Beasley is a bust because of scheme fit...

Spts1

He dont fit Quinn's scheme. He needs to play linebacker in Todd Bowles, Wade Phiilips or Rex Ryan scheme. They let the linebackers attack the gaps. They overload gaps. He is not a fit in Atlanta because he needs help to get to the quarterback...

Edited by slickgadawg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, FalconinPA said:

Still to early to tell if Beasley is a bust, but the signs are not good. Can someone tell me why our DE's can never get to the Quarterback untouched on occasion like the Von Miller's of the world? You would think one of them would do this every once in a while. 

I'd like to see some different looks at he LOS. Some guys standing up, LBs showing blitz, something different. Seems to work for other teams..

2 minutes ago, Diesel_Bird said:

I'd like to see some different looks at he LOS. Some guys standing up, LBs showing blitz, something different. Seems to work for other teams..

There were different looks yesterday.  They went to a lot of Bear fronts on early downs.  That's why the run was stopped up so well.  And they showed a fair amount of Double-A Gap pressure where the two inside linebackers were showing blitz.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There were different looks yesterday.  They went to a lot of Bear fronts on early downs.  That's why the run was stopped up so well.  And they showed a fair amount of Double-A Gap pressure where the two inside linebackers were showing blitz.

How did Beasley look to you PFM?

I was one saying he's perfect for the scheme and I'll eat my crow as of now. He has shown NOTHING that I saw when scouting him. I didn't want him early in the process because of the reports of him weighing 220. Then when he showed up at 246 and put on a clinic, he went straight to the top of the board and didn't leave. But now, he shows nothing. He didn't close on 4.9 Winston on a rollout. He doesn't show 30 rep power. His spin doesn't show elite agility or balance. Just scouting his overall pro tape doesn't show much of anything to stand out. 

1 minute ago, Godzilla1985 said:

How did Beasley look to you PFM?

He had a great bull rush on one of the Bucs' first drives where he just bench pressed the right tackle and drove him back to the quarterback.  Someone else from the other side got the hit on Winson off a stunt.  I think it was Freeney.  

I didn't so much spotlight him.  I was looking at the unit as whole.

The line as a whole looked good.  The Bucs were getting all 5 receivers out early in the game because they obviously didn't expect much rush either... and they paid for it.  The defensive line was winning those 4 on 5 matchups.  That's why Winston was so off target early.  

Then they changed up the protections and went to that 6 and 7 man protections and got him some time.

20 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

Still to early to tell if Beasley is a bust, but the signs are not good. Can someone tell me why our DE's can never get to the Quarterback untouched on occasion like the Von Miller's of the world? You would think one of them would do this every once in a while. 

I've said this in a few threads.  They don't even try to get past a tackle. Ever.  As soon as the ball is snapped they rush directly at the tackles.  Its as if they're told to just try to bull rush to the QB every down.  I see guys all across the league just literally beat their guy untouched.  It has to be Cox.

The problem I have with Beasley (other than the shoulder) is that I don't see him being effective at either position DE or LB. He's too small with weak hands for a pass rusher and even with his speed, he's horrible in space and lacks physicality and instincts to stand up at OLB.

I'm almost open to the idea of bringing in the Kracken out of sheer desperation and frustration with Beasley. A top 10 pick at pass rusher in which we've needed for years and he looks terrible. This might be the pick I had the most confidence in out of all of TDs picks and it's starting to look like the worst. 

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

He had a great bull rush on one of the Bucs' first drives where he just bench pressed the right tackle and drove him back to the quarterback.  Someone else from the other side got the hit on Winson off a stunt.  I think it was Freeney.  

I didn't so much spotlight him.  I was looking at the unit as whole.

The line as a whole looked good.  The Bucs were getting all 5 receivers out early in the game because they obviously didn't expect much rush either... and they paid for it.  The defensive line was winning those 4 on 5 matchups.  That's why Winston was so off target early.  

Then they changed up the protections and went to that 6 and 7 man protections and got him some time.

Thanks man! Glad to hear an educated observation that the vile spewed out here by so many.

You spoke about how Tampa successfully adjusted their protections to counter our rush & how we unsuccessfully adjusted by blitzing.  What adjustment in your opinion SHOULD the Falcons have made to counter the Bucs adjustments?

10 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

I've said this in a few threads.  They don't even try to get past a tackle. Ever.  As soon as the ball is snapped they rush directly at the tackles.  Its as if they're told to just try to bull rush to the QB every down.  I see guys all across the league just literally beat their guy untouched.  It has to be Cox.

This is kinda where I was going (the bolded). It has to be. Abe is the only one that I saw do it when he was here

1 minute ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Thanks man! Glad to hear an educated observation that the vile spewed out here by so many.

You spoke about how Tampa successfully adjusted their protections to counter our rush & how we unsuccessfully adjusted by blitzing.  What adjustment in your opinion SHOULD the Falcons have made to counter the Bucs adjustments?

If an offense goes to that type of protection and only sends out three receivers then it has to fall on the coverage to do the job.  In those cases I would have liked to have seen a little more man coverage -- even out of the blitzes.  But the coaching staff (I'm guessing) made the calculated decision to zone it off, because they didn't love their matchups.  

EDIT: I just heard Quinn say in the press conference they played about 10 snaps in man to see how they would handle it.

I did notice they had some issues in man early, and it was only the hits on Jameis that stopped the damage.  I know Jameis missed #11 on a wide open receiver and Seferian-Jenkins was giving them some fits underneath.

I'd have to go back and see if the touchdowns to Jenkins and Evans were in man or not to be totally sure.  

But to fully answer your question. The defense just has to execute what they're doing better.  There's only so many schemes coaches can pull out in any given scenerio.  As intellectual as football is, most of the time it just comes down to your players whipping the other guy's players.

If the call is zone, and it's 3 receivers vs. 7 in coverage then they gotta do a better job of matching the routes.  Trusting the technique, following the quarterback's eyes, etc.  

Just now, atlGM said:

You have 0 idea of what your talking about . 

Actually, he does. And frankly, if Beasley can't make a go of it in this scheme, he pretty much won't make a go of it in any scheme. 

Beasley is working hard, he will figure it all out. Sometimes especially for a young pass rusher, they overthink things until they don't. And then it just clicks.