Five of the best seasons in the history of the Falcons started with a loss

k-train

1980: finished 12-4, won division
1991: finished 10-6, made playoffs as WC
2002: finished 9-6-1, made playoffs as WC
2010: finished 10-6, made playoffs as WC
2011: finished 13-3, won division

I think a few of these were even after starting 1-3 I believe.

The point is, don't get all worked up over one game... especially this early on, because there's still a ton of football left. Most of you should've learned that lesson after last season alone when we started so strong & then out of nowhere the wheels just came off. Anything is possible until we are mathematically eliminated & that's still a long, long, long way off this season of it happens at all.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

The point is, don't get all worked up over one game... especially this early on, because there's still a ton of football left. Most of you should've learned that lesson after last season alone when we started so strong & then out of nowhere the wheels just came off. Anything is possible until we are mathematically eliminated & that's still a long, long, long way off this season of it happens at all.

Any other year I may buy into your optimism, and I do appreciate it.  One game does not make or break a season, but our schedule is freaking murderers row...I don't forsee us coming through it even close to .500.  If this team does, and if they come out the other side with a winning record and a playoff birth, look out...they will have earned it and I will be thrilled to admit I was wrong.

That said, a lot of weirdness yesterday in the NFC...stranger things have happened than a franchise left for dead facing a huge uphill battle turns it around.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

NVM read it wrong

25 minutes ago, athell said:

Any other year I may buy into your optimism, and I do appreciate it.  One game does not make or break a season, but our schedule is freaking murderers row...I don't forsee us coming through it even close to .500.  If this team does, and if they come out the other side with a winning record and a playoff birth, look out...they will have earned it and I will be thrilled to admit I was wrong.

That said, a lot of weirdness yesterday in the NFC...stranger things have happened than a franchise left for dead facing a huge uphill battle turns it around.

I personally don't put too much stock in schedule strength this early on since it's entirely based around what a team did the year before. Otherwise, it's nothing more than speculation. Injuries, bad luck, coaching changes, etc. can easily impact a team that was good the previous year & make them suck this season. That happens to a few teams every year. Also, there are always a few that weren't expected to do well who end up surpassing those expectations.

I think we won't really begin to see the D fully realized until halfway through the season. Once Campbell & Jones get acclimated, Collins comes back, Neal comes back & gets acclimated, the rotation gets figured out on the d-line, it's gonna be 6 or 7 games in at that point. We'll probably lose some more like yesterday in those first several weeks, where the O does enough to win, but the D gives us a bit too much. However, if we can get everyone healthy & up to speed, they might begin to gel & improve at the right time, helping us finish strong & hopefully carrying that momentum into the playoffs. Then again, we could be doomed. We'll see...

3 hours ago, k-train said:

Nice post.

The problem is I am not looking at this as one game. I am looking at a continuation of a downward trend from last season. Same problems defensively and offensively do no give me much hope. Add that to all the west coast games and this will be one tough season. I  excited about the youth and no the season has just started but Atlanta really needed the world yesterday.

Watching the Steelers vs. Redskins on MNF, and they just said that the Steelers are winning only their 2nd opening game over the past 6 seasons. Now the Falcons are not the Steelers by any means right now, but it should tell you that opening day is not necessarily indicative of how the season will end. It's not how you start , but how you finish. GO FALCONS!