount to anything. I really hope he develops into a great player, but I'm not seeing anything yet. 

Most players don't begin their careers "on fire".  It took Roddy White a couple of years before he became a FORCE and Mr. Atlanta Falcon.