I believe the defense will improve

JD dirtybird21

Yesterday's loss was obviously extremely frustrating. But, I re-watched the game this morning and dissected a lot of stuff that actually tells me that our defense will be better than last year. For one, players were ALL over the ball. Any time Winston threw a check down pass behind the first down marker, our guys were there immediately to stop them. Huge improvement in tackling and speed. 

As for the pass rush, 0 sacks is obviously "typical Falcons defense" but, if you watched the game, pass rush was there. Winston threw a few bad passes due to being pressured and we actually hit him quite a few times. 

Now for the Bucs scoring drives. They scored points on a total of 5 possessions. On 3 of them, they needed a 3rd down penalty by the Falcons to stay alive. On the other 2, they had momentum and we need to credit both Austin Jenkins and Mike Evans for making such great catches. They were in a good rhythm, it happens to good players. Let's look at the 5 drives:

1st drive: On 3rd and 4, De'Vondre Campbell commits a pass interference penalty for not turning his head. Drive continues, Bucs get a field goal

2nd drive: On 3rd and 2, Winston runs and fails to pick up the 1st. Penalty on Clayborn, offsides. Drive continues, Bucs score TD

3rd drive: Great play by Sims, horrible tackling by us. Defense deserves to be ridiculed for this play

4th drive: Bucs come out with a great game plan moving the ball rapidly and Jenkins makes a spectacular catch on a well defended play. 

5th drive: It's 3rd and 8 and the Bucs are backed onto their own 10. Pass is incomplete. We commit not one but 2 penalties. Personal Foul and Defensive holding. Drive continues, Mike Evans makes a beautiful catch on a beautiful dime from Winston.

Our defense was clearly a disappointment yesterday. But, I still saw the potential. 3 penalties on 3rd down is going to demoralize ANY young defense. Especially against an offense that has weapons like Martin, Evans, and Winston. And speaking of those weapons, they made 2 incredible plays that got them TD's. Give this defense a little more time and I think they'll actually surprise some people. And I am on record for blaming the defense for losing us the game yesterday. But, the difference I saw from yesterday's defense versus the 2013 and 2014 defense was mental errors and fluky stuff versus poor tackling and ZERO pressure on the QB. 

Just my take, I think our D is going to be better as the season goes on. I could see us starting the season 3-3 or even 2-4 but finishing strong as the team gels together and builds more chemistry. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see it.  19 sacks last year was beyond pitiful, and 0 in the first game is not going to get it done.  Maybe I am just tired of trying to be optimistic, but things are compounded when guys like Chris Long were available, and we didn't make it happen.  We are asking way to much of our LB's and our Secondary to keep carrying the torch.  Beasly didn't do jack yesterday, Reed didn't do jack yesterday, etc. 

We continually make opposing QB's look like Tom Brady, and I am just tired of believing "this year will be different".  I'm 45, a life long fan, and I am starting to believe we will never have a decent period of sustaining a winning team.

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It's the penalty thing that concerns me because it was the same thing last year and it's still an issue.

Oh and btw this wasn't against Brees, Netwon, Rogers, or Brady.... This was 2nd year man Winston and the Falcons defense made him look like Brees, Newton, Rogers, etc.

The penalties can be corrected. Those are mental mistakes and not talent issues. 2nd year man Winston deserves respect, you're treating him as if he's not that good. He was the 1st overall pick, in his 2nd year, with weapons. Is it possible that he may just be a legitimate quarterback?

21 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I just don't see it.  19 sacks last year was beyond pitiful, and 0 in the first game is not going to get it done.  Maybe I am just tired of trying to be optimistic, but things are compounded when guys like Chris Long were available, and we didn't make it happen.  We are asking way to much of our LB's and our Secondary to keep carrying the torch.  Beasly didn't do jack yesterday, Reed didn't do jack yesterday, etc. 

We continually make opposing QB's look like Tom Brady, and I am just tired of believing "this year will be different".  I'm 45, a life long fan, and I am starting to believe we will never have a decent period of sustaining a winning team.

You gotta stop looking at last year and years prior. They really have no bearing on this season

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The penalties can be corrected. Those are mental mistakes and not talent issues. 2nd year man Winston deserves respect, you're treating him as if he's not that good. He was the 1st overall pick, in his 2nd year, with weapons. Is it possible that he may just be a legitimate quarterback?

I heard that last year too and so far they haven't been so I'm sure you understand if I question if this staff can do that.

And Winston may be good. I'm saying that the defense made him look great.  BIG difference there.

I think the defense will also improve.  I mean there were a few times when I couldn't believe Winston got the pass out and thought he was sacked.  Our rookies are making some mistakes but I thought everyone here understood that.  I am going to say a prayer for Beasley though cause he needs all the help he can get right now.

26 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

yes, cause we can force FAs into signing. dammit why didn t we!  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I heard that last year too and so far they haven't been so I'm sure you understand if I question if this staff can do that.

And Winston may be good. I'm saying that the defense made him look great.  BIG difference there.

Or maybe he's great and he just made our defense look like ****?

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

I don't see it. He was going to a contender, and we weren't it.

Possibly.  But we at least let him walk without an offer once.  If you covet a free agent, you don't let him leave the building...see Bears and Sitton.

Not that Chris Long fixes anything really, but I think he could have been a Falcon if they really wanted him to be one.

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yesterday's loss was obviously extremely frustrating. But, I re-watched the game this morning and dissected a lot of stuff that actually tells me that our defense will be better than last year. For one, players were ALL over the ball. Any time Winston threw a check down pass behind the first down marker, our guys were there immediately to stop them. Huge improvement in tackling and speed. 

As for the pass rush, 0 sacks is obviously "typical Falcons defense" but, if you watched the game, pass rush was there. Winston threw a few bad passes due to being pressured and we actually hit him quite a few times. 

Now for the Bucs scoring drives. They scored points on a total of 5 possessions. On 3 of them, they needed a 3rd down penalty by the Falcons to stay alive. On the other 2, they had momentum and we need to credit both Austin Jenkins and Mike Evans for making such great catches. They were in a good rhythm, it happens to good players. Let's look at the 5 drives:

1st drive: On 3rd and 4, De'Vondre Campbell commits a pass interference penalty for not turning his head. Drive continues, Bucs get a field goal

2nd drive: On 3rd and 2, Winston runs and fails to pick up the 1st. Penalty on Clayborn, offsides. Drive continues, Bucs score TD

3rd drive: Great play by Sims, horrible tackling by us. Defense deserves to be ridiculed for this play

4th drive: Bucs come out with a great game plan moving the ball rapidly and Jenkins makes a spectacular catch on a well defended play. 

5th drive: It's 3rd and 8 and the Bucs are backed onto their own 10. Pass is incomplete. We commit not one but 2 penalties. Personal Foul and Defensive holding. Drive continues, Mike Evans makes a beautiful catch on a beautiful dime from Winston.

Our defense was clearly a disappointment yesterday. But, I still saw the potential. 3 penalties on 3rd down is going to demoralize ANY young defense. Especially against an offense that has weapons like Martin, Evans, and Winston. And speaking of those weapons, they made 2 incredible plays that got them TD's. Give this defense a little more time and I think they'll actually surprise some people. And I am on record for blaming the defense for losing us the game yesterday. But, the difference I saw from yesterday's defense versus the 2013 and 2014 defense was mental errors and fluky stuff versus poor tackling and ZERO pressure on the QB. 

Just my take, I think our D is going to be better as the season goes on. I could see us starting the season 3-3 or even 2-4 but finishing strong as the team gels together and builds more chemistry. 

Exactly my take 

13 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Very true, but I think that may be a product of him not being tested that much.  I'm hoping he anticipates that more in the future.

He better get used to being tested. There are alot more teams with dual threats at wide out on the schedule, starting this week. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

He better get used to being tested. There are alot more teams with dual threats at wide out on the schedule, starting this week. 

Seriously.  Cooper and Crabtree are the truth, this will be a test for Tru and Alf even more than Evans and VJax.  And we will get to see almost Falcon Khalil Mack literally murder our QB so that's cool!

People need to relax. I mean we had two rookies starting at LB, I was expecting a few growing pains from them in the first game (penalty on Campbell, Jones not playing the ball on Brate TD). The penalties were a bummer (Clay) and no one likes a loss, but I will still support my team. I still have faith they will correct their mistakes and get the Win in Oakland. Yea Beasley was frustrating but let's give the man the chance to rebound before throwing him under the bus.

Just now, Crazy Trav said:

People need to relax. I mean we had two rookies starting at LB, I was expecting a few growing pains from them in the first game (penalty on Campbell, Jones not playing the ball on Brate TD). The penalties were a bummer (Clay) and no one likes a loss, but I will still support my team. I still have faith they will correct their mistakes and get the Win in Oakland. Yea Beasley was frustrating but let's give the man the chance to rebound before throwing him under the bus.

No one is throwing Beasley under the bus.

Beasley is spinning under the bus all by himself : /